5.0 out of 5 stars Because of Winn-Dixie
The story was very touching, about a bond between girl and a dog.There are many strange characters such as Gloria Dump,Otis and Miss.Franny.The story may not be long but,all the same you will surely want to read it again.
Published on Nov. 5 2011 by KayKat

1.0 out of 5 stars WHY???
Published on Aug. 25 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Because of Winn-Dixie, Nov. 5 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Winn-Dixie, Oct. 27 2013
I read this book in less than 30 mins because it was very interesting and I didn't want to put it down!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars WHY???, Aug. 25 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Hardcover)
Because of Winn Dixie was required summer reading for my son going into Fourth grade. I was curious about the book so I also read it. WHY??? I don't know why of all the wonderful books out there this one was chosen. The story is centered around a little girl who is having trouble understanding why her mother left her. She moves to a new town and it talks of the people she meets. A girl who's brother drowned recently, a prisoner, etc. I found the whole thing rather depressing. And the way it is written runs on and on like my four year old daughter who talks just to hear herself talk. The only thing that actually happened in the book was the dog disappered... but was quickly found. It very much lacked any action or excitement. Also a note to parents there are a couple of curse words in the story... which seemed unnecessary.

1.0 out of 5 stars WHY???, Aug. 25 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Hardcover)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet..., Oct. 26 2006
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Paperback)
My friend bought this book form the last book order, and I borrowed it awhile ago. It teaches that no matter how old you are, you can still be friends, no matter what you are. Short, but sweet.

4.0 out of 5 stars A ok, July 19 2004
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Paperback)
I recommend this book to anyone 13 or older because it's a really good book about friendship. For example, when the pet employ asked her if Winn-Dixie was her pet, Opal said, "He's not a pet he's my best friend." Also I recommend it to any one who loves dogs because Winn-Dixie is in many parts of the story. For example, when Winn-Dixie is in the store making a mess, the manager said that he was going to call the pound. Opal said to the manger," Wait that's my dog. Don't call the pound." She said to protect the dog from going to the pound. In conclusion, if you like a book about friendship and animals, this is the book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and uplifting!, July 1 2004
Martha Martin "MsMagnolia" (Prairieville, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Paperback)
I first heard of "Because of Winn-Dixie" several years ago, when Kate DiCamillo was interviewed on NPR soon after its release. Having lived in FL for many years and being well aware of the Winn-Dixie supermarkets, I suppose the idea of the story and its name intrigued me. I purchased the book some time ago, but as with many other book collectors, I set it aside and didn't get around to reading it till just recently. Although it's written for children, I must say it has appeal for all ages! I was deeply moved by the sweet story, and especially Opal, who someone else expressed my thoughts exactly when they likened her to Scout, from "To Kill a Mockingbird"(my all-time favorite story). She obviously is wise far beyond her years in the way she brings together the diverse personalities and ages of the people she meets in her new home, a small FL town called Naomi. Opal unconditionally loves her funny, quirky mongrel of a dog, and we certainly can't help but love him as well! We should all be so lucky as to someday meet such a gentle spirit as Opal and her Winn-Dixie. My highest recommendations for this touching and very uplifting little gem!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Almost Shed A Tear, June 29 2004
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Paperback)
Opal has just relocated, with her father, Preacher, to Florida. One day, while in the local Winn-Dixie, she finds a big, ugly dog. She names the dog Winn-Dixie. When she gets home, her father is disappointed, but reluctantly agrees to let Opal keep the unusual dog. Winn-Dixie helps Opal make new friends in Florida, and it's Because of Winn-Dixie that she finds happiness in her new town.

3.0 out of 5 stars WInn-DIxie!!, May 18 2004
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Paperback)
winn-dixie was ok. its not my favorite book, but I liked it. opal finds a dog at a grocery store So she takes it home and fixed him up.When winn-dixie get loose on a walk he goes to Gloia's yard and two boys say she is a witch, but Opal does not believe that she is a witch. Winn-Dixie is was a good book!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Because of Winn-Dixie Review, May 18 2004
I gave this book 3 stars for the exciting moments and the
adventures.And I really liked the begining and the ending.
At the begining I liked it when Opal got to keep Winn-Dixie.
And at the end with the drama about Winn-Dixie and Opals
mom.

ARRAY(0xb73a2804)

Because of Winn-Dixie
Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo (Paperback - Feb. 10 2009)
CDN$ 8.00 CDN$ 7.60