5.0 out of 5 stars The only way to get started by yourself
I hate to say that this whole leave-a-review thing on Amazon[.com] is a total waste of time, but I have a high suspicion that many of the people leaving "wisdom" have ulterior motives. I.e., the competition tries to make the product look bad, and, by the same token, the book's publisher submits a fantastic review.
I can't understand how people have given this book a...
Published on Dec 29 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory job of explaining HTML language to new user
Published on Nov. 14 2002 by R. Geissman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Redundant, Jan. 12 2004
J. Horrell "rockcrawler" (Winston-Salem, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I've bought a few dummies books through the years and the one common theme throughout them all is REDUNDANCY. They repeat the same things over and over ad nauseaum. Do your self a favor and pickup the basics (all you'll get from this book)at any number of online sites. Do a google search of Basic HTML and you'll get a lot of sites and will teach you more than this book and it's FREE! Please avoid this junk. Besides who do they think they're calling dummies? You're only a dummy if you buy there products. Just call me a reformed dummy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Aweful, Oct. 9 2003
David Hicken (Thousand Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
What a load of crap. These two authors have no business writing a book and whoever decided to publish it is a moron. It's all over the place with no real order to it and says absolutely nothing. Don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is the most useless HTML book I have seen, Aug. 4 2003
By A Customer
I love HTML and I've got lots of books about it at home. So far as I am concerned, this is the worst. There's at least half of the content that could be demolished. It kept saying things over and over again and that space would at least take 1/5 of the whole book.
It didn't explain HTML properly (which is the most basic thing), it doesn't much helps beginners nor experts. this is really a FOUL book. There's HEAPS of other books with this prize better than this book ten times!
Remember: If you're planning to learn or improve your HTML, do NOT buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only way to get started by yourself, Dec 29 2002
This review is from: HTML 4 For Dummies®, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
I can't understand how people have given this book a bad rating. I'm a smart guy, went to Princeton, honors math and physics there, but haven't done computers in 15 years. Acutally started with Dreamseaver for Dummies then realized I needed to learn HTML. Unlike other books, I was able to read through the entire book, chapter by chapter. The rambling non-code-related text was very helpful in understanding the background for much of the text...something one would get in one-on-one lessions. The background info also broke up the technical secitons to make them bareable The book was a breeze to go through. I know HTML now, at least the basics, and using Dreamweaver to do sites makes a whole lot more sense now, too.
As an aside, I had tried several other books on Dreamweaver and was totally unable to get started...until I got Dreamweaver for Dummies. The other books are perhaps a little better as references, but Dummies is by far the best at teaching the basics.

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory job of explaining HTML language to new user, Nov. 14 2002
R. Geissman "Lodi Shopper" (Lodi, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML 4 For Dummies®, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
This book could have been about 200 pages shorter if they left out the redundant info on content and style of content. I would call this book "Keep it simple silly" as they must mention the KISS theory about 400 times. While I did get a better understanding of HTML after reading it. I was surely not prepared to make much of a web page when I was done digesting these 400 pages. I suggest picking it up at the library as I did and then getting a HTML reference book. Heck you can just go to WebMonkey or some other tutorial web site and learn just as much but quicker. It served it's usefullness but I would never buy it or reference back to it after reading it.

3.0 out of 5 stars First let me be absolutely clear..., July 4 2002
R. Tiedemann "Sunnye" (Bellevue, NE USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML 4 For Dummies®, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
... I HATE DUMMIES BOOKS.
All dummies books. I think it's insulting and arrogant to place the reader in the position of claiming to be stupid in order to obtain information about something. It would show more respect (and therefore be deserving of money earned from sales) if titles were something like "HTML Simplified" or something.
There! I'm glad I FINALLY got that off my chest.
All that said, I bought this because it was required in an online course I took. (I resent the title so much it actually hurt to pay for it. I may not know much about computers, but that doesn't mean I'm a dummy.)
As I went through it I decided the dummy isn't the reader at all. I leave it to you to decide just who is! Compare this book to Jakob Nielsen's DESIGNING WEB USABILITY (subtitle: The Practice of Simplicity)and it comes out sadly lacking. In DUMMIES the humor is strained and sometimes inappropriate (tests should be serious)and there's too much repetition (stating something twice -- the second time as a reminder -- is plenty). As far back as Chapter 20 the authors are still saying things like, "Going easy on the graphics, bells, whistles and hungry T.Rexes."
Web design is fun. It's easy to learn. But that doesn't mean that because you don't understand it, you're dumb. It just means you ought to buy a different book on the subject, one that shows respect for the reader.

