5.0 out of 5 stars High Control Religions
I highly recommend the book to everyone who has a desire to understand the mentality of religions that have complete Control over its adherents, sometimes people call these cults. But the control of the followers is the sole desire of is male leaders. Submission to things they the followers find bring great unhappiness, hardship and pain.
I used to be one of...
Published on Dec 19 2002 by Passionforlife

2.0 out of 5 stars These are not the Amish I know
Published on Aug. 9 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars High Control Religions, Dec 19 2002
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
I used to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and disfellowshipping is a form of shunning used by them also within the confines of their world wide assocation. The book by Beverly Lewis hits very well on the life within a high control religious group just like Jehovah's Witnesses. The lack of freedom of women, and the domination of men over women within this religious community. The suffering of young people who have a desire for a more normal life. And the near impossible survival of a young person wanting to leave and having no outside help to shelter them when they are shunned for the smallest offence of the Church's dictates. A church dominated by men who thrive on control of the religious order. These secretive religious groups isolate their followers from the general public. Seeing the outside world as evil controled. The Amish call them the English, the Jehovah's Witnesses refer to them as unbeliever's or worldly people.
It is an excellent book. Must reading for anyone who wants to understand what life is like in a "High Control Religious" group, the hardships, the difficulty getting free of it.

2.0 out of 5 stars These are not the Amish I know, Aug. 9 1999
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
I hesitate to make negative comments about this and the other books in this series since they have been rated so highly by others. However, I feel obligated to my many Amish friends to set the record straight. I read the Shunning, The Confession and The Reckoning, and was very much disturbed by the way the Amish were treated. In some ways it is evident that the author did a great deal of book research because she has many facts quite right; such as the given and family names of the characters. In other ways it would appear that she has had very little actual contact with real Amish people. My suspicion is that the Amish friends she claims to have are actually X Amish who have a lot of criticism and bitterness toward their people. Lewis judges the Amish by modern Evangelical standards and makes them look like heathens with bones through their noses in need of the Gospel. The Amish do have a different understanding of salvation than do Evangelicals and Fundamentalists, but to say they are not Christian is carrying it too far. Lewis would no doubt also have serious disagreements on theological matters with Catholics, most Lutherans and Pentecostals. There are many factual errors in the Shunning and the other two books in the series. The greatest error in The Shunning is the portrayal of the Amish not being allowed to talk to those who are excommunicated. My Amish friends tell me that they are expected to talk to those in the ban in order to win them back to the church. Lewis somewhat corrects this in the other books to make it look like the silent treatment was the individual pronoucement of one particular bishop. Lewis does not mention the Biblical basis for shunning which she apparently does not understand. Really, I think Katie, the main character, would have been shunned by atheists for the trick she pulled at her wedding! Some other errors include the forbiddance to sing any songs other than those in the Amish hymnal. It is true that the Amish only sing the traditional, ancient hymns at their church services, but on other occasions I have heard the Amish sing many kinds of songs, and "Jesus Loves Me" would not at all be out of order. Also the impression is given that one has to be born Amish in order to be a member of the Amish church. I know of a number of people who have joined the Amish were not raised in the church. It is difficult for an "outsider" to join the Amish, because a lot of commitment is required, but quite possible. I could mention many other things in the books that are not true to Amish life, but I don't want this to get too long. The books are well written and hold the reader's attention, but they are more for entertainment than enlightenment. If you want to know what the Amish are really like, these books are not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first book by Bev Lewis...but definitely not my last!, Jan. 22 1998
Bonnie McKinzie (Garden Grove, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
I am an avid reader and lover of Amish history. These 2 passions drew me to a display containing "The Shunning" when we were traveling and stopped to eat at a little restaurant-gift shop. I just had to get up from my meal and take a look at the book. I was so interested I had to read it. The characters were exciting people, individual in spite of being identical! Katie especially intrigued me! She was so fiesty, so different, opinionated, yet family oriented. How could she expect to be happy at any one place when the whole world called to her? I felt empathy for Katie's Amish parents because having a daughter like her surely was a test in their community! Yet, I felt Katie's pain...her uncertainty...her desires...what part in her longterm future would Mary play? How could Katie endure without Dan, her soul mate? How could she marry a man she did not love? Why must she be forced to live without the beautiful, soothing music she adored? Was it sin, or simply protocol? It was easy to keep switching my loyalty from one group to the other...they all had some good ideas. I thought I understood Katie and her inquisitive nature, yet I wanted to scold her for being ungrateful and even spiteful to her parents at times. I seemed to have love-hate for one person, then another! I think this author, Bev Lewis, surely must have an interesting life....how else could she think of so many wonderfully surprising events? For a book that led one to think it was going to be about a fairly dull family, living in a fairly dull town, with fairly dull ideals, there certainly was a trememdous amount of excitement nontheless! People DID have feelings, they DID experience emotions, and Katie Lapp was determined to live them in addition to just feeling them! There are issues here that are presented so well, love and marriage, family life, faith, obedience to parents, loyalty, adoption, trust, life and death, grief and mourning, traditions, ways of life...and all of these are wrapped around one tiny, pink satin baby gown! When I saw I was on the last page, I was stricken....NO, THIS CANNOT BE ENDING...there is so much I do not know yet! What will happen to..what if...when will...why didn't....maybe they...if only.... I did not rest a moment until book number 2 was in my hands! I so fully appreciate the author's portrayal of the love of God, His plan of salvation and especially the individuality of each person in spite of their surroundings! Thanks, Bev!

