5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to learn PHP quick and as a reference
Being a Civil Engineer by training, I needed a book that quickly put me into PHP/MySQL with the least possible hassle and maximum efficiency. This book did it! I started just reading through without highlight anything (to be able to return it if not convinced), but liked it much that by Chapter 2, I put my name on the book.
I would certainly recommend it to people...
Published on Aug. 30 2002 by Esteban Trevino

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, awkward text
Published on Nov. 4 2002 by Todd E Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

This review is from: MySQL/PHP Database Applications (Paperback)
I have now purchased just about EVERY book I can find on using PHP and NOT ONE of them is capable of being completed from beginning to end due the the HORRENDOUS editing errors in them. This book, the 2nd Edition, no less, was the last in my now enormous collection of miserable books on PHP and seemed to have some promise. I was impressed with the fact that the author or publisher included the complete set of files in order to be uploaded you a live web server and, after spending a half an hour uploading those 10 megs (REALLY!) worth of files to my server thought that I might actually be able to finally get some files to work - silly me.
So, after spending several hours trying to determine EXACTLY which files needed to be altered in order to connect to both the database (oh gosh, even the NAME of that database is kept hidden) and to change the appropriate variables contained in the huge number of files, and then trying to mess around with the bogus files that allegedly will install and make the appropriate changes to the files on the server, have just GIVEN UP. What a NIGHTMARE.
Why, oh WHY can't a publisher put out a book with the code (and easy to find and read INSTRUCTIONS) that actually WORKS?!?!?!? Spending a few billion dollars on every book ever published on PHP and not getting a single one of them to WORK is nothing less than an outrage.
No, I'm not a complete computer programming "newbie" and yes, I've spent the last several months wasting time writing to publishers regarding the ERRORS in their books (to which they ALWAYS confirm the errors but fail to post them on their non-existent errata sheets).
I've HAD it. DON'T BOTHER with this book until an errata sheet has been posted AND detailed instructions are provided on configuring the code to work on your server. It would be one thing if this and other PHP books were just a few dollars but, at a whooping $40 per book (or MORE), getting things to work should be REQUIRED! An ERRATA sheet also needs to be published AS SOON AS PROBLEMS ARE DISCOVERED.
And, as is so often the case, it appears as if this book COULD HAVE BEEN USEFUL - had the publisher had the decency to have just ONE PERSON sit down and work their way through the manuscript to find the obvious problems - that, however, is apparently asking too much.

This review is from: MySQL/PHP Database Applications (Paperback)
No, I'm not a complete computer programming "newbie" and yes, I've spent the last several months wasting time writing to publishers regarding the ERRORS in their book (to which they ALWAYS confirm the errors but fail to post them on their non-existent errata sheets).

