4.0 out of 5 stars A nice relaxing read...
Published on April 28 2012 by Carla

3.0 out of 5 stars A sweet story set amidst the Amish
Published on April 19 2012 by christianfictionaddiction

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice relaxing read..., April 28 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Fiddler, The TP (Paperback)
I was really excited to read this novel by Beverly Lewis as I really enjoy reading about "Amish" life, values, traditions, etc... I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and think it's a great & relaxing read. It wasn't one of the novels that you simply can't put down, but still, I enjoyed slowly reading through this delightfully sweet novel and would definitely recommend it to others who enjoy this genre. It's a book that can be passed on to your daughters without worry of innapropriate reading material/subject matter. A clean & pure novel for anyone to enjoy! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars A sweet story set amidst the Amish, April 19 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Fiddler, The TP (Paperback)
Beverly Lewis' latest addition to the world of Amish fiction features beautifully developed characters who struggle with very real dilemmas like many of us face - such as how to reconcile our own hopes and dreams with what others seem to expect of us. I loved the unique background of Amelia, who is an extremely talented musician who has spent her life fulfilling her father's dreams of her becoming a world-renowned classical violin player, while feeling a call to a simpler life and the lure of fiddling. As a music lover myself, I really felt an affinity with Amelia and her love for music, and found the scenes centred around her music to be very enjoyable. Also, the development of the feelings between Amelia and Michael make for a sweet story set against the backdrop of the joys and struggles of being Amish. I have to say, however, that I found that the story did not hold my interest like prior novels from Beverly Lewis have, and I kept waiting for more action in the plot line. Despite that, I appreciated the wisdom sown through-out the story, especially from the "wise woman" Ella Mae. I appreciated her words to Amelia when she reminds her "There's only one person ya need to think about ever pleasin'....the Lord God above". These are words to take to heart, when we can become consumed with what others think of us. Freedom comes from knowing that it's only God we must please...and he loves us no matter what.

Fans of Amish fiction will no doubt enjoy returning to Hickory Hollow under the hand of Beverly Lewis. For myself, I mildly recommend this book and give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Easy Read, Jan. 18 2014
Wanda L. Coxon "wandalee" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Fiddler, The TP (Paperback)
Love Beverly Lewis. Great for a cold winter day & couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read the rest of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle musical romance for lovers of all things Amish, July 9 2012
Violet E. Nesdoly (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Fiddler, The TP (Paperback)
Love of music and the Amish ways combine in the latest Beverly Lewis novel The Fiddler.

Amelia Devries, the main character, finds herself stuck in the country in a rainstorm after losing her way from performing the opening act in a Tim McGraw concert. The fact that she''s really a classical violinist and is hiding her fiddling junkets from her parents and boyfriend helps us see that Amelia's musically successful life isn''t as satisfying as one would expect.

That stormy night she meets Michael Hostetler, an Amish rebel who faces similar challenges in that others have his future all planned and mapped out. The friendship that begins when she accepts his offer of shelter during the storm blossoms after he invites her to experience his Amish community of Hickory Hollow for the weekend. She soon sees that under the idyllic surface of Amish life are relationships and problems as complex as those she faces.

One of the book''s most interesting features for me was seeing the Amish ways and lifestyle through Amelia''s eyes, while being aware, through Michael's, of how her Englishness offends the members of the Amish community. It is a revealing juxtaposition.

I also enjoyed the way Lewis portrays Amelia the musician. Lewis speaks, in the Author''s Note, of being a musician herself. That familiarity with music and how it feels to play the violin comes across in more than one lyrical passage.

I also liked the way the two main characters work through issues of discovering their personal destinies within a cast of characters who are full of strong opinions, and the role that faith in God plays in coming to those decisions.

Having read several books by Lewis in the past, I found the basic explanations of Amish ways in this book, together with her rendition of Amish speech patterns ("'Ach no ....' 'But maybe you know that already, ain't?' '.... I doubt she''s back for gut'" pp. 153, 182) familiar to tiresome. But these things certainly do make the book accessible to someone who has not encountered the Amish before (if there are any such left).

The Fiddler is quintessential Beverly Lewis. Her fans as well as lovers of the Amish genre will find this gentle musical romance a pleasant reading interlude.

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant novel that is realistic,entertaining and very readable, April 26 2012
Canadianladybug "Canadianladybug" (Ottawa, ON, CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Fiddler, The TP (Paperback)
Earlier this month, my husband's parents came over to our house to do a bit a painting. His dad loves to keep busy and the two bathrooms on the second floor needed to be revamped a little bit. So they came and works on various things during that week. One day, after I finished homeschooling the kids I went upstairs and found my mother-in-love (I prefer this term instead of mother-in-law) was reading The Fiddler. She was totally engrossed in the story. It was a delight to see her reading it. I told her that she could read the book before me but at one condition. "What's that?", she asked. "Well, I need to write a review for it and you will have to tell me what you think of the novel when you are done.", I told her. "No problem." was her quick answer.

