4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading

Published on June 14 2002 by J. Peterson

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading, March 26 2002
Marcie B. Reynolds "marciemo" (Long Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Beacon, The (Paperback)
This book was very good. It just came yesterday and I finished it today. I was happy to discover that there will be a 5th book as there are many questions left unanswered. I enjoyed the book but I did wish that things had happened differently for the characters. Of course, that's what makes it more like real life, things don't always go smoothly. I am pleased with the way the charachter Nicole has turned out and that we were able to at least visit with some of the other characters. I would have liked to have read something of the Acadian parents though. I am pleased that I bought this book now instead of waiting for it to come out used.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but not the best in the series, June 14 2002
J. Peterson "jenpeterson" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Beacon, The (Paperback)
So far, I have enjoyed this series very much. However, I thought that book 3 was the best so far. This book is the story of Nicole, more than anyone else, trying to find her place in the world. It is filled with faith, daring, adventure and love. She comes to realize that she must hold firm to her convictions of right and wrong in order to live a happy and successful life. Gordon comes to realize what it is Nicole requires in order to admit her love for him.
Throughout it all, the relationship between family members is strengthened and enriched by the love they share for one another. I am looking forward to book 5 this fall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filled with passionate romance, betrayal, and a revolution, June 7 2002
This review is from: Distant Beacon, The (Paperback)
Book four in Jannette Oke and T. Davis Bunn's "Song of Arcadia" historical fiction saga, The Distant Beacon is set amid the war for American Independence, as two women find themselves swept into different lives - one in Great Britian, the other setting sail for the American colonies. Filled with passionate romance, betrayal, and a revolution that will change the world, The Distant Beacon is a compelling novel that sweeps the reader away with its heartfelt emotion. Also highly recommended are the early volumes of the "Song Of Arcadia" series: The Meeting Place; The Sacred Shore; and The Birthright.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, Feb. 3 2003
A. Merritt (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Beacon, The (Paperback)
While Anne settles in England, Nicole sets off to oversee her Uncle Charles's property in Massachusetts. Gordon Goodwin acts as her guide as she first visits her parents, then traverses towards Massachusetts. War and devastation lie in her way.
As Nicole travels, she wonders if she will ever truly find a home, and if she will ever find the right man's love.
Messages of courageous faith, forgiveness, and love are woven into this book. I won't give away the exciting twists and turns, but I will say that I loved this riveting and well-written book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling!, July 30 2002
C. Jurjevich "cp-68" (atmore, alabama United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Beacon, The (Paperback)
I realized what a glorious text this was after I read thru it for the second time. The first time thru I got the impression that the storyline was somewhat scattered. But I was wrong. Thank you, Mrs. Oke and Mr. Bunn, for keeping the language and mannerisms true to the era and cultures portrayed in the books. Nothing is more disappointing and annoying than for the characters in the book to suddenly take on 20th century attitudes and conduct. A precious story...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not historically accurate, May 7 2004
Meg "Livin la vida loca in Maine!" (Presque Isle, ME, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Distant Beacon #4 (Hardcover)
It was a really good book that I got deep into, but I must admit the historical perspective of the book was off in places. That did not take away from this gripping story. This was my first book I've read in this series, so it took me a while to understand the ins and outs of ths story. For people who may be reading this, I would recommend you read the other books in the series first so you don't encounter the same problem I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the 'Song of Acadia' Series....., April 12 2002
Deborah L. Woodstuff "IntoTea" (Wellsburg, WV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Beacon, The (Paperback)
This may very well be the best book yet in the series. The story line is very believable and unpredictable. I must say that all the books in the series are great and once started are almost impossible to put down. I am excited that another book in the series is coming out in the fall of 2002.
As the other reviewer mentioned, I too would like more involvement of the Acadian parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Dec 1 2014
I didn't want to put the book down. Very well written with interesting characters.

The Distant Beacon #4
The Distant Beacon #4 by Janette Oke (Hardcover - Feb. 15 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01