4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful
I agree to an extent, with there being some mistakes, but none so big that I couldn't figure it out, and I am new to the action script world. The thing that was so great about this book, why I give it 4 stars is that it was very well explained, it made it easy to follow and know what I needed to do.
I am working on becoming a web developer, and have mastered several...
Published on May 10 2003 by Lana

3.0 out of 5 stars Has potential but needs code fixes to work.
This book has the potential to be a great book, but I keep running across several frustration factors that keep me from giving this book a higher rating.
Published on April 26 2003 by Shari Morehead

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Chocie, Feb. 1 2004
Zach Atkinson (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Building Great Flash MX Games (Paperback)
After trying to cope with this chapter on collision detection for over two weeks, I have decided that this book needs to be revised immensely. On page 47 you give a chunk of code to "Define the ball". The chunk of code you give lacks any commenting whatsoever, and worse yet, when I turned to page 48 I was given ONE SENTANCE to explain SEVEN FUNCTIONS. The sentance wasn't even helpful. "The instnace of the ball mocie clip moves down the stage to collide with the rectangle movie clip". Great, I have no idea which one of these functions does each. I know JS and C++ but AS is still new to me so wading through it is a bloody chore. Later on page 48 you have a chunk of code, this time with a comment. More helpful indeed, I understood this chunk, but you told me to insert it into line 19. That did all of nothing. A friend and senior programmer had to look at my code, and implement it much farther down, more like line 39 if I recall, plus change some of the code. That is rediculous. 48 goes on more. Defining boundries. You give me this line of code:
gBallBaseLoc[200,300];
gGameRect = [0,0,400,500];
gHMax = pGameRect[2] - 5;
You then explain gGameRect, the easies of all the variables to figure out, and omit to tell me the other two descriptions. I assume that BallBaseLoc is where the ball starts on screen and gHMax is the ceiling, but assuming isn't much good for me. Once again this code doens't work at the place you indstructed to put it in either.
What I'm trying to say is I got burned badly by this book. I am a college student, paying my tuition, transportation, and books on my own minimum wage part time job. I parted with my FIFTY DOLLARS [which is a LOT of money to me] for your book, and it hads caused me nothing but headaches. If this is only chapter four, I can't imagine what else lies in wait for me.
I'd think that I could solve my problems by looking at your downloadable source, but the truth is that this particular movie isnt even in your source. There are several games like pacman that you don't even mention in this chapter, but somehow the source is included, yet not this. I am upset.
The purpose of this email is to let you know that your integrity is comming into question from the poor work you have released. I recommend you revise this book ASAP, because your work is a reflection of you, and it isn't looking great to me. You did not respond to my earlier email, which is fine. I wanted to let you know that I am copying this email and putting it in every review of your book online that I can find, just to warn off other people in my situation. I hope you seriously consider the points I have brought up. Thanks,
-Zach Atkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Has potential but needs code fixes to work., April 26 2003
Shari Morehead "tekchic" (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Building Great Flash MX Games (Paperback)
First of all, in chapter 4, there are code typos, and the only way I could get the code to work was by trial and error until something clicked. He has source code and fla's available, but he doesn't have one for the "movieCollision.fla" that he keeps building on.
It works you step by step through a project, but there are SO many holes. You'll have a nice working first part of the project, then when it's time to move on, suddenly there are three layers and a bunch of keyframes, and he didn't explain what was supposed to go on which layer, and how even in the book he went from a single layer in the first part to three layers, actionscript, and several keyframes.
I've been developing in Flash since 1999 and am also a programmer, so it's not for lack of knowing the tool that I'm having problems with this book, it's the fact that his instructions are not as well fleshed out as I'd like.
This could all be fixed by posting "errata" on the website, but to-date none exists for the particular projects.
With a 2nd edition, maybe this book will get a little better editing, and a more thorough look at the code to make sure it's all viable. Otherwise, the book definitely has potential. I'd have paid more to have a CD with full source code on the book to check my work against instead of a website the doesn't have all the book examples available for download.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, May 10 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Building Great Flash MX Games (Paperback)
I am working on becoming a web developer, and have mastered several languages, as well I have worked with flash a lot before jumping into scripting. I did have an advantage of knowing the basics of flash, but I still believe that the book is very well written, compared to other computer books that I have studied. I don't think anyone who would want to learn game development could not understand.
I think that there could be a second edition with corrected material and that would be the perfect flash book, especially for beginners. Matthew, in my opinion has a way with making harder things simplified.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to game design in Flash MX, Nov. 25 2003
David G. Ashworth "David Ashworth" (Smyrna, TN United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Building Great Flash MX Games (Paperback)
The code covers the basics of games and is great for the money. It does include some software introduction that doesn't come with Flash (Soundforge, Macromedia's communication Server and mentions 3D software like Swift 3D, etc). All of these seem like great packages to own if you are serious about making games.
I was having an issue getting the code from the site and the author replied with a valid explanation and information on major plans in supporting the book beyond pages themselves.
The book has a number of completed games to use as examples to learn from, as well as additional code on his site. If the reader has a basic programming knowledge of JavaScript or any C based language (Java, C++, C#, etc), the reader could learn and understand all the concepts within this book. It's definitely a good starting place.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where was the editor?, Dec 17 2003
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Building Great Flash MX Games (Paperback)
If you learn by following examples, this book is not for you. The author's enthusiasm for the topic seems genuine, but his instructions are haphazard. Unless you're two steps ahead of him (which, if you were, you probably wouldn't be interested in buying his book), you're going to have a hard time learning anything. Not surprisingly, there's a disclaimer in the front of the book that reads, "...the publisher and author...make no representations or warranties with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the contents of this book..." Definitely not a user-friendly experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Building Great Flash MX Games, July 29 2003
"jahleela" (Boise, Idaho United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Building Great Flash MX Games (Paperback)
This Book is GREAT!!! I come from an Art BackGround and Action-Scriping is my first attempt at Programming, this is the first book I have read, and used, that helped me to grasp the syntax and building blocks of Action Scripting. The Author Matthew David, lays out some step by step projects, and does well at explaining the process along the way, I had success early in the book and that kept me motivated. WELL DONE!!
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn action scripting to make games, with flash.

1.0 out of 5 stars Top ten Hall of Shame, June 25 2004
"walibi" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Building Great Flash MX Games (Paperback)
A must not buy. Perfect example of juggling between poor dictating and bad spelling. Combined, it makes it almost impossible to understand what he means or figure out where you misspelled the non working scripts provided by the book.
Went halfway through it and knew I couldn't return it because of it's discount.
257 pages, binding included. Weights about 300 grams. It's printing process must have been way more exciting then it's content is.
0 ou of 10
#1 Hall of Shame

Building Great Flash MX Games
Building Great Flash MX Games by Matthew David (Paperback - Dec 6 2002)
CDN$ 32.99 CDN$ 20.78