4.0 out of 5 stars You want it? You asked for it.
Published on April 6 2007 by A. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Believe every word...
Published on May 25 2009 by R. Paulsen

4.0 out of 5 stars You want it? You asked for it., April 6 2007
A. Harris (Winnipeg, MB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
If you're looking for a book to lead you to thinness while eating cheeseburgers, pop, and all your favorite junkfoods... If you're looking for a book that explains why it's not your fault you're fat... If you're looking for a simple solution to your weight problem... this book is not for you. If, however, you are interested in learning the facts about a way of eating that leads to optimal health and a fabulous figure, READ IT. Keep in mind (and this goes for you haters out there and those with thin skin): While you can't judge a book by it's cover, with a title like "Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous," you can be confident that the contents of that book aren't a candy-coated cake-walk to thinness. Prepare yourself for some harsh truth. You asked for the tough-love, and you're gonna get it. (And for the record, it works!)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my eating habits forever., Aug. 5 2010
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
Cutting to the chase: This book is a push for veganism, citing the utter cruelty of slaughterhouses and the health dangers of meat and dairy products, as well as processed foods in general.

Until last week I was a meat eater - I bought the book on a short haul flight and by the end of the plane journey has committed to becoming a vegetarian. A few months ago I had watched a documentary on slaughterhouses which had disgusted me to the core, but this book showed me that what I had seen on that film was actually standard, to-code practice, and the realities were even worse than I had seen. I spent a week on holiday, a time I had given myself to enjoy meat for the last time after resolving not to eat the stuff anymore, only to find that when I did eat it, images and facts from Skinny Bitch really prevented me from enjoying it.

My motivation for buying this book was to lose weight. Now there are lots of bits in this book which were common knowledge, but reading them all at once and having your brain factually bombarded somehow made all the things I sort of already knew really set in, and forced me to seriously evaluate what I was putting in my body and why (ie. soda). The writing style is funny, as long as you're not easily offended by profanities, and the book doesn't over-simplify key topics.

I'd recommend this book wholeheartedly, and this is from someone who was neither a vegan nor a vegetarian! Even if you don't decide to become a veggie after reading this book, at least you will be armed with more knowledge than you had going in. My partner is currently reading my copy of the book, then it's off to my friend who has shown strong interest in reading it too.

If you're looking even slightly for a lifestyle change, or just know that what you are doing now doesn't feel quite right, as I felt, then try reading Skinny Bitch. It might just change your life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Believe every word..., May 25 2009
R. Paulsen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I bought this for my best friend and ended up reading it myself first! Yes, I was surprised by HOW harsh the language was and I had no idea it was geared toward a vegan lifestyle when I picked it up, but I had no choice but to agree with what was written. The girls go a little over the top with their aggressiveness but one could also call them 'zealous'. They give lots of options for eating meat alternatives. #Although, why do we need meat 'alternatives' when meat is unnatural to eat in the first place?# We are given some really good food for thought that should make us re-examine what we are putting into the bodies that we were given. And yes, they also emphasize an active lifestyle in addition to healthy eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tells it like it is, May 26 2013
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
These girls tell it exactly as it is with no hesitation. When it comes to eating healthy, that's what I need. You can't get much easier than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, April 25 2013
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
This is a funny approach to reality. I like how it made me laugh at the truth. I will definitely share this book out with family, enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Newly Vegan and Looking For A Kick In The A$$?, Jan. 11 2013
Jhuzen Ketsugo "Ketsy Baby" (Toronto, On CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I was already on the road to going vegan when I picked up this title, so I had some idea what was in store. I knew that it was about cutting out the crap food and going for the nutrition. If you are interested in becoming a vegan and want a wake-up to motivate you further, then this is a good read for you. Some of the nutrition information was really helpful, but yes, there is a lot of impetus to go organic vegan. This does not mean that there is nothing for you to eat, there is in fact "everything else" but animal products to eat, and that is a lot.

If you are not looking for a vegan diet, then I would say skip this title, there are other diet plans for you. This is a book about a lifestyle change and a paradigm shift. Changing your world view to change the way you treat your own body. It may not be for everyone, but I found it refreshing and bold.

