5.0 out of 5 stars FAR more than what I expected!!!
Published on May 10 2004 by Holly Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Don't need quite so many photos of men naked.......!
Published 5 months ago by Maria Nickel

5.0 out of 5 stars FAR more than what I expected!!!, May 10 2004
First off you need to know this is a large book. It's huge. The picture does not at all convey how huge this book really is. It's about two times the size of a normal size book. I really don't think the description is adequate. I expected this to be a basic story book. It is far more than that. This is a very scientific book. It is a lot like the book "A Child is Born" only geared for kids. By this I don't mean watered down or talking down to kids. It is perfect. In fact I would venture to say you could actually use this as your primary educational tool when teaching your kids about sex for the first time. I originally got a book that was advertised as being the best book to read to your kids when telling them about sex. Actually I think this is 1000 times better b/c it has pictures, it tells it graphically but in cartoon style. It is FAR less traumatic for those parents who don't feel comfortable broaching this subject. I will be using this as my primary book from now on. I am fully impressed. It is really underrated if you ask me.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a wonderful book!, Aug. 16 2000
This book is perfect for children to read before entering puberty! Robie Harris explains male and female body parts (inside and out), what changes take place during puberty, how an sperm fertilizes an egg, what sex is, what love is, what happens during pregnancy (including how a baby grows and how one is born), different types of families (gay, straight, adoption, etc), good and bad touches, and even a bit about HIV and AIDS.
The author explains everything very honestly without being judgmental, although he leaves room for a parent to explain his or her own values to a child. For example, while explaining masturbation he writes, "Every family has its own thoughts and feelings about masturbation...Some people and religions think it's wrong to masturbate."
The book covers a lot of information, but presents it in a fun and simple way. The cartoon illustrations are complete without being terribly graphic, and the small bird and bee throughout the book serve as "tour guides". This book will definitely be on my bookshelf when my daughter starts asking questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Repeat Purchase, April 7 2003
Erin Flynn Jantz (Newport, RI USA) - See all my reviews
I originally ordered 4-5 books in this category and none of the others could compare. The comic relief offered by the two characters in the sidelines is absolutely wonderful. My 7 year old son could release any discomfort with the topics through laughter (often laughing harder than he would normally).
After loaning this book to friends who were all extremely happy with this book, I've decided I need another copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for 9 year olds and older, April 27 2004
By A Customer
This is a very comprehensive book about everything your child will need to now about childbirth and childbearing till about mid teens (including such issues as multiples, IVF). The reason I recommend this book for 9 year olds and older is because of the complexity(read confusion) of some of the egg-sperm pictures and even more important the book introduces the concept of intercourse. One of the pictures featured has a couple kissing under the blanket, the term sexual intercourse is introduced in the book.
It also has the introduction to the sexual maturity. Having a 6 and 3 year olds and expecting an addition now, I was looking for a simpler book to introduce/ answer questions about childbirth that would be appropriate for my older kid and did not find this book fitting the purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars we were all amazed, March 30 2002
Laurie Jones Neighbors "LJN" (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
Ah, what a relief it was for me to find this book to share with my two sons -- aged 8 and 10 at the time -- a book that is not only informative and engaging to young readers interested in sex and sexuality, but also one that actually "includes" all of the members of our family. I would very strongly recommend this book for alternative families -- the book gracefully included information about adoption and gay parenting without trying too hard (as some books do) or sticking it in as an afterthought (as many books do).
We read the book out loud as a family, all the way through, several times before it went upstairs to "live" with the boys' other books. Doing so allowed us to talk through the information, and really allowed me to see where my kids were in terms of information and understanding. Now, I see the book out every couple of months -- mostly being read by my older son, who will be 13 this summer.
It's So Amazing is an amazing book -- it manages to meet the entertainment AND informational needs of its young readers. I highly recommend it for your inquisitive kid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., Aug. 1 2001
By A Customer
This book is a great way to give kids sex education. It covers all subjects clearly and in an interesting fashion. However, I disagree with the age range it is recommended for. It is recommended for ages 8-10, and, while most of the material is appropriate for this age group, some is not. Children should receive sex education in stages. A child who takes the book and begins to read will learn about body changes and babies being born, but many in the age 8-10 age group are not ready to learn about intercourse. I know this because I have a 7 year old and a 10 year old. My 10 year old read the book "Growing Up, It's a Girl Thing" and was quite thrown by some of the information on periods and body changes. But all of that information was perfect for the stage she's at -- it was the information she needed, but nothing that would worry or overwhelm her. (It is the book I'd recommend for the first step in a girl's sex education.) My daughter is very well read, but not ready for "It's So Amazing." I will hold on to the book until she is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight talk with plenty of humor, June 28 2001
Aviva Gutin (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
The best part about this book is the organization; it's easy to skip around and address the speifics that your child has questions about. The beginning parts are a perfect introduction to "How babies are made," and acknowledges all the mixed feelings kids might have on the subject. It's a good book to leave around for your child to "find"; kids have an idea of what they're ready to deal with. (As a 13-year-old, I picked up my parents' copy of "The Joy of Sex" and quickly put it away because I wasn't ready for that!) I like "It's so Amazing" better than "It's Perfectly Normal" (acknowledging that you will need a more advanced book for your older children to "discover"); "Normal" is thorough about anything a preteen could possibly want to know; unfortunately, some of the pertinent info you have to discover by accident while reading other sections of the book. Also, "Normal" equates having a crush with "sexual attraction" - I'm not comfortable with that assumption. Note: "Amazing" is not a sufficient resource for your reaching-puberty boy or girl; you should have a boy-or-girl-specific book for that 9-12 age. I'll be on the lookout for a knockout book for graduates of "It's So Amazing!" Maybe we need a really advanced teenage book that tells it all about contraception, bodies, and sexual risks in a way a 9th grader can relate to - after that it may be too late!

