3.0 out of 5 stars Delivers on promise..., July 26 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Madden NFL 2001: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Paperback)
I ordered this guide in direct contrast to the reviews listed here. I usually only purchase books that have at least 4 or more stars. I think some of the reviews were a little unfair, although apparently the reviewer's expectations were not met.
I ordered the guide mainly for the plays being spelled out. I just received my guide, and I have to say that it delivers what it says it will deliver above. I must admit that it falls short of the things that the other Prima guides provide. The other Prima guides provide strategies and maps to win in arcade type games. Madden is designed to be as realistic-as-possible, thus any tips won't work all the time. I tried the tips from gamesfaq.com, and the situation has to be right for them to work all the time. With this in mind, the tips in the guide are fine.
Overall, I think that it is a good general guide. I recommend using it with the tips from gamesfaq.com. Keep in mind that any tips depend on your knowledge of the game and the situation. I think that this is what makes Madden a great simulator. I don't know ..., but I am satisfied with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of a few good trees, Nov. 7 2000
Daniel B. Norton (Naperville, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I had purchased the book with the anticipation of Prima's supreme insight. What I got was an outdated version of Football for dummies. The Nintendo64 and PSone info may be accurate, yet not for the PS2 version. If the editors of the book would have tried to play the PS2 version before they did their job maybe they would realize that half of the stupid checklist (PS2 version) in the back of the book is incorrect, and that is just the beginning of the errors. The rosters save people from cycling through them in the menu system of the game, half the playbooks are incorrect to a degree in the PS2 game. An example is the halfback pass in Vince Tobin's playbook, which on the PS2 version does not exist. The strategy is pretty useful, assuming that you have lived under a rock and recently discovered the sport of football. The team by team breakdown is somewhat useful if you want a glorified NFL picture book, which also makes it easy to read. I have read parts of the Everquest: Ruins of Kunark strategy guide by Prima and found it amazing. I was dissapointed to see that the information involving the PS2 version of Madden NFL 2001 was not completely accurate. The book should have not made any mention of the PS2 if so much of its content did not pertain to the Playstation2 version. The game is awesome. Instant recommendation. The guide however, I will only recommend if you do not own the PS2 version, unleess they update it now that the game has been released.

1.0 out of 5 stars They should pay YOU to buy it., Oct. 8 2000
Scott Kallen (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This is the poorest excuse for a strategy guide I have ever seen. I hardly discusses strategy at all -- it gives the shallowest of descriptions and doesn't discuss the pieces of the game that are the most critical -- switching to Bump and Run and a myriad of other advanced options.
I read the manual to learn the basics. I bought this thinking it would go more in-depth. Truly pathetic. Additionally, the screen shots are confusing or wrong and come from Madden 2000, not 2001!
If you're looking for insight into Madden 2001, look elsewhere. This is a definite Loser of a guide. If I could give this 0 or less Stars, I would--but the system won't allow it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Madden 2001 Strategy Guide, Jan. 1 2002
MRC (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
I had to judge for myself after reading the reviews and needing a guide for Madden 2001. This guide is total garbage. It showed me nothing I didn't figure out on my own before I got the guide and gave me no insights on franchise play, drafting, or even playing the game. Even as a replacement for a lost game manual it would be worthless. This is the worst purchase of a Prima product I have ever made. My money would have been better spent being burned. The guide is a glorified sales manual for Madden 2001. I'll see the next prima guide before I buy it. If I buy one of their's again.

1.0 out of 5 stars I returned it immediately, Jan. 13 2001
Ray Salemi (Framingham, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I never would have bought this if I had seen in in the store. It does nothing well. It doesn't even explain how to read the play diagrams when you call plays. It has no opinion on controllers or how to use them. The advice for running a franchise or creating a gameplan consists of one vanilla paragraph.
Sad to see it associated with such a great game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Madden2001, Sept. 8 2000
Chris Euler (Centerport, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This is a pretty good strategy guide, but i don't think that it is necessary to play the game. It's mostly just rosters and players, and is good to buy if you are a real madden fanatic. The game is totally awesome this year, but the guide isn't a must.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless, Does Everything Inadequately, Dec 9 2000
B "B Stewart" (Dallas, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
The complex is not covered at all. The simple is not covered adequately to understand. It assumes you know everything it does not tell you, which is not much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorely Disappointed, Jan. 14 2001
Susan M. Sackrison (Louisville, CO USA) - See all my reviews
Was really disappointed with this. The embedded graphics were lousy and the book just didn't give any strategies or help. So much for Prima's Guides

1.0 out of 5 stars not really very helpful, June 19 2001
Amazon Customer (Hiawassee, ga United States) - See all my reviews
Don't waste your money go to gamefaqs.com for free stategy guides and cheats

Madden NFL 2001: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Madden NFL 2001: Prima's Official Strategy Guide by Mark Cohen (Paperback - Aug. 17 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.11