5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Everyone Living In the Internet Age
Though this is touted as "Teen" fiction, it is anything but.
It will open your eyes to where we are today, and more importantly, where we are going.
Published 2 months ago by Cole

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't get into it...
I read half the book and then just closed it. I can't get into it. It's slow and the language is too teenage-like and futuristic for my liking. I know a lot of people love this novel and I know a teacher who's using it with his Sec. 5 students and who loves it but I'm afraid it's just not for me.
Published 13 months ago by Carolyn SADL

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Everyone Living In the Internet Age, May 21 2014
This review is from: Feed (Paperback)
Though this is touted as "Teen" fiction, it is anything but.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. more current now than ever, March 19 2014
Humanjava Enterprises (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feed (Kindle Edition)
If someone said this was written last week, I'd believe them. So current and so true to the social media world of the western youth of today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not An Adventure/Conspiracy Science Fiction, July 22 2013
This review is from: Feed (Paperback)
Not what I was expecting when it was recommended to me. The style is unique and the main characters are children, the prose are written from the POV of one of children. It is a scarey but logical future to advertising, globalization and consuming of Earth's resources(more then we put back). Their are a lot of other estimations of future technology and society that the author does not explore in the book and I think it is better to for it. It is not a collection of science fiction. The book knows its purpose and it isn't bogged down by irrelevant details.

But it is not an adventure story or conspiracy with a mission set near the beginning and some resolution at the end. The themes are obvious, but at front of the story the children are consumed by little actions, here and there, for your surface plot

The ending is great and it was satisfying to me. But won't be to people who look for a clearly defined goal and its optimistic, happy resolution and the end.

The book looks big, but I read it in 5 hours and I know faster readers who can do it in less.

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't get into it..., June 1 2013
This review is from: Feed (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars All-too-accurate future distopia, July 11 2004
This review is from: Feed (Hardcover)
Titus and his friends are bored on their spring break, so they decide to take a trip to the moon. Through their feed, which is basically a hyped-up Schwarzenegger version of the internet that is lodged in their nervous system, they hear about a cool club. They go to the club and meet people with the best clothes, the best hair, and the dj's playing the best songs, all thanks to the feed, which unfailingly supplies all the latest trends and can even make recommendations for Titus based on his past purchases (much like amazon!).
But at the club, something goes very wrong. A hacker working for the Coalition of Pity scams his way into Titus' and his friend's feed, knocking them unconscious. They have to be hospitalized and patched up, and off of the feed for days. Titus recovers, but his girlfriend Violet's feed has been so damaged, it could be fatal.
M.T. Anderson has written a gripping tale of what life in the not-too-distant future could be like, if America and the west doesn't curb it's appetite for more and more. He writes what it could become like for a young person like Titus to grow up without actually thinking and feeling, but being "fed" by corporations everything he *thinks* he needs. This is one of the smartest and most important books I've read this year. If you ever worry about the repurcussions of consumer society, you should check out this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fed, but not Feeding, March 29 2012
Anastasia Prozorova "Prokrida" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feed (Paperback)
This book is, in a way, an echo of Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451". But while Bradbury talks about an older type of technology (books), Anderson refers to the modern one (Internet). It's interesting though that Bradbury focused on the issue of banning the citizens from using the technology (as reading books was outlawed in his dystopian novel) while Anderson decided to explore the overuse of technology (as Internet became a nutrient for the human's body in his book).

I still feel that Ray Bradbury's critique sounds more compelling and convincing than Anderson's because Bradbury masterfully portrayed both sides of the story: people using the technology and people banning its use. Contrary, Anderson only talks about those "fed" by the technology and completely skips on the portrayal of those who are "feeding"...

In any case, "Feed" is worth a read as it brings the gender into picture. Anderson captures the reader with his depiction of the world where teeth and shoulder extensions become a fashionable "cosmetic" procedure; the world in which scars and incisions so deep that 'you can see her like muscles and tendons and ligaments and stuff' (p.199) become "hot" and "desirable" on a woman's body; the world in which the words of American anthropologist, Helen Fisher, would sound particularly disturbing as she says "I don't think honestly that we are an animal built to be happy. We are an animal built to reproduce"...

3.0 out of 5 stars not crazy about the book, July 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Feed (Hardcover)
eh. it was alright... however the problem with this book is that the main character doesn't begin to feel real or show emotions untill the last few pages of the book. when its tough to care for a character or at least find somehting to identify with its tough to enjoy a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the Book!!!, July 4 2004
"cccwd" (Los Angeles, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feed (Hardcover)
I have read many books over my 17 years of life and I would have to say that Feed by M.T. Anderson is one that I would recommend to everyone.
I do not write reviews, so to write this on my own accord should show how powerful this book really is. I was literally blow away by it. This is the first time I have read a book by M.T. Anderson and was delightfully surprised by the emotions this book can cause.
It takes place in the future, how far away I am not sure, but still it brings to life teenage society to a very fine point. It is has first person narrative that was weird at first but one gets used to it fast.
At the end of the book there is a reader's guide and a conversation with the author which I found very helpful to understand where the auther is coming from and the weight that this book has to our every day life.
I will from now on look at advertising in a new light and beware of what it is truely trying to do.
I found it meg cool and ironically funny so...read it and understand why!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, July 2 2004
Colin Doody (Lynnfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feed (Paperback)
This was a very interesting book. When I first opened it up I was upset with the asinine colloquial that was presented to me. I thought the author was just poor or lazy, with his grammatical mishaps strewn about the pages. Then, as I got used to it, I came to believe that most of it was intentional, perhaps even reflecting the type of diction that WOULD be used in a book published in that time period due to the degeneration of language. Somewhat like the degeneration presented in George Orwell's 1984. Again, it is a very grim vision of our future. In some ways, despite the fantasy that seems to surround its surrealism, I cant help but feel it was somewhat realistic, and I wont deny thinking about it as I pass billboards pearched on hilltops and banner ads that float across my monitor, urging me to buy some new item and telling me what i need.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was amazing, June 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Feed (Hardcover)
I absolutely loved this book. In the beginning, I thought it to be a bit boring, but as I read through it, it became better and better. All the issues it dealt with are issues I really care about. This is a great book, and I definitely reccommend it.

Feed
Feed by M.T. Anderson (Paperback - Feb. 23 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01