5.0 out of 5 stars As a Stepmother with a 9 year old and 12 year old....., June 5 2001
By A Customer
A few months ago, my husband asked if I would have a talk with our two girls about growing up and the birds and bees. As their stepmother (for almost seven years), we are very close, but I was a little nervous about approaching this subject. To my relief, a coworker mentioned the "It's so Amazing" book and then felt compelled to lend me her copy for a few weeks so I could read it with my 9 year old. She'd highly recommended it after using it with her two pre-teenager sons.
Being able to share the experience of reading and talking about this subject together with Maddie (our 9 year old) was actually...a nice experience and now one of my favorite memories. We had quality time together and opened a whole new level of communication based on trust and open communication. I have to admit, I'd made some assumptions about what she may have learned from friends and school, but she knew less than I thought, and I think the timing was great because she was very curious and starting to ask questions like "where do babies really come from?", and "what are (tampons) used for"?
I used the book as a tool for our conversations, following Maddie's interests and curiosities. We read some chapters together, and skipped some others (for now), going at her pace. In our first sitting, she wanted to keep going for almost an hour!
I finally returned the book to my coworker, so am getting around to purchasing our own copy since I know Maddie and her sister will enjoy having it through their pre teen (and teen) years (I know I will).

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect companion to their first book, Feb. 1 2000
W.D. Peckenpaugh (Silverton, OR USA) - See all my reviews
Harris and Emberley have done it again! "It's So Amazing!" is a much-needed follow up to their prior book, "It's Perfectly Normal."
The text is clear, while maybe a little advanced for the younger solo reader -- this would be a good one for parents and kids to read together at first. Numerous captions and illustrations help children understand the material more fully, and are entertaining, to boot.
The bird and bee characters are back, too, speaking many of the feelings, doubts, and questions real kids may have when mulling over the information. They provide some comic relief, but their function as a sounding board is more important than many people realize. This can be confusing (and hard to believe) stuff.
There is much more in-depth material on the actual mechanics of reproduction and birth than in "Normal," but it is nicely balanced by the sections on how families are formed, how families relate to and love each other, and what makes each person unique.
This would make a perfect teaching tool for a kid who has a basic understanding of anatomy and physiology, but is ready for some behind-the-scenes details as to how babies are created, and how they grow into children who then grow into adults -- and start the whole process over!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's So Amazing, Feb. 29 2000
den "macguyver" (In the woods of the Bay Area) - See all my reviews
Since our nine year old son is the result of donor insemination within a two mom family, he is pretty well informed on how a baby is biologically created. All those questions and more were answered in a humorous way in this book. A child can take this book and read a page or a chapter at a time by himself or with his family. It allows him to feel comfortable with the whole factual human sexual process through humor and easy to understand child-text. I would recommend this book to any family that wants their children to understand all types of relationships, families and the unique process of conception and birth.

It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families