Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on September 1, 2001
The Calling of Emily Evans is a tender and touching story. Young Emily gets her calling to become a pastor while in Bible School. While her father doesn't want her to go off by herself to minister to a new community, Emily's mind is made up. This is her calling and it is what she's going to do.
Emily does not have an easy time trying to build her congregation. She is met by challenges but faces them head on. She never gives up. She is very determined to make her church successful and doesn't want anyone to know when time are hard for her.
The Calling is a wonderful story. Ms. Oke writes about characters the reader finds themselves caring about. From Emily to Big John the characters are wonderfully written. The plot is good and the development of the characters is excellent. This book is great! It is a tender,touching story that will warm your heart. Definitely worth reading and recommending to someone! Read today!!
on January 27, 1999
I thouroly enjoyed reading this book! When I first read the description I thought that maybe she was stepping out of the lines of the Bible. I thought I would read it and see what hapend. It turned out that she was right on. In this book Emily Evans feels that God is calling her to start a church for Him. So she finds herself in a strange city, trying to set a church up in an old billard hall! She faces many hardships thourgh the two years written about. Thourgh the book though Emily made it clear that she was just wanting to start the church, and that when she married she would turn the preaching over to her husband! This was a great piece of Christian fiction, and I am glad that she showed what it is like serving the Lord!
on June 9, 2000
This book is about a woman who is called by God to set up a church. She has many problems along the way, including poor attendance, a low food supply, and a difficulty convincing people that God is indeed real and needed in every single life. She does NOT step out of the boundaries of the Bible. Emily simply sets up a church and teaches because there is no preacher in the area. She doesn't preach, only tries to help people see the importance of a faith in God and tries to help them understand the Bible and how important it is. This is a wonderful book that helped me understand things more clearly and get things sorted out in my own faith. I thank Janette Oke for writing such a great book.
on December 5, 2002
This account of a young woman following God's voice to the mission field in an era where women were only supposed to marry the first boy or man that came along and raise a family is truly inspirational. Not that I have anything against raising families. This book inspired me to believe through writing only as Jeanette Oke can, that I too, even with a family of my own can be used by God. What a wonderful adventure in someone elses shoes as well! I highly reccomend this book!
on March 29, 2001
This is my favorite Janette Oke book! I read this entire book in one Saturday afternoon. I think it is a wonderful story of courage, determination to follow God's will, and unselfishness. Although I disagree with the book's philosphy that women are only pastors because men don't answer their calling, I think it is an inspiration to all women to follow God's calling and leading in their life- no matter what it brings.
on February 19, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was very easy to ready and Janette Oke brought her characters to life showing many different types of people that one would encounter if put into her position. This is the first time in ages since I've read one of her books and she is still as good as I remember her as a young adult. She writes in such away that I just want to keep reading her books.
on April 26, 2001
THIS BOOK I COULD NOT PUT DOWN! Emily Evans went to Bible School and answerd the her God given calling. By starting a parish in a small town without very many parishioners she had a hard time even finding food to eat. I think if you read this book you will love it as much as I did. One tip dont read the last 2 pages before you get to that point.
on June 4, 2013
Just loved this character. Emily is just wonderful in this story. We don't want the story to end. It prouves that a woman has her place and that she can make the right choices given time.

I recommend this book ! A must have !
on February 13, 2000
I thought this book was great. What i liked about it the most was how Emily was so determined to do what she wanted to, no matter who did or did not support her.
on September 26, 2014