4.0 out of 5 stars You want it? You asked for it.
If you're looking for a book to lead you to thinness while eating cheeseburgers, pop, and all your favorite junkfoods... If you're looking for a book that explains why it's not your fault you're fat... If you're looking for a simple solution to your weight problem... this book is not for you. If, however, you are interested in learning the facts about a way of eating...
Published on April 6 2007 by A. Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful read
The first 10 pages are good. The rest is to promote soy, and bash milk and protein. Don't waste your time or money.
Published 9 months ago by Nadia Kumar

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough love, No-Nonsense Look at Food, Jan. 31 2006
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
Too often, in the diet and nutrition section of a bookstore, we are faced with a barrage of fluffy books, based around the latest diet fad on Oprah, and pawning on peoples desperation to slim down that they will buy anything to try for 5 minutes.
This book isn't like that.
When I first bought the book I wasn't sure what I was in for. All I knew is that I had a bit of weight to lose and I needed some tough love. I didn't want a fad diet and this book didn't gove off thevibe of being at all about a fad. What I wasn't expecting was an empassioned manifesto on the virtures of plant-based eating and the cruelties of factory farming. Truly - this book opened my eyes. It has also shrunken my waistline. By applying what this book told me, I have lost almost 5 inches off my waist in 3 weeks and am still going. This book introduced me to the harsh realities of what I was eating and WHY I had gained so much weight in such a short time after adding poultry and fish and leaving 7 years of ovo-lacto vegetarianism. I'm back to Ovo-Lacto again and am working on becoming a full vegan.
The book is both strikingly sharp and hilariously funny. They are very serious when it comes to what is happening int he world, but you can feel their light-hearted take on life. It feels real as you are reading and the authours are not trying to fill you with fluff. They don't tell you you can eat junk and still lose weight. They don't encourage you to eat nothing but protien and they tell you what doing so will do to your liver. It is sharp. It is insightful. It is real.
I have since read books like "Fast Food Nation" and "Diet for a New America". These have only further shown me that I am on the right track and have made a choice that benefits my body AND the earth. After all - the earth is only ours to borrow for a short time - we should do everything we can to protect it for our future generations.
Skinny Bitch has given me the strength to start on my journey to health and fitness. If you are ready to open your mind and your eyes, it can do the same for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, May 31 2012
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
Although I enjoyed the tone of the book and had a few chuckles. Allow me to sum up the book for you: Go vegan and eat organic. That is the only message that came through (that and some of the graphic images of animal cruelty that I can't seem to shake).

2.0 out of 5 stars So so, Aug. 18 2010
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I'm already a vegan (10+ years). For me the book weighed too much on the animal rights side and not enough on the healthy lifestyle side. There wasn't a lot of practical go-to stuff included in the book (though the meal plan is nice). Rather, there are a lot of lists of what is in non-vegan food/processed food that will make you sick. They are meant to shock, but my eyes tended to glaze over them--It was like reading long lists of names in the bible, "and hydrogenated oil begat trans fat, and trans fat begat casin, and casin begat refined sugar." It was kind of boring.

I was disappointed by the focus of the book. Not the motivating, practical, tough-talk guide I thought it would be. I probably won't be picking up any of the other books.

That said, it was a super quick read. If you're looking for motivation to go vegan, maybe it will work for you. But, if you're already a vegan it will probably just be old news.

5.0 out of 5 stars No-Nonsense Indeed!, March 28 2008
Charlene Pyper "cucco_cojiro" (Alliston ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I love this book. Its witty, in your face attitude kept me hooked from beginning to end. The authors are not afraid to tell it like it is, plus they use sources to back up their info (unlike many other diet books). Sometimes they make you feel like an idiot: "Of course milk makes you fat! Milk turns a 90lb calf into a 450lb cow! Duh!" And the recommended food list is very helpful. Not only will you become skinny, you will be healthy as well! For more reading on how foods affect your health, get 'The China Study'. For more reading on the meat industry, get 'Slaughterhouse' or 'The Food Revolution'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not For Everyone, June 21 2007
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
This is a book for women who want to lose weight. Its catch is that it uses 'straight talk' to convey its ideas about how to lose weight. Do not buy this book if you are offended by profanity, which is abundant in the book. I can't really say that this is a 'diet' book, rather it is more of a diet 'method' book which teaches you what and what not to do and you go from there.

