5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Work from Oke and Bunn AGAIN!
I have long been a fan of both of these authors and have read a number of their previous collaborations and was very excited when the opportunity came up to review this newest release from this dynamic duo! I was not disappointed.

Published on Jan. 30 2010 by Shirley Rempel

3.0 out of 5 stars typical Christian fiction
I enjoyed The Hidden Flame. I think Abigail is my favourite character in the series thus far. I also found the setting fascinating. I will say this is a very typical Christian fiction book... the 'good guys' always just seem a little TOO good to be true. But I did find the story engaging so would certainly recommend it to the Christian fiction lovers out there.
Published on Feb. 13 2010 by Tara Robertson

4.0 out of 5 stars A fictionalized look at the early church, Feb. 17 2010
Christina Banks "Stina Rose" (Deep River, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hidden Flame, The (Paperback)
Abigail and her brother Jacob are left with the group of believers in Jerusalem when their guardians have to flee for their lives. There is growing unrest in the city. Religious leaders want to get rid of the followers of The Way. The Romans wish to quench the attacks of the Zealots, and the church continues to preach the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Even with the power of the Holy Spirit moving and alive within them, Abigail finds herself an object of desire for two men. Both are unacceptable. Neither have trusted in the Risen Lord. Can she trust God with her future? Each day brings the early Church closer to persecution. Will they be ready? Who will throw the first stone?

The Hidden Flame is the second book in the Acts of Faith series. I have not had the opportunity to read the first book in this series The Centurion's Wife. I think it would be helpful to have read that novel before reading The Hidden Flame.

I found the story a little hard to follow at first, but attributed that to having missed the first book in the series. It was interesting to see how Bunn and Oke brought to life some very well known Biblical stories. I enjoyed meeting Peter, Stephen, Ananias and Sapphira as well as Saul of Tarsus. I think that the authors did a great job showing us the Jewish customs of courtship and marriage as well as the struggle that the early church went through in Jerusalem.

I would recommend this book to lovers of Biblical fiction.

(I received a copy of this book for the purpose of review.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Work from Oke and Bunn AGAIN!, Jan. 30 2010
Shirley Rempel (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hidden Flame, The (Paperback)

This book was a very easy and quick read, and I love that the authors stuck true to historical authenticity. I thought that the way the book was written bought Bible Characters such as Peter, Martha, Stephen and many more to life in a way I would have never expected.

This book was a wonderful way for the reader to have a glimpse of what those from the Early Church would have experienced. From beautifully described wedding celebrations to persecution of faith, this book covers a wide range of plots and emotions, but in a very easy to understand way. This is particularly beneficial to readers with little to no understanding of the history of the Early Church.

Though I have not read the first book in the Acts of the Faith series, The Centurion, I am very willing to, because of my experience of reading The Hidden Flame.

If you have loved previous writings of Davis Bunn and Janette Oke, you will love this book! I highly recommend it and give it a huge thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and Historically Accurate, Jan. 24 2010
Amazon Customer "@ Quiverfullfamily.com" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: HIDDEN FLAME, THE (HC) (Hardcover)
The Hidden Flame is the second installment in Davis Bunn and Janette Oke's co-written New Testament times historical fiction series Acts of Faith. In the first book, The Centurion's Wife, we were brought into the mystery and contention surrounding Christ's death and resurrection as the Roman centurion (the fictionalized Alban) who believed in Jesus for the healing of his servant wed Leah (Pontius Pilate's fictionalized adopted niece).

The Hidden Flame picks up the New Testament seamlessly, and we re-enter the story at the wedding feast of Alban and Leah. Being driven from Jerusalem by the retaliatory intentions of King Herod against Alban, the newly wed pair flees the city and is relegated to the cast of supporting characters.

The focus of this second installment in the series switches to a sweet young believer named Abigail, the sister of Jacob, Alban's young charge. Imbued with a sweet, generous, and giving spirit, Abigail's story leads us through the opening scenes of the explosion of growth the Church experienced following the giving of the Holy Spirit, and the beginning of persecution against those who preached the resurrected Messiah.

In the midst of growing turmoil amongst the ruling powers in Jerusalem, Abigail is vigorously pursued by two men ' both deeply unappealing due to their lack of belief. Ezra is a rich and influential Judean merchant, and Linux, a friend of Alban's and serving Roman soldier. This storyline may seem to thrust The Hidden Flame firmly into the realm of historical romance, but it doesn't.

I deeply appreciate Bunn and Oke's conservative and historically authentic portrayal of Jewish courtship and wedding customs throughout the series. Abigail is never approached directly by her suitors, and is appropriate guarded and sheltered by the men in her life who are in a position to speak on her behalf.

I found The Centurion's Wife somewhat slow-moving, but that isn't the case with The Hidden Flame. I've grown to deeply appreciate the lack of sensationalistic writing in The Acts of Faith series, making it one of my favorites. I've definitely added the series to my list of 'must-reads' as additional titles release. The authors are careful to depict Christ-like behavior in the lives of those with transformed hearts and diligently hold true to the historical facts of scripture while adding authentic cultural detail.

The only grumbling I can bring up about this title is the authors' tendencies to have important conversations taking place behind the scenes ,where we as readers are unable to see it taking place. Many times important revelations are not disclosed or told on the page; we only discover that the characters have learned certain important pieces of information when that knowledge appears in their thoughts or dialogue.

Amongst the supporting characters we're familiar with from the scriptures we find the practical and faithfully steadfast Martha; the passionate and immovable preacher Peter; and Stephen, the Church's first martyr with a gift for teaching and ministry. Gamaliel, Ananias, Sapphira, Saul, and others make their way into this story. With both authors featuring a writing history that includes longer-than-your-average-trilogy series, I'm excited to see how far they will follow their series of fictional early Christian women through history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book!, Feb. 4 2010
This review is from: Hidden Flame, The (Paperback)
Davis Bunn and Janette Oke write THE BEST Christian fiction books! When you can't put the book down, you know it's good! Their books make me want to do more for the Lord. My sister died of cancer at 36 and she said to me before she died, "I feel like I didn't do enough for God." We will all feel that way when He returns. This series shows me how the Apostles stood up for what they believed - even when persecuted! Keep writing these wonderful faith-filled books!

3.0 out of 5 stars typical Christian fiction, Feb. 13 2010
Tara Robertson "tarasview" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HIDDEN FLAME, THE (HC) (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, Oct. 17 2012
This review is from: Hidden Flame, The (Paperback)
The Hidden Flame was the first book I read in the series and loved it! I am now waiting to receive my order for book 1 and 3. In the meantime, I'm reading another book...although I'm enjoying it as it's a book of one of my other fave authors, all I want to do is finish it so that once I receive the order I can read book 1 and 3.

Do yourself a favour, buy all three books now, you'll want to read all of them!

HIDDEN FLAME, THE (HC)
HIDDEN FLAME, THE (HC) by Davis Bunn (Hardcover - Dec 2009)
CDN$ 20.99 CDN$ 15.32