So that night she left the house and brought the book with her. She had already told me that from the beginning of the book the author catch the reader to want to continue to read more of the story. This past Tuesday, they drove with my husband to Toronto and apparently she was reading it while travelling because she wanted to finish it.

So you might be wondering what she thought of the book right? Here's her comments:

"The Fiddler book sweeps the reader of honest emotions and romance. The author puts it words so well because this book leaps and flies as you are reading. It is definitively a book you don't want to put down. I consider this a brilliant novel that is realistic,entertaining and very readable. I enjoyed it all the way from beginning to end. Bravo to Beverly Lewis."

I am pleased that she enjoyed reading it. Knowing her taste and seeing that she gave a rave review for it, I also know that I will enjoy this book when I get it back. I am looking forward to read a new novel of Beverly Lewis and reconnect with the Amish novels. It has been a while since I read some Amish literature and I think I am ready to read one now.

From what my mother-in-love told me, the book is a marvelous read for a summer reading list. It could be a great book to consider for your next vacation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from our originator of Amish Fiction, April 17 2012
"The Fiddler"

By Beverly Lewis

Another fantastic Amish novel from the author who gave birth to this popular genre in 1997! "The Shunning" was her first book that hit it big and those great books have not stopped coming. The setting is always in Pennsylvania , where Beverly was born and raised, thus her background in knowledge of Amish life is exceptional.

"The Fiddler" takes place in Hickory Hollow, Pennsylvania, where Beverly's first novels began, however this book has brand new characters, drama and new romances. An Englischer, Amelia Devries, takes a wrong turn in a rainstorm and ends up in a challenging situation, throwing her already confused life into turmoil. A concert violinist who likes to fiddle- quite the combination, and in total opposition to her parents' wishes. Now, Amelia encounters new difficulties and changes in her life.

Amelia meets Michael Hostetler, a devout Amishman, who lives in the exquisite little town of Hickory Hollow, an Old Order Amish community. Despite two very different backgrounds, both of these characters are feeling the same pressures, being hemmed in by the wishes and expectations of others. They are undergoing the same feeling of trying to attain their own goals and hopes, while it seems as it everyone important to them is opposing them.

Will this chance encounter change their path in life forever? Will God get them through these tough times?

Beverly successfully combines drama, romance and intense feelings into a winning story of faith and accepting God's plan for their lives. The characters become part of you- you worry with them , fear for them, and rejoice in their successes.
I could not put this book down. Had it read in a day and a half!!! Now, I am eagerly waiting for Book 2 in this series.
Great, great book!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming! Book #1 in the Home to Hickory Hollow Series (Beverly Lewis), April 14 2012
Louise Jolly "Bookaholic" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Ce commentaire est de: Fiddler, The TP (Paperback)
Baker Publishing Group | April 10, 2012 | Trade Paperback |ISBN 978-0-7642-0977-2
Story Description:

New from #1 Bestselling Author Beverly Lewis.

Amelia "Amy" DeVries, a 24-year-old violinist, is disillusioned with life and love after the collapse of her long-running romance. Weary of endless rehearsals and performances, Amy sets out on a road trip through the Pennsylvania mountains. She leaves her cell phone behind so life's demands can't intrude on her solitude. She doesn't know, nor care, where she will end up. When her car breaks down deep in the mountains, Amy realizes the flaw in her "no cell phone" plan. She abandons her car and walks the winding roads, searching for help. Following the smell of woodsmoke and the sound of music, she finds a rustic log cabin. There she meets a young Amishman--and through him a community--that will change her life forever.

My Review:

Amelia DeVries is a 24-year-old violinist who wants more out of her life than just performing week after week after week. Her father has spent his whole life priming her for the stardom she has now achieved but Amelia wants more out of life than just performing. Unbeknownst to her father, she ends up performing at the Mann one night headlining for Tim McGraw as a "fiddler" and she has an absolute blast! Her stage name for the "fiddling" Amy is Amy Lee and she's hoping her father doesn't find out.

On her way home she gets lost in a severe rainstorm and ends up with a flat tire and realizes she is going to be stuck in her car, in the dark, all night. She searches her glove box and finds a flashlight, little consolation to her but better than nothing. She suddenly sees a light in a window a little ways down the road and decides to get out of the car and head for the cabin. When she knocks on the door a handsome, blue-eyed, Amish man named, Michael answers the door. After exchanging pleasantries and introductions he invites her in. During that evening Amelia and Michael become friends and really like each other. The following day Michael takes her into his Amish community where Amelia agrees to stay for the weekend. She absolutely loves it there but soon realizes she isn't the only one with plans to change her life.

Through a cast of characters that you'll come to love, Amelia finally figures it all out but it might just surprise you want she ultimately decides to do.

Ms. Lewis has written a touching and heartfelt novel that will keep you turning the pages to the very end. I'm looking forward to reading Book #2 of this Home to Hickory Hollow Series titled: The Bridesmaid which will be out September 11, 2012.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

Fiddler, The TP
Fiddler, The TP by Beverly Lewis (Paperback - March 2012)
CDN$ 17.50 CDN$ 13.36