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing totally draws you in..., May 17 2004
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
I picked this book up in a grocery store check-out, and I couldn't put it down. I grew up near Amish, so a lot of the things in the book were familiar to me. WARNING: these books are addictive. This is the first of a 3 part series, so you have to keep buying to find out how the story ends. Then, you move on to the next series...

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Ending, Oct. 14 1999
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
When I pick up a book like this, I am looking for good "light" reading to give me a bit of escape and hopefully learn a little. However, I repeatedly find that trilogies of this nature use a "hook" at the end of the story to get you to read the next book. In my opinion, a book (even the first book of a trilogy) should come to some sort of closure at the end. The reader should be drawn to read the next book soley because he/she has become attached to the people and places in the book and wants to find out more about them, NOT because of some gimmick the author created to keep people guessing. But this book leaves the reader hanging. I simply did not want to read through two more books to find out how this story ended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping saga of the Amish struggle to "do what's right", April 15 1997
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
I simply couldn't put this book down! Almost every girl, on the verge of adulthood, looks back over all she's been taught and attempts to decide which values are truly hers and which ones she never really accepted as her own. Katie grows up, always feeling like she must be "wrong" for wanting fancy things and never really feeling Amish. Then she finds the reason for her distress and a whole new world of possibilities are now open to her. I learned so much about Amish life from the story. I felt like I was living in the Lapp household. I smiled, I gasped, and yes, I cried for Katie. Beverly Lewis did an awesome job - can't wait for "The Confession"

5.0 out of 5 stars Amish girl finds out she was "adopted" by Englishers, Aug. 1 1999
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
This book is about an Amish girl who finds out she is adopted. She has had trouble committing herself to all the Amish rules all her life. When she finds this out, she searches for her real "English" mother.
The book is fast-paced, very interesting. After reading I had to get the next 2 books. "The Confession" and "The Reckoning".
I have visited many Amish settlements throughout Illinois, Pennsylvania and Indiana. Somehow I find them so interesting and peaceful.
This book makes you rethink your life and future.

1.0 out of 5 stars This heroine is stupid and selfish, Oct. 15 2002
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
The heroine of this book is the most selfish, unsympathetic character I've read in a long time. She has this unabelievably stupid belief that when she learns something unexpected about her past, she's entitled to renege on every promise or vow she's made up until then. Her selfishness causes great pain to people around her, and she thinks she's entirely justified!
I thought this book was just awful, and I honestly can't see why anybody else recommends it. The writing is amateurish at best and the storyline is silly. Ugh! Spend your money elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting premise, Oct. 28 2002
J. Peterson "jenpeterson" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
What if who you thought you were your entire life wasn't who you really were?
That is the question that Katie Lapp faces when she discovers a fancy baby dress in the attic of her parents' house. Katie has been raised Plain, with all of its rules. She faces a life altering decision with this discovery.
THis book takes the reader through the first few weeks of Katie's discovery and then directly leads into the next book of the series. Believe me--I had tears rolling down my face by the end of the book.
I heartily recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Romance novel about Amish Culture, Sept. 18 1997
This review is from: The Shunning (Paperback)
I really thought this was an excalent book that to see into the lives and homes of the Amish people and their Culture. If are intrested in learning differnt cultures in a fiction setting this is one the best. I think My favorite parts were at here baptism, the preperation for the wedding, and the ending where Katies sister-in-law get a letter from her "dead" brother and says that he wants to come home for a visit. My droped open 10ft I couldn't belive it.

I can't wait for the Confession to come out.
Beverly Lewis is a exaclent author.

Shunning, The
Shunning, The by Beverly Lewis (Paperback - Feb. 1 2008)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.40