Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 20, 2002
Searching for God's plan for your life is an integral part of maturing now as it was for the teens in Lauraine Snelling's A Dream to Follow. Norwegian immigrant, Thorliff Bjorklund yearns for college and a writing career, yet his father sees a more practical future for his son. His father's dream is for Thorliff to take over the family farm.
Elizabeth Rogers has always wanted to be a doctor. But before the turn of the 20th century, woman doctors were not accepted. Elizabeth is determined and knows this is the path she is to take, but why so many obstacles?
Snelling alternates between the comfortable rural family life of Thor and Elizabeth's more sophisticated upper class atmosphere with ease. We are given many insights into Minnesota farm living and rural life as well as the life of a family in a more urban setting in the late 1800's. Snelling's writing is very simplistic and although she may not have intentionally aimed it at young adults, it would certainly appeal to teens who are searching for God's plan for their life.
This book displays how God's will for our lives may not be as clear cut as we would hope and that we must continually seek him and have faith in His plan.
--- reviewed by Robin for Christian Bookshelf
on September 26, 2002
This was a very good book, a great way to continue on the Red River series. It was very easy reading. I had a hard time putting it down and wanted to know if Thorliff would ever be allowed to attend college. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
on October 10, 2001
I'm not sure why this series is called "RETURN to Red River," Thorliff doesn't LEAVE the Red River Valley until the last 10% of the book. The plot jumps back and forth between Thorliff's family/friends in Blessing, and a girl named Elizabeth in Minnesota who wants to be a doctor, despite her social-conscious stepmother's desires. She meets Thorliff at the end of the book when he gets a job with her father's newspaper.
Info for fans of the other 6 books: there is one death of a long-time character, and 2 of Thorliff's friends get married and go west. The people introduced in "Blessing in Disguise" (book #6) are not mentioned at all, but based on the reviews, maybe they won't be missed much.
on October 18, 2001
I loved this next books about all the wonderful characters of Blessing. I was so excited to be able to read more about the characters and can't wait for the next one to come out. One of the major scenes towards the end of the book was definitely a tear jerker though. I was thrilled with most of the developments, but I would have liked to at least hear from the characters from Blessing in Disguise and hear how Augusta was getting on in South Dakota.
on May 3, 2014
Being of Norwegian descent, I was immediately interested in this series. This series is supposed to depict the lives of the Norwegian settlers, but OMG, it is such a boring read!!! I had to force myself through the first series, but only because I spent good money buying it. It didn't captivate my attention, nor was I engrossed in the characters and their relationships. Lauraine Snelling just isn't my style of writing.
on February 26, 2003
This book is very sweet and makes you think. It is different than what I usually read as far as romancs go, but very good and well-written. For different reasons I liked it as much as my top reads of late--Fantasy Lover by Kenyon and Anything, My Love by Cynthia Simmons. Sweet, fun stories you don't want to put down.
on January 3, 2014
Lauraine Snelling is an excellent writer about early North Dakota and the early
Norwegian emmigrants and their lives. Very enjoyable.
on May 15, 2014
Lauraine is a very good story teller, interesting details of the lives of the early settlers from Norway to North Dakota