This review is from: MySQL/PHP Database Applications (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good overview, offset by typos and poor organization, Jan. 21 2003
John Berliner "yawny" (Crisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I found the first few chapters to be the most valuable ones, providing overviews of general topics. In particular the chapter on relational database design would be good for someone who's a new or intermediate database designer.
After the first few overview or theoretical chapters, though -- once you "dive into the code" -- things start to unravel pretty quickly. The choice of topics covered via code examples seems random and arbitrary. It's possible that perusing the code included on the CD would be of value. That might be true if the code wer not riddled with typos and errors. As for the text itself, once you get into the code sections, you can almost count on a typo or more per page. I even found errors in the entity relationship diagrams. As another reader pointed out, discovering the errors may serve as a debugging exercise, but that's not why you buy a book like this. And if you just want to peruse code, there is plenty of open source stuff out there for free.
As a web developer with some familiarity with MySQL and PHP (and extensive programming experience in other areas) I found this book to be incomplete and spotty as a guide to developing PHP/MySQL applications. You could do worse, but you could do a whole lot better.
I get the feeling that they ran out of time with this one, and rushed to finish it up. It's too bad that the second half of the book isn't as good as the first half.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, awkward text, Nov. 4 2002
The authors provide a good coverage of using PHP and MySQL. They guide the reader through the elements of the language and using PHP and MySQL together well. I also found the summary of MySQL functions and the PHP function reference in the appendix to be helpful. Several example application systems are provided that are very relevant to current practical web database system applications, this is a big plus. Another nice feature of the examples is a database schema is included for each application -- nice touch!
... but the text is somewhat awkward, I fault the publisher. My first comment is that the code samples and snippets in the text are TOO LARGE, the font appears to be about 2 sizes larger than the body text. Also, the headings and subheadings in each chapter are hard to distinguish, maybe this is an M&T Books standard. I don't mean to be picky but I had a hard time reading the text and the large font probably added 80 pages to the book. Also, more screenshots could have been provided for the applications showing the user interface.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to learn PHP quick and as a reference, Aug. 30 2002
Esteban Trevino (El Paso, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I would certainly recommend it to people with little or some programming experience that are more comfortable with a procedural approach. Starting from zero knowledge of PHP, I read the book in about three weeks and got the shopping cart operating in about five, great for someone like me doing this as a hobby.
Areas where this book can be improved is its managment and explanations regarding Regular Expressions. Also, the section in the Appendix that deals with intalling Apache web server needs improvement. Jay, you need to walk the reader step by step (as you do in the body of the book) through the coldness of Apache. Is kind'a scary to have a DOS window in Windows with Apache sitting right there with no clue of what's next! I look forward to Jay's 2nd edition of this book to see this corrected.
Good job Jay!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Fluff, Feb. 23 2002
A. C. Johnson (Menlo Park, CA) - See all my reviews
I first learned PHP from Luke Welling and Laura Thomson's excellent "PHP and MySQL Web Development," and bought 'MySQL/PHP Database Applications' to provide an alternative perspective on solving problems. Unfortunately, this book doesn't offer enough content to warrant its high price.
A full 58 pages is devoted to a PHP function reference which is a bit of a joke because PHP has one of the better online function references available. Code examples are printed with very large font again taking up more space than is necessary.
Most important, though, some of these examples are a little bit suspect.
They present a Catalog application written using Object Oriented Programming (OOP). This would have been valuable except that the classes they create are so specific that they couldn't be re-used -- basically negating the value of OOP to begin with.
They do provide a couple of examples of good and bad relational database schema, but that isn't really worth the cost of this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beginners Go Elsewhere, Oct. 19 2001
You've probably read elements of this review in other people's posts. Here's the straight dope for beginners:
Start with something else. PHP FAST & EASY is much better than this. I've read that and still don't know what to do with this book. I thought I was ready for it, but to be honest it's just poorly laid out.
What the authors SHOULD have done was take each section and force you to write the scripts giving you step-by-step examples and explanations to each. This never happens. Instead what you do is cover all functions and the basics of programming first, AND THEN they insert elements of each important aspect of the scripts. This forces you to look at the CD and try and match up with the book. (Which is not EXACT!)
I'm sure I could figure out how to write these apps given a few months worth of exploring and trial and error, so why did I buy this thing when I can do that from tutorials on the net?
This book is a waste of money for those that want to learn powerful applications in a 1 - 2 - 3 step manor. If you enjoy cross referencing, if you enjoy the author telling how to write the script one way in the book, but showing you another way on the CD then this is the book for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book with the involvement of other books, Sept. 14 2001
Only one year ago I had no understanding on PHP, MYSQL, Apache, RedHat or Unix, nor did I have any formal training in programming. Now, I have written very elaborate and fully expandable programs that are portable from one application to another and have been promoted Sr. Web Designer in the Internet Systems Department of my company.
This book was one of my frequently used library of books which included MySQL, PHP, Apache, Redhat and Unix Manuals. If you have a good base for programming you may not need it but it will help you create a structure for your code to follow, unlike most PHP code that is out on the web now. PHP is a pretty easy to understand language once you make it past the learning curve so, therefore there are tons and tons of horribly disgusting code that works. This book will help you learn to build your code so that you can use it over and over and not limit your ability for expansion. I do recommend this book but only if you accompany it with other important manuals.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a Good Learning Tool, Sept. 4 2001
If you want to take some code off of a CD and get something up and running in a short period of time, this book is ok, but if that's your purpose you'll find more useful code on the web.
If you're looking to learn PHP and MySQL by doing something useful and writing code and such, this isn't the book for you. 85% of the code is written for you in this book, and included on the CD. While you would think this would leave room in the book for thorough coverage of other things, that just isn't the case.
The first 7 chapters do little more than introduce a user to MySQL and PHP, and the NINE APPENDICES in back do little more than that. The projects in between are worthy projects for novice PHP programmers I suppose, but I don't imagine you learn much when you're not really writing any of the code! It's all done for you, leaving you to write a few menial blocks that do nothing but call the files that are already written to use those functions - which is nearly useless if you want to learn PHP.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

MySQL/PHP Database Applications
MySQL/PHP Database Applications by David Wall (Paperback - Oct. 31 2003)
CDN$ 43.99 CDN$ 27.71