5.0 out of 5 stars A Woman You Love to Hate
Published on April 14 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is just plain annoying!
Published on March 23 2003 by mschlo

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is just plain annoying!, March 23 2003
"mschlo" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Save Money Every Day (Paperback)
I'm sorry but this is just not good! I mean, her money saving tips are creative but honestly , it takes hours to cut enough coupons to save that much money off of a grocery bill -- I don't know what her time is worth an hour but it's more than 10 dollars in my life. I also grew up wearing thrift store clothes (before it was cool) and hearing the kids taunt "your mama shops at K-Mart" -- if only my family had the money to shop at K Mart!
The point is, this woman is rediculous and incorrect in her statements at the least. If you can handle the god references and obsessive coupons and rebates (if you got that kind of time) than this IS the book for you. It's definitely NOT the book for me. I want my 10.50 and the two hours of my life back that this book cost me.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars actually......, Sept. 14 2003
This review is from: How to Save Money Every Day (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this book. Ellie Kay has a unique sense of humor. Wacky, might be a good word. (She calls herself the Coupon Queen and even has a nice tiara to wear.) She stresses coupons highly, so if you live in a rural area or hate coupons, then you might want another book. She tells A LOT of humorous type stories, mostly about her family. Her lovey nicknames for her husband Bob might be irritating if you're single or just want a less nonsense- more tips type approach. She does have a lot of references towards Christianity, although I didn't find it objectionable. I was impressed with the gardening section, and the holiday section. (Christmas is about Christ anyway, so the religious overtone feels like it "belongs" there.)The book was entertaining, and could be helpful, particularly if you need help with coupons and meal planning. The last self-serving chapter, (fan letters) was odd I thought. Overall it was a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Woman You Love to Hate, April 14 2003
This review is from: How to Save Money Every Day (Paperback)
I can see why another woman would love to hate Ellie Kay! She tells a great story, loves her husband and kids and tells us how to save money on top of it all! I'm a guy who found this book to be incredibly full of helpful information and the only reason I can see for a nick picking review is that others may be jealous! I didn't see the God factor in this book, although it's plain her family goes to church. I was also impressed by the debt reduction tips and how to find a good financial counselor. If you want to save money and be entertained at the same time, then ignore the sour grapes and you'll find this book to be sweet pickings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like discovering a gold mine, Jan. 30 2003
This review is from: How to Save Money Every Day (Paperback)
A whirlwind of great ideas. I love her stories, they made the rest of the book more fun to read. Some books are so idea oriented that they become boring. Ellie Kay is funny! I wish I could sit across the kitchen table from her and get to know her better.
Buy this book! I have save tons of money by following only a few of her ideas. I wish I had this book three years ago before we started having money problems. Because of Ellie we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a book on saving, Oct. 23 2002
This review is from: How to Save Money Every Day (Paperback)
I've read scores of books on saving money and this is the first one that reads like a "chicken soup" book combined with a Tightwad Gazette. If you just want straight facts, then this book is not for you--this author actually uses some great writing skills to make the "medicine" of saving money go down a little smoother. She is also very open and honest with her life, I've started buying all of Ellie's books as gifts because she's a rarity. This is a superwoman who brings supersavings to a level for super average people.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, better for the novice saver, Aug. 24 2002
This review is from: How to Save Money Every Day (Paperback)
I really wasn't that impressed. Her ideas are good but there really wasn't anything new that I wasn't aware of. If you are a novice saver than this is for you. It has great ideas for those that don't know where to find coupons or web sites. Her stories were interesting but a little lengthy at times. I just wanted to look over the material!

5.0 out of 5 stars How a Mother of Six Has Been Helped, Feb. 11 2002
This review is from: How to Save Money Every Day (Paperback)
In March of 2001, I "just happened" to be listening to a radio station to which I normally do not tune and heard Ellie Kay being interviewed about how she saves money on groceries. My ears perked up, because up to that time, I had been struggling to stay within my food budget. I am the mother of six children (ages ranging from 2-20). After hearing Ellie on the radio, I purchased How To Save Money Everyday (along with Ellie's first book, Shop, Save, and Share). Her books have been very instrumental in helping me save money on my grocery bill. Since I have been using Ellie's suggested methods of saving, I have also had enough to occasionally share with two single moms, as well as sending a variety of items to a children's home. I am very thankful for being led to hear about Ellie Kay's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Save Money Everyday, Oct. 2 2001
This review is from: How to Save Money Every Day (Paperback)
I could not have paid off three credit cards without this book! She gives the BEST advice from buying gifts to debt reduction. Has a wonderful chapter on teaching children on how to save not spend! Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, June 12 2001
Linda J Siert (Omaha, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Save Money Every Day (Paperback)
Ellie has once again combined her family's experiences, humor and knowledge of saving a buck. She gives advice on just about every area a family would be interested in saving money and it's easy to follow. It's definitely something you'll want to refer to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ellie Kay is fabulous!, April 14 2001
This review is from: How to Save Money Every Day (Paperback)
With four children 10 and under, I am always trying to find ways to save money. I have just recently bought both of Ellie Kay's books and enjoy both of them tremendously! I can't wait to share what I've learned with my family and friends. I am going to recommend to everyone I know to go out and get these books. These suggestions will help out so much, especially with only one income( my husband is a SGT in the US Army) and seven people in our house. Ellie, thank you so much for sharing with others what you know about saving money!

How to Save Money Every Day
How to Save Money Every Day by Ellie Kay (Paperback - Dec 15 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01