5.0 out of 5 stars Writing totally draws you in...
I picked this book up in a grocery store check-out, and I couldn't put it down. I grew up near Amish, so a lot of the things in the book were familiar to me. WARNING: these books are addictive. This is the first of a 3 part series, so you have to keep buying to find out how the story ends. Then, you move on to the next series...
Published on May 17 2004 by x

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Ending
When I pick up a book like this, I am looking for good "light" reading to give me a bit of escape and hopefully learn a little. However, I repeatedly find that trilogies of this nature use a "hook" at the end of the story to get you to read the next book. In my opinion, a book (even the first book of a trilogy) should come to some sort of closure...
Published on Oct. 15 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing totally draws you in..., May 17 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Good series!, July 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
I really like the Lancaster County series. It's such a unique story since it has the Amish setting. I read this book several years ago with the intent to finish the series but didn't get around to it. I just recently read the second book, and now I am anxious to get my hands on the third! It is a charming story and definitely worth anyone's time, especialyl if they are looking for a different story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, Jan. 1 2004
"shoni_" (San Diego, Ca.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
This book was so good that I couldn't put it down! Beverly Lewis has an amazing writing style and I definately endorse this book! The story is about a young girl coming of age in a small Amish community! It details her struggles to find where in the world she truly belongs. It also highlights her choice between the plain Amish lifestyle that she is accustomed to and the rich elegant lifestyle that she so longs for!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shunning by Beverly Lewis, May 28 2003
Hi Everyone,
I read this book, and I thouroughly enjoyed it! It was soooo good! I felt like I was in another worled when I was reading this story, as if, I was Katie! If I did not feel like Katie; I felt like I was watching her life and how she felt. It was a wonderful read, and I really recommend it! I also enjoyed reading about the Amish Community!
Kristy

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it! I found myself reading it every moment I could., March 25 2003
This review is from: The Shunning #1 (Paperback)
I WOULD RECOMMEND IT !!!. I found it very interesting. The author really brought the characters to life. I enjoyed it so much, I went out and purchased, The Confession and The Reckoning. Which I also enjoyed. I also loved it , becuase it gives you a little insight of the Amish community.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Control Religions, Dec 19 2002
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
I highly recommend the book to everyone who has a desire to understand the mentality of religions that have complete Control over its adherents, sometimes people call these cults. But the control of the followers is the sole desire of is male leaders. Submission to things they the followers find bring great unhappiness, hardship and pain.
I used to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and disfellowshipping is a form of shunning used by them also within the confines of their world wide assocation. The book by Beverly Lewis hits very well on the life within a high control religious group just like Jehovah's Witnesses. The lack of freedom of women, and the domination of men over women within this religious community. The suffering of young people who have a desire for a more normal life. And the near impossible survival of a young person wanting to leave and having no outside help to shelter them when they are shunned for the smallest offence of the Church's dictates. A church dominated by men who thrive on control of the religious order. These secretive religious groups isolate their followers from the general public. Seeing the outside world as evil controled. The Amish call them the English, the Jehovah's Witnesses refer to them as unbeliever's or worldly people.
It is an excellent book. Must reading for anyone who wants to understand what life is like in a "High Control Religious" group, the hardships, the difficulty getting free of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldnt put it down!, Dec 2 2002
"mandylee8" (NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
This book is a wonderful story of an Amish girl who discovers a secret about her past and who she is which turns her life upside down! I completely fell in love with the characters. I was so touched by Katie's situation. I laughed and cried through the whole book! The ending was quite shocking as well! I can't wait to read book #2!

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting premise, Oct. 28 2002
J. Peterson "jenpeterson" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
What if who you thought you were your entire life wasn't who you really were?
That is the question that Katie Lapp faces when she discovers a fancy baby dress in the attic of her parents' house. Katie has been raised Plain, with all of its rules. She faces a life altering decision with this discovery.
THis book takes the reader through the first few weeks of Katie's discovery and then directly leads into the next book of the series. Believe me--I had tears rolling down my face by the end of the book.
I heartily recommend this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars This heroine is stupid and selfish, Oct. 15 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
The heroine of this book is the most selfish, unsympathetic character I've read in a long time. She has this unabelievably stupid belief that when she learns something unexpected about her past, she's entitled to renege on every promise or vow she's made up until then. Her selfishness causes great pain to people around her, and she thinks she's entirely justified!
I thought this book was just awful, and I honestly can't see why anybody else recommends it. The writing is amateurish at best and the storyline is silly. Ugh! Spend your money elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this Book, Nov. 9 2001
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
THis was an awsome book about Katie Lapp, a amish girl whose world comes crubbling down around her. THis was my favorite book of the series. I can't wait to read some more of Ms Lewis's books, now that I've finished the Lanchester series.

ARRAY(0xadf2e408)

Shunning, The
Shunning, The by Beverly Lewis (Paperback - Feb. 1 2008)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.40