4.0 out of 5 stars You want it? You asked for it.
If you're looking for a book to lead you to thinness while eating cheeseburgers, pop, and all your favorite junkfoods... If you're looking for a book that explains why it's not your fault you're fat... If you're looking for a simple solution to your weight problem... this book is not for you. If, however, you are interested in learning the facts about a way of eating...
Published on April 6 2007 by A. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Believe every word...
I bought this for my best friend and ended up reading it myself first! Yes, I was surprised by HOW harsh the language was and I had no idea it was geared toward a vegan lifestyle when I picked it up, but I had no choice but to agree with what was written. The girls go a little over the top with their aggressiveness but one could also call them 'zealous'. They give lots...
Published on May 25 2009 by R. Paulsen

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough love, No-Nonsense Look at Food, Jan. 31 2006
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
Too often, in the diet and nutrition section of a bookstore, we are faced with a barrage of fluffy books, based around the latest diet fad on Oprah, and pawning on peoples desperation to slim down that they will buy anything to try for 5 minutes.
This book isn't like that.
When I first bought the book I wasn't sure what I was in for. All I knew is that I had a bit of weight to lose and I needed some tough love. I didn't want a fad diet and this book didn't gove off thevibe of being at all about a fad. What I wasn't expecting was an empassioned manifesto on the virtures of plant-based eating and the cruelties of factory farming. Truly - this book opened my eyes. It has also shrunken my waistline. By applying what this book told me, I have lost almost 5 inches off my waist in 3 weeks and am still going. This book introduced me to the harsh realities of what I was eating and WHY I had gained so much weight in such a short time after adding poultry and fish and leaving 7 years of ovo-lacto vegetarianism. I'm back to Ovo-Lacto again and am working on becoming a full vegan.
The book is both strikingly sharp and hilariously funny. They are very serious when it comes to what is happening int he world, but you can feel their light-hearted take on life. It feels real as you are reading and the authours are not trying to fill you with fluff. They don't tell you you can eat junk and still lose weight. They don't encourage you to eat nothing but protien and they tell you what doing so will do to your liver. It is sharp. It is insightful. It is real.
I have since read books like "Fast Food Nation" and "Diet for a New America". These have only further shown me that I am on the right track and have made a choice that benefits my body AND the earth. After all - the earth is only ours to borrow for a short time - we should do everything we can to protect it for our future generations.
Skinny Bitch has given me the strength to start on my journey to health and fitness. If you are ready to open your mind and your eyes, it can do the same for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars good marketing but not a good read, June 21 2014
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I'm interested in fitness and health but this book doesn't promote a sensible way of eating, in my opinion, though the marketing for it is phenomenal, hats off to the promoters. Wish the book was as good as the hype.

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of my diet make-over..., Oct. 21 2013
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I've lost weight, become less 'puffy' and inflamed, have FAR more energy and I have Multiple Sclerosis (for 14 years), eating this way has completely gotten rid of my symptoms. This was the first book I read on the tone of high nutrient eating and it's an upbeat but sometimes hard to look at view of what's in our food these days and the reasons why it's not healthy. I continued to read books in this stream and now all I have to do is remember why cupcakes (an example) aren't good for my body and I manage to avoid such foods most of the time. I've found new favorite foods. If you're looking for an read about upping your protein and lowering your carbs, this isn't it. If you want to consider or have already decided to embark on a NUTRIENT DENSE eating path, I think this book should be on your reading list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Sept. 5 2013
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I love reading it...read it o the end

Love it!!!! I found it very hard to put it down, I still have a hard time finding another book like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful read, July 15 2013
The first 10 pages are good. The rest is to promote soy, and bash milk and protein. Don't waste your time or money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy Unless You are or Want to be Vegan, Sept. 10 2007
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I purchased this book after reading the back cover and the first few pages of the book at my local bookstore. It was funny, sarcastic, and written in a very conversational manner. It wasn't until the fourth or fifth chapter that the true basis behind the "skinny bitch" diet was revealed - in the opinion of the authors, the only way to lose weight and be healthy was to completely stop consuming any and all animal products including meat, fish, poultry, dairy and dairy/poultry products. The authors vividly describe what they believe to happen in slaughter houses and how animals are mistreated and consuming animal products is bad, bad, bad.

As with many diet plans, this one could very well work but you deserve to know prior to buying the book that it is all about living a vegan lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars No-Nonsense Indeed!, March 28 2008
Charlene Pyper "cucco_cojiro" (Alliston ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I love this book. Its witty, in your face attitude kept me hooked from beginning to end. The authors are not afraid to tell it like it is, plus they use sources to back up their info (unlike many other diet books). Sometimes they make you feel like an idiot: "Of course milk makes you fat! Milk turns a 90lb calf into a 450lb cow! Duh!" And the recommended food list is very helpful. Not only will you become skinny, you will be healthy as well! For more reading on how foods affect your health, get 'The China Study'. For more reading on the meat industry, get 'Slaughterhouse' or 'The Food Revolution'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, May 31 2012
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
Although I enjoyed the tone of the book and had a few chuckles. Allow me to sum up the book for you: Go vegan and eat organic. That is the only message that came through (that and some of the graphic images of animal cruelty that I can't seem to shake).

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be deceived by the title, Aug. 27 2007
Saya "Kaijin" (Anjou, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
This book has a silly name and is clearly more marketable towards women, but I honestly think that everyone should read this book. Even if you don't conform to their way of life (mainly vegetarian and organic) it's okay, as long as you are well informed of what you are putting into your mouth. You may start to think twice about it. It's easy to understand and funny most of the time which doesn't make it seem like you are reading a diet book. It's rather short but to the point, no beating around the bush, so you know what they recommend you eat. I've gradually give up meat and let me tell you when you have the options we have today, you don't really miss it. It's a very informative book that everyone should read. And yes, milk does produce mucus (which is why singers don't drink it). It's narrow-minded to completely write off this book, and if you doubt their facts, do some of your own research. Are you willing to sacrifice your health because you want to look the other way and refuse to acknowledge potential dangers you use to assume (or were told) were safe. I'm certainly not going to play games or take chances with my health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious yet informative!, Feb. 18 2006
H. Bellock "nutrition junkie" (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
I bought this book because it is frank, honest, and outright funny! It's a rare thing for me to be laughing OUT LOUD as I peruse the bookstore, but this book is a great read. Yes it has some harsh facts about cutting through the crap that is considered a "normal" diet. But in this day and age, we all know that normal is overweight and/or unhealthy- so frankly I am glad to break from conformity! I have to say the biggest point this book can stress is the whole NO DAIRY attitude. What most people (myself included) don't know that there are substitutes for milk, ice cream, etc that taste absolutly GREAT! (fake butter better than REAL butter!) And you will freak out at how much better you feel and look if you get that garbage out of your system, it is truly amazing! Your skinny jeans become your every day jeans, if that isn't reason enough to give it a go! Even if you just read this book for the comic relief, it is well worth your time and hopefully some of their ideas will "click" with you to make positive changes in your life and health. Happy reading!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Skinny Bitch
Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman (Paperback - Dec 27 2005)
CDN$ 14.95 CDN$ 10.79