1.0 out of 5 stars HTML 4 for people who love stupid jokes and useless filler., Jan. 17 2002
"freaknasty1092" (Honolulu, Haiwaii United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTML 4 For Dummies®, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
When I bought this book, I was under the impression that it would teach the HTML language. Thats ALL of the HTML language. This book seems to go into great detail about certain things that arent really that important and even repeats some of them over and over in different chapters (like the "don't use too much graphics on your web page" lecture that appears about 10 times throughout the book). Then, it spends very little time explaining the actual HTML tags and sometimes only gives a very brief decription about the attributes for that tag.
The worst part is in the very last chapter. Throughout the entire book the authors tell you about these "style sheets" and how great they are. They tell you how these "style sheets" are going to replace this tag and that tag in the next version of HTML, which is XHTML. Finally, you get to that final chapter that is going to unlock the mystery of these "style sheets". Here's what you get: "Before you dive into this chapter expecting to find out how to create and use style sheets, please understand that we don't tell you much about how to make style sheets of your own in this book." Thats straight from the book.
What really makes me mad is the page after page of useless filler information that could have been used to actually tell me how to make a friggin style sheet! Now I have to go get another book on HTML.
So, in comclusion I would like to say this. If you know that HTML is used to make web pages and you know how to turn your computer on, this isnt the book for you. Go find a book that was written for people who are serious about learning HTML. You may miss out on the page after long page of retarded jokes and useless info, but I guess you cant have it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide for Beginners, Oct. 29 2001
This review is from: HTML 4 For Dummies®, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
I found this to be an excellent way to learn HTML. What most people consider "filler text" I found to be in depth explanations of how and why HTML works. It is not a quick reference book, that is why there is a HTML 4 for Dummies: Quick Reference. It is also not an advanced book, but it does cover almost every aspect of HTML, the only problem being that HTML is not a very advanced language. If you want advanced info, find books on Javascript, but for the beginning HTML writer, this is an excellent rescource.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not get to the point, Aug. 16 2001
This review is from: HTML 4 For Dummies®, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
Instead of just explaining the tags and showing examples the book goes into long-winded discussions on how things work -- discussions that amount to nothing more than filler, which the reader must sort through in order to find the information he needs. It is a very basic book. I just purchased it and could not wait to learn HTML. After reading the first chapters I actually became disgusted. It does not get to the point or even teach you the way a book should instruct you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Basic, not for the serious, July 12 2001
This review is from: HTML 4 For Dummies®, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
This book, like some of the other "Dummies" series, contains useful information, but it's hidden among the jokes, wisecracks, and other verbosity. I just wanted a quick, painless and efficient way to learn HTML. This book makes you spend too much time to learn too little. When I read it, I find myself scanning and filtering the text to read only the information, and skip the "Captain Neato" stuff. (the cartoons are good, though!) I'm sure it's a good introduction if you are the type of person who wants to learn very basic HTML a little at a time amongst friendly conversation, but if you want to learn serious HTML productively and skip the goofiness, I would recommend a different and more thorough book.
The book also has a habit of introducing examples of code with features before explaining what those features are (like tables), so you can't fully digest the examples without reading the chapters ahead.
It also spends time talking about "cool" things you can do with HTML, but then explains that either the features are depreciated (scheduled to drop off in future releases of HTML, so you may not want to use them), or cautions you with other reasons why you may not want to use them (such as using graphic lines or buttons instead of the standard html tags for these features. This in itself isn't bad, but just contributed to the amount of info to wade through to get basic proficiency.
There are other ways to learn this level of HTML, such as viewing source of public pages, web sites devoted to HTML, and maybe even your browser's help documents.
I think the book could use an update, since the level of info seems very basic, and more targeted to producing personal or informational pages, not very targeted to today's commerce or other transactional sites.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

HTML 4 For Dummies®, 3rd Edition
HTML 4 For Dummies®, 3rd Edition by Chelsea Valentine (Paperback - June 7 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.39