5.0 out of 5 stars This book is terrific!, July 1 2004
This review is from: Rookie Teaching For Dummies (Paperback)
After 30 years in the business world, I am embarking on a new adventure in the teaching profession. I will be teaching Math to 7th graders in a few months, and I found this book invaluable in preparing me to face the upcoming first day of school. Of course I am scared and a little nervous, but this book is so full of down-to earth practical advice that I feel so much more prepared after reading it than before. The experience of reading this book, has been like having an experienced master teacher right next to me, ready and willing to answer all of my many questons such as: "Do I need to collect and check every homework assignment?" (The answer is, NO), "How am I ever going to memorize over 150 student names?" (Michael Kelley shares a trick that works!), "How will I deal with repeat troublemakers?", (Mr. Kelly tells you when to drop 'The Atomic Bomb')!
I recommend this book to all new teachers! Don't face your first day of teaching, without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have for any Rookie Teacher, Oct. 29 2003
This review is from: Rookie Teaching For Dummies (Paperback)
I am a Teacher Candidate at the University of Illinois at Chicago. I begin my student teaching in January. This book has taught me more in the week since I bought it than two years in professional education classes.
This is the book that tells you about the "dirty" off-limits topics like dealing with sexual harrassment, behavior management, unions, and more. Kelley give advice and tips in a no-nonsense fashion that will help any rookie teacher survive his first day.
As a future urban high school teacher, this book will be one of my most important resources to help me survive my first year teaching. I have already highlighted and bookmarked countless pages and I'm sure I will read this cover to cover many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where has this book BEEN?!?!, Nov. 8 2003
This review is from: Rookie Teaching For Dummies (Paperback)
Oh my freakin' God. This is the book I have been looking for for MONTHS! I'm student teaching very soon and I have been seeking a book to help me with all the practical things that are taboo in University education classrooms. This book will be my bible when I student teach. I have had it for a few weeks and its already bookmarked, highlighted, and showing signs of wear. I can't believe how helpful this book has been. I have recommended this to every Teacher Candidate I speak to. If you are now or will shortly be a rookie teacher.... BUY THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for Teachers, July 2 2003
This review is from: Rookie Teaching For Dummies (Paperback)
I truly enjoyed reading "Rookie Teaching for Dummies" because it prepared me for the teaching profession. Whether you are a professional teacher of one or twenty years, this book will be an asset to you. I learned about legal issues, behavior problems, learning styles, building professional relationships, and helpful websites to make my class environment more amicable. I felt very confident about entering the classroom after I read the book. I appreciated Kelley's real life experiences and practical advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical help, Aug. 11 2003
Laurie (Virginia, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rookie Teaching For Dummies (Paperback)
I wasn't sure what to expect out of a Dummies book but I was very pleasantly surprised. This book is full of very practical advice on teaching. It has information that is helpful for all grade levels, with specific notations for elementary and secondary students. I have read other teaching books that are very feel-good but wishy-washy and not really helpful. This book is full of real world, practical advice for new and aspiring teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funnnyyy!!! yet, super helpful, April 23 2013
This review is from: Rookie Teaching For Dummies (Paperback)
I am not a rookie instructor and I do teach adults, but the author is quite funny and I often find myself saying "I completely agree" or "Yup, I've been there". Michael kelley is true when he explains that what he teaches us in the book is not taught in College or University.

When adults go back to school, some of them often become like teenagers in so many ways, therefore I can still relate to this book.

I recommended this book to a fellow instructor who has over 16 years of experience but her first time teaching!!

Great work MIchael Kelley, it is a pleasure to read and I often go back for references.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, July 20 2003
This review is from: Rookie Teaching For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm a journalist-turned-teacher who found this book to be extremely helpul in a variety of areas.
Not only that, but it's well-written and very entertaining.

Rookie Teaching For Dummies
Rookie Teaching For Dummies by W. Michael Kelley (Paperback - May 23 2003)
CDN$ 23.99 CDN$ 17.32