5.0 out of 5 stars The Best for beginer-intermediate
Published on May 28 2003 by xman

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you want...
If you are a beginner to programming languages this book is very good. If you are a proffesional this is a book that you would breeze through in a night, maybe two to get an overview of the language.
Published on Sept. 26 2002 by P. Martinez

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had this book when I was learning PHP, Oct. 14 2003
"grumpychris" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP: Your visual blueprint for creating open source, server-side content (Paperback)
Books on PHP are definately improving as time goes on. This is the best book I've seen so far for the beginner, and I definately wish I had it when I was started learning 3 years ago. A wide variety of functions were covered to get the novice familiar with how PHP works, giving them a good foundation to move onto more advanced books and/or tutorials.
I would have given it 5 stars if it weren't for the fact that it failed to stress the importance of form related security (which should definately be taught from the beginning), as well as writing with registered_globals off (which is the default setting in PHP for 4.2 or later). Many beginners who follow this book may wonder why their scripts aren't working because of it.
Overall, though, I was very impressed with the layout of the example code, with plenty of pointers explaining what each part of the code is doing, as well as how easy it was to skim the text that came with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best for beginer-intermediate, May 28 2003
xman "xman" (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This is not the book to be used for developing an e-commerce site (security issues left out)nor is it for advanced PHP features nor is it reference of all the PHP features. Its a book for someone who has had some little exposure to some other programming language and would like to develop a web site in PHP. This book takes from you from beginning through intermediate level and it does it very well and very clearly without confusing you with endless options and parameters and permutations of every PHP function. It covers the most usefull and basic fucntions and does a very good job. I have three books on PHP, this is the one I start with to learn a concept because it is quick, clear, and to the point. As I want to learn more advanced features I consult other books later or php.net

5.0 out of 5 stars You've read the othe reviews. Now BUY IT, April 23 2003
Robert E Lee (Somerset, KY United States) - See all my reviews
Straight to the point is the best way to describe this book. If your new to programming, the sections on arrays, strings and program flow will give you a solid foundation on which to build your skills. BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, Dec 26 2002
By A Customer
I am currently in college for computer programing and have read many books, some for college and some not. Between classes and homework time was a tight issue. Many books have alot of text, which can be hard to read all at once. With this book I could pick it up on any page that I was reading without having to backtrack and remember what has already been explained. This is extremly helpful because of the tight time. I am surprised how fast I learned the syntax of PHP, I think this was due to the pictures explaining how things work. And being able to take breaks inbetwen reading. I would recomend this book to anyone who wants to learn PHP, although the book is small, and doesn't have many pages do not be sceptical for it really is great. I also have the Visual Blue Print for mySQL which is what I will be reading next if it is as easy to read and learn as this one, I will be buying alot more "Visual Blue Print" books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best PHP-reference Around, Oct. 15 2002
R. Anthony Mills "R. A. Mills" (Baltimore) - See all my reviews
As an developer wanting to learn additional languages and distinguis between the syntax differences of web-coding languages, I was particularly happy to find a book that served as a true example-based reference guide. Ironically, I've not even "cracked" the CD packaging!
Whether you need to install and configure Apache, install PHP or use it to code, install MySQL or use it in your PHP scripts, this book walks you through it all. There's even a handy comprehensive PHP functions reference in the back of the book. Personallly, I liked this book better than the one for dummies.
I would definitely recommend this book for anyone wanting to know more about PHP.

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you want..., Sept. 26 2002
P. Martinez (Grants Pass, OR United States) - See all my reviews
The book is good for a beginner because you cannot get more detailed about the small topic chunks they covered at any given time. The books assumes you know nothing or virtually nothing of programming languages or server side scripting.
The book is only a wet your lips kind of thing for a proffessional. It will not give you everything you need to really write good production sites. You need another book for that. Even though it only wets your lips, this book is a good book even for the proffesional because it is a very quick read for someone who knows other programming languages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginner's...., July 16 2002
Travis Bell (Calgary, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this book in hopes of it being a little bit more advanced, not to say that I didn't learn much, and the author's more visual aproach is something that I enjoyed. Overall I give it 4/5 stars, because it is a GREAT book for those just learning the basics of PHP.
I recommend this book to anyone needing a great book to learn the ins and outs of PHP :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best tech book I have ever read., July 3 2002
I really good book for begginers. Easy to read. Fast learning.

3.0 out of 5 stars This book needs improvement., March 5 2002
"phprawks02" (Bakersfield, CA United States) - See all my reviews
It does a good job of explaining basic programming functions... But once you get into anything somewhat advanced your left in the dark.. confused.. The section on database use with php is excellent. I wouldnt reccomend this book if your starting out with programming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets to the Point, March 4 2002
Great book - it really gets to the meat of the matter with plenty of examples. This series in general is meant for fast, visual learning without all the reading.

PHP: Your visual blueprint for creating open source, server-side content
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.44