4.0 out of 5 stars A good Dummies book
Read the title! This is not an HTML book. If you are hoping to be able to code your first web site after reading this book, you might struggle a bit.
Published on Oct. 24 2000 by Water Monkey

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely outdated!!
Published on Dec 13 2003 by Guillaume Drucy

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely outdated!!, Dec 13 2003
Guillaume Drucy "drucyg" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building a Web Site For Dummies (Paperback)
I purchased this book in October 2003 and, even though I was a total beginner, I quickly realized that it is completely out of date!! DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK TODAY. This book was published in October 2000, and web programming and publishing programs have evolved so much since that there is barely anything relevant in this book anymore. After some further research, I decided that the best way for me to build my website was to learn one of the 'HTML visual editor' programs, and I purchased a recent book on DreamweaverMX which has all I need.

1.0 out of 5 stars Real dummies: just say NO..., Jan. 13 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Building a Web Site For Dummies (Paperback)
When the "Dummies" series books first came out, they were truly for "dummies". Apparently not so anymore. Right on the cover of this book is the phrase "Go from Web surfer to site developer". Well, web surfer I am, and what I was looking for was a book to give me the ABSOLUTE BASICS about creating a web site. This book assumes that you as the reader, already know how to create a web site!! HELLO!! If I knew how to create a web site, I wouldn't need the book, thanks. Page 2 "Foolish Assumptions": "We figure that you have some kind of experience with creating web pages." WHAT?! I thought this book was going to turn me from a surfer to a developer. Page 27: the first line of chapter 3 reads "This chapter's here just in case you need a refresher on basic web page building before..." CHAPTER 3! Refresher! This book obviously should be titled "Enhancing Your Web Site for Dummies". This book does not even explain to a "Dummy" how to create the file necessary to create a web page. What a waste of twenty bucks.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Dummies book, Oct. 24 2000
This review is from: Building a Web Site For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a decent book on how to construct a web site. As with most "Dummies" books the explanations seem to drag. However, I have found that they can be a good introduction to a subject, if the reader is truly "in the dark".
If you have never written any type of computer program, or if you struggle with using your computer, and are still set on creating your own web page (go for it; they aren't that tough) buy this book and "HTML for Dummies". The combination of the two will get you up and running.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book but...., Sept. 21 2001
This review is from: Building a Web Site For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a good book for people who have some knowledge on HTML. It also has some good tips for webmasters, especially if your planning on a commercial site. But if you're experienced, then this book has nothing you won't already know. It truly is 'for dummies'.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK For general Ideas, April 6 2001
"foxyroxychick" (Hawaii, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Building a Web Site For Dummies (Paperback)
If you are looking to code a webpage or site, buy this book along with HTML 4 for the WWW by E. Castro. Castro's book is easy to follow and deals with multi-browser webpage construction. This Dummies book does give you a good feel about the practical things to consider when constructing a website. Not just about creating a page with links and pictures, but about practical navigation construction and how to build websites for a particular audience (ie. websites for your family versus an e-commerce site). Some useful info here, but they should not jump into HTML without creating a good feel for it in this book--try Castro's or HTML for Dummies--becuase this book could have served one better if it stuck with the key ingredients for a decent site, then had a small primer for HTML or recommended good HTML books. For other website design books, try Web Usability by J. Neilsen. This is an ok book that deal with the problems associated with website construction--Web Usability has color pictures and is not dependent on any one design software package.

3.0 out of 5 stars Won't Help you achive "Site of the Year", Sept. 30 2000
This review is from: Building a Web Site For Dummies (Paperback)
THis book has a great deal of helpful hints and is pretty decent at walking a new web master through the basics. But I felt that firstly, they hopped between basic web design and complex script languages too much. When I want to learn HTML I will get the HTML for Dummies© book (which I did buy). I am still amazed they were able to make the book so thick with so little information in it. Maybe it was the cute cartoons which were still not worth the twenty dollars I paid for the book.

ARRAY(0xb11f3678)

Building a Web Site For Dummies
Building a Web Site For Dummies by Rhonda Crowder (Paperback - Aug. 31 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01