The book starts out by telling you quite bluntly (which is the tone of the whole book) what you need to give up, such as smoking and soda. A large part of the book is devoted to telling the reader what to eat and what not to eat. It covers areas such as carbs, sugars, meats, protein, etc. Some of the ideas can come across a bit controversial at times, but the authors do cite their sources which they are to be commended for doing. The book also contains a pretty big list of foods that are okay to buy in case you get confused. All-in-all its an easy to read book that is fairly short and easy to follow. However, the tone of the book will not appeal to everyone. Also recommend The Sixty-Second Motivator as dietary changes are useless unless you're motivated to stick with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be deceived by the title, Aug. 27 2007
Saya "Kaijin" (Anjou, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
This book has a silly name and is clearly more marketable towards women, but I honestly think that everyone should read this book. Even if you don't conform to their way of life (mainly vegetarian and organic) it's okay, as long as you are well informed of what you are putting into your mouth. You may start to think twice about it. It's easy to understand and funny most of the time which doesn't make it seem like you are reading a diet book. It's rather short but to the point, no beating around the bush, so you know what they recommend you eat. I've gradually give up meat and let me tell you when you have the options we have today, you don't really miss it. It's a very informative book that everyone should read. And yes, milk does produce mucus (which is why singers don't drink it). It's narrow-minded to completely write off this book, and if you doubt their facts, do some of your own research. Are you willing to sacrifice your health because you want to look the other way and refuse to acknowledge potential dangers you use to assume (or were told) were safe. I'm certainly not going to play games or take chances with my health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious yet informative!, Feb. 18 2006
H. Bellock "nutrition junkie" (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I bought this book because it is frank, honest, and outright funny! It's a rare thing for me to be laughing OUT LOUD as I peruse the bookstore, but this book is a great read. Yes it has some harsh facts about cutting through the crap that is considered a "normal" diet. But in this day and age, we all know that normal is overweight and/or unhealthy- so frankly I am glad to break from conformity! I have to say the biggest point this book can stress is the whole NO DAIRY attitude. What most people (myself included) don't know that there are substitutes for milk, ice cream, etc that taste absolutly GREAT! (fake butter better than REAL butter!) And you will freak out at how much better you feel and look if you get that garbage out of your system, it is truly amazing! Your skinny jeans become your every day jeans, if that isn't reason enough to give it a go! Even if you just read this book for the comic relief, it is well worth your time and hopefully some of their ideas will "click" with you to make positive changes in your life and health. Happy reading!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Nutritional book EVER!!!, Feb. 20 2013
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
This book was a complete waste of time and money. Very narrow minded advise. Would not recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, and truthful. Loved it!, Feb. 20 2009
S. Lindley (Toronto, Ont) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
Peppered with profanity and blunt. Filled with honesty stated the way a best friend, who is sick of hearing you complain about your body, would state it. I laughed my head off!
Actual facts about food! No lies, or ulterior motives, just the facts and evidence. I could see how this would be a hard read for someone who loves their daily dose of animal flesh, but sorry, being vegan works, which they prove. I did however, have to skip a few pages of meat and dairy details that i am already aware of. Yuck.
I went vegan a year and a half ago and after a seven year battle with fat, depression, and constipation so bad doctors were stumped, and the results were, daily 'movements' that had me wanting to high five strangers, and a twenty pound weight loss that had me so energized, happy and active that i wanted to wear bikinis to work and jog home. I ate more food than ever before in my life and finally learned to really cook (leaving a brick of meat in the oven for an hour isn't cooking, girls). There's billions of vegan recipes out there! Yum!
This book should be in schools. It'd of saved me years of yo-yoing with meat and dairy, and constant sickness and body issues. And no, i'm not a granola eating hippy (not that there's a thing wrong with that) or a whimpy anemic mess. I am strong and all smiles. I'm no different than these two wonderful, straight talking authors. THANK YOU!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not everyone's style, Jan. 8 2009
mommyj (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
This book was a good read, but certainly not the best I have read. It was a little too profane for my taste at times. However, I do think that it was an entertaining read and even funny.

The main reason I picked up the book was to see what all the fuss was about; I wanted to read their funny and blunt commentary on the North American lifestyle. I figured it was a normal diet/lifestyle book so I was only reading for entertainment value. But, to my pleasant, very pleasant surprise, it was a PRO-VEGAN book.

I am a Vegan, and was NOT expecting this book to be Vegan, so my natural reaction was yay! But immediately after, it was "wait, what?"

You see, as a Vegan, I can say that the way Veganism was stuffed down the reader's mouth is unfair and not very tactful. I feel the best way to teach others is to openly inform others in a non-threatening sort of way. Ultimately it is everyone's choice to choose a path that suits them best.

While I admire the ladies attempt to shock the normal reader into the atrocities of the meat industry - perhaps this puts a bad taste in people's mouths about Veganism.

I give it 3 out of 5 for this surprise. Other than that, take what you want, leave the rest. Still a good read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xc48f8798)

Skinny Bitch
Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman (Paperback - Dec 27 2005)
CDN$ 14.95 CDN$ 10.79