Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage summerbaby Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from the Titanic
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$25.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 5, 2012
Not ANOTHER Titanic novel! That's right. NOT another Titanic novel.

I confess I was loath to read the book when I saw it was in Verse. I'm not a lover of Titanic fiction. Too many Jack & Rose clones or "Harlequin" style romances about. {Mind you, I like Harlequins. They are either well written or so improbable they're funny. Titanic : The Long Night is one of the former. A good female teen - young adult romance. I won't mention any of the latter.). But its subtitle said "Voices from the Titanic" and the library had rush-catalogued it for the anniversary, so I owed the staff the courtesy of riffling through it.

I was hooked. This book is choke-back tears good. The voices come from twenty-four (or so) personalities - from Thomas Andrews (the designer), Bruce Ismay (the businessman), Harold Lowe (5th officer), through representatives of the three classes (Yes, Margaret Brown is one - in 1st; Mr. Navratil and Lolo in 2nd and a number of young tearaways and sweet girls in third), the crew (deck, below deck and catering), the wireless operators on Titanic and Carpathia, to the undertaker on the Mackay-Bennett. Even the ship's rat and the iceberg have their says. All were living their own small dramas or mundane workdays from the time they embark until the Practically Indestructible embraced the Practically Unsinkable, and then beyond it to the rescue and New York or ...

This is also the most well-researched Titanic novel I've read. For that alone, it's worth reading and its place on the shelf long after the anniversary ends. (Bibliography of several modern-day non-fiction books, websites, etc. included.) The poetry is spot on for each character, and each character gets a page or two here and there throughout, so there are no large chunks of dialogue. In fact, I wanted the scenes with 9 year old Frankie Goldsmith and his new shipboard 'mates' to be much longer.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again