5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy updated edition
Published on Sept. 2 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the real beginners
This book is excellent for someone looking to design a family or personal website. but when it comes to designing a professional looking website it is useless.
Published on Dec 23 2001 by Timothy Kassis

2.0 out of 5 stars "Fast and Easy" Books are Much Better, Jan. 27 2004
Lee C. Carpenter (Landisville, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FrontPage 2000 For Dummies (Paperback)
After reading "Frontpage '98 - Fast and Easy" when I was using that version of the program, I have to say that this book is not up to the task. Information is unnecessarily repeated, sometimes within the same chapter. It has no flow or momentum towards easily completing a web site. And it curiously contains few illustrations and screen shots for a "Dummy" book. I'm going back to the "fast and Easy" series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Front Page for Dummies 2000 flops!, Oct. 30 2003
This review is from: FrontPage 2000 For Dummies (Paperback)
I wanted a book to learn FP 2000, I went straight to the Dummie section. The Dummie proved to be me.
First let me say, I have been creating websites for several years in HTML, so I'm not a novice, but this book frustrated me!
Poorly written, jumps around until you are confused. Skims each subject, nothing in depth here. A lot of important information is skipped, and 2 chapters are on the CD. So, if you want to use them, you have the expense of printing them yourself! The CD is full of outdated links also.
I actually learned more using the tutorial that came with FP 2000, the Dummy book was a complete waste of my limited book funds...

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the real beginners, Dec 23 2001
Timothy Kassis (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FrontPage 2000 For Dummies (Paperback)
For example: When I bought this book I thought it would not only teach me how to put colors on my webpage but also how to pick the right colors that reflect the contents of the webpage... You can learn the information that this book presents with out reading the book. you can just use FrontPage for a couple of hours and you would probably learn more than reading it.
If you want to learn FrontPage 2000 then start with this book, but don't depend on it to design a real professional website.
I can say that it only tells you how to use FrontPage and not how to design a website with FrontPage!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point, worth the price, Oct. 10 2001
Schrade (Glendale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FrontPage 2000 For Dummies (Paperback)
I read this book a couple of years ago as a fledgling "web master" for a non-profit organization. With virtually no experience in web design before, I was able to complete this book in a weekend and start designing in Front Page. It was the perfect book to get me started. I have since outgrown Front Page and moved up to Dreamweaver which is much better suited for large advanced sites. Though, I still think Front Page is the fastest way to create a simple website and the easiest way to manage a small to medium sized website. Front Page for dummies will give you the essential skills you need to use Front Page and is a quick easy read. Well worth the nominal price of the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars You will outgrow this book in two days..., Dec 26 2000
This review is from: FrontPage 2000 For Dummies (Paperback)
If I had it to do over again, I would just take the Microsoft tutorial that comes free on the FP 2000 disc, and then buy a MUCH MORE HEAVY DUTY reference book. While this book was entertaining and clear enough, FrontPage 2000 is far too complex a program to deal with in this "Dummies" format.
I ended up very frustrated trying to understand the concepts, because they were far over-simplified.
This book probably got me up and running more quickly on the basics of my first attempt at a web page. HOWEVER, the difficult answers - about folders, server extensions, PWS, etc. were glossed over too much to be of any value.
You'll eventually need one of the 900 page reference works to be successful here...

2.0 out of 5 stars A great book if you want to STAY a dummy., Oct. 17 2000
Sharon Wylie (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FrontPage 2000 For Dummies (Paperback)
Whenever I have a new software to learn, I go buy the "dummies" title to get me up to speed. Sadly, I'll be returning this title and looking for something more informative.
Although this book does teach you how to use FrontPage in the most basic possible way, it does not cover some very fundamental topics. For one thing, the author recommends using readymade (albeit customize-able) "themes" to design your site, with little information on how to format if you're NOT using a theme. The author also neglects to mention that using a theme will create a huge folder of theme graphics in your web, whether your site uses those graphics or not. So you can double or triple your upload time.
This example is emblematic of many problems with the book. I'm not a sophisticated computer user, and when I'm first learning a software, I count on the "dummies" titles to answer my novice questions. When I have questions that go unanswered, something's wrong.
This might be a good book for the individual user who wants to fool around with the software and perhaps design a personal web page. But if you're looking for the skills you need to design a professional looking site, look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Reference all right, Sept. 18 2000
This review is from: FrontPage 2000 For Dummies (Paperback)
This was quite a informative book, it gives you all the things you need to master frontpage 2000. I would just wish it could of gave a example part in the book. Instead of all tutorials, the example part for this book may happen in future editions, more than likely.
You are also given a CD with the book which includes software and a few example pages done with frontpage. But no reference to how they have done these pages. I'm no rookie or anything so it comes as common sense but not everyone figures things out the same. So wondering how to do these pages could be a problem for people. There are 361 pages in this book I feel this could of been cut down to 250.
But OVERALL good book with a vast range of information all about Frontpage. Will soon hopefully get you making great looking web pages. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars What The Manual Should Have Been, June 6 2000
This review is from: FrontPage 2000 For Dummies (Paperback)
This book does an excellent job of leading the FrontPage beginner throught the mechanics of the program and explaining the possibilities available. Where the supplied manual explains what can be done, this book shows how to do it in an entertaining manner. Five stars would have been earned had there been a section with examples (not tutorials) and how they were achieved using tricks and graphics.

3.0 out of 5 stars The title serves the book, March 28 2000
This review is from: FrontPage 2000 For Dummies (Paperback)
The book gives sufficient info so that you can get on with using FrontPage. It is quite humorous and the author tries not to keep you bored while reading this. However, I'd suggest another book unless you consider yourself somewhat a dummy. The author thoroughly explains things that are more or less common sense. Some things are very easy to understand so I suggest not reading a whole page reading about them, as a result if you familiar with Windows and have some experience with the Internet, don't waste your time reading this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy updated edition, Sept. 2 1999
This review is from: FrontPage 2000 For Dummies (Paperback)
I liked "FrontPage 98 for Dummies," and this updated edition is just as good. The author clearly explains the basic features of a very complex program and provides practical solutions for the new user. Advanced topics (database connectivity, ASP, theme customization, etc.) are left good for a good reason: this book is one of the least intimidating books I've read. Highly recommended.

ARRAY(0xb3e60d80)

FrontPage 2000 For Dummies
FrontPage 2000 For Dummies by Asha Dornfest (Paperback - May 21 1999)
CDN$ 26.99 CDN$ 13.50