Kindle Edition Note: There are some serious flaws in the Kindle edition, such as repeating parts of sentences and apparently split apart chapters, so consider that before picking up this version. It didn't bother me too much, but some people will find it confusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life!, Sept. 10 2010
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
This book is amazing! As the authors note in their book - it's not about being skinny, but about being healthy and feeling good. The title is a great way to catch people's attention. Who would pick it up if it reads "guide to healthy living" ---BORING :-) This book is very informative, honest and easy to follow.
I feel great, I look great and I am much more mindful about my environment. I HIGHLY recommend this book. Thanks to Rory and Kim for writing this book!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars So so, Aug. 18 2010
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I'm already a vegan (10+ years). For me the book weighed too much on the animal rights side and not enough on the healthy lifestyle side. There wasn't a lot of practical go-to stuff included in the book (though the meal plan is nice). Rather, there are a lot of lists of what is in non-vegan food/processed food that will make you sick. They are meant to shock, but my eyes tended to glaze over them--It was like reading long lists of names in the bible, "and hydrogenated oil begat trans fat, and trans fat begat casin, and casin begat refined sugar." It was kind of boring.

I was disappointed by the focus of the book. Not the motivating, practical, tough-talk guide I thought it would be. I probably won't be picking up any of the other books.

That said, it was a super quick read. If you're looking for motivation to go vegan, maybe it will work for you. But, if you're already a vegan it will probably just be old news.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not For Everyone, June 21 2007
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
This is a book for women who want to lose weight. Its catch is that it uses 'straight talk' to convey its ideas about how to lose weight. Do not buy this book if you are offended by profanity, which is abundant in the book. I can't really say that this is a 'diet' book, rather it is more of a diet 'method' book which teaches you what and what not to do and you go from there.

The book starts out by telling you quite bluntly (which is the tone of the whole book) what you need to give up, such as smoking and soda. A large part of the book is devoted to telling the reader what to eat and what not to eat. It covers areas such as carbs, sugars, meats, protein, etc. Some of the ideas can come across a bit controversial at times, but the authors do cite their sources which they are to be commended for doing. The book also contains a pretty big list of foods that are okay to buy in case you get confused. All-in-all its an easy to read book that is fairly short and easy to follow. However, the tone of the book will not appeal to everyone. Also recommend The Sixty-Second Motivator as dietary changes are useless unless you're motivated to stick with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough love, No-Nonsense Look at Food, Jan. 31 2006
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
Too often, in the diet and nutrition section of a bookstore, we are faced with a barrage of fluffy books, based around the latest diet fad on Oprah, and pawning on peoples desperation to slim down that they will buy anything to try for 5 minutes.
This book isn't like that.
When I first bought the book I wasn't sure what I was in for. All I knew is that I had a bit of weight to lose and I needed some tough love. I didn't want a fad diet and this book didn't gove off thevibe of being at all about a fad. What I wasn't expecting was an empassioned manifesto on the virtures of plant-based eating and the cruelties of factory farming. Truly - this book opened my eyes. It has also shrunken my waistline. By applying what this book told me, I have lost almost 5 inches off my waist in 3 weeks and am still going. This book introduced me to the harsh realities of what I was eating and WHY I had gained so much weight in such a short time after adding poultry and fish and leaving 7 years of ovo-lacto vegetarianism. I'm back to Ovo-Lacto again and am working on becoming a full vegan.
The book is both strikingly sharp and hilariously funny. They are very serious when it comes to what is happening int he world, but you can feel their light-hearted take on life. It feels real as you are reading and the authours are not trying to fill you with fluff. They don't tell you you can eat junk and still lose weight. They don't encourage you to eat nothing but protien and they tell you what doing so will do to your liver. It is sharp. It is insightful. It is real.
I have since read books like "Fast Food Nation" and "Diet for a New America". These have only further shown me that I am on the right track and have made a choice that benefits my body AND the earth. After all - the earth is only ours to borrow for a short time - we should do everything we can to protect it for our future generations.
Skinny Bitch has given me the strength to start on my journey to health and fitness. If you are ready to open your mind and your eyes, it can do the same for you.

Skinny Bitch
Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman (Paperback - Dec 27 2005)
CDN$ 14.95 CDN$ 10.79