5.0 out of 5 stars husband is enjoying it
I bought this for my husband who has taken up birdwatching. He seems to be really enjoying it and keeps telling me little things he has learned.
Published 3 months ago by Carol Ann Rowland

1.0 out of 5 stars A better title is Bird Watching By Dummies
This book is full of erroneous information that will lead the new twitcher astray, promote competition rather than cooperation between birders, and discourage some of the finest moments of birdwatching -- those involving sharing new sights and sounds together. I recommend that if you want to watch birds, buy a bird book, a pair of binoculars, and go look at birds. One...
Published on Jan. 26 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars husband is enjoying it, April 20 2014
Carol Ann Rowland - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bird Watch, March 14 2014
This review is from: Bird Watching For Dummies (Paperback)
This book looks great. Haven't read it all but flipped thru it and looks awesome. What I have read looks like the information I will require for bird watching

5.0 out of 5 stars The best introductory book for bird-watchers so far!, Nov. 24 1998
This review is from: Bird Watching For Dummies (Paperback)
When I accompany Rodger Titman, my ornithological sidekick, on leading a field trip of bird-watchers of all ages and experience, we usually find it prudent to split the group between us. After all, how many self-respecting birds are going to hang about with the harangue and hubbub of a humongous herd of humans?! Not just because Rodger is a much more experienced birder than me, I generally volunteer to lead the group of total neophytes. While we might not spot those rare, exciting species, I simply find it satisfying to turn people onto birding and to teach them the basic ingredients of such a pleasurable hobby. No question asked of me is ever judged in my mind to be "dumb"! Moreover, I have never referred to anyone in any of my groups as a "dummy". So don't be insulted if I insist that you rush out to your favourite nature or better book store and buy a brand-new book called Bird Watching for Dummies. Written by Bill Thompson III, editor of a classy popular magazine called Bird Watcher's Digest (BWD), Bird Watching for Dummies is probably the best book you're ever gonna read on this subject! Gosh, I wish I'd written it! Part of the award-winning ...For Dummies(R) series (remember Computers for Dummies?) published by IDG Books World-wide, Inc., this so-easy-to-read-that-it's-funny volume contains information on just about every aspect of bird-watching you can think of. Want some examples? How to design and maintain a bird-friendly yard with feeders, baths, gardens and houses. Where to obtain all your birding needs. How to identify both eastern and western birds from hummers to herons and even recognize birds by their songs. How to go beyond just bird-watching locally by participating in bird counts, tours and festivals. There's much more. What's really neat about Bird Watching for Dummies is that the text is broken up into nicely digestible, humorous tidbits so that you don't have to read it all. It's so understandable that you'd have to be a dummy not to learn something from it! If you're going to buy one bird-watching book in your lifetime, besides your favourite field guide, of course, this is the one to get. It's a bargain at $26.99 (ISBN 0-7645-5040-3). Trust me on this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, fun to read, every birder needs it!, May 28 2001
"ckellerman" (Arlington, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bird Watching For Dummies (Paperback)
I have never spent my money on a better book! This book got me into birdwatching and nature. In "Bird Watching for Dummies," Bill Thompson, III introduces you to his passion of observing birds. The book is filled with information and tips on which optics, field guides, bird seed, and books to buy, and very useful tips on how to observe bird behavior, identification, and attracting birds to your yard with food, water, shelter, and plants. If you are thinking about becoming a bird watcher, you must buy this book- if I could give it sixty stars, I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars The dummy speaks, Nov. 25 1998
This review is from: Bird Watching For Dummies (Paperback)
I have thoroughly enjoyed Bill Thompson's book. It's rare when you can find a book that is so informational and completely entertaining as well. I love the sensitivity of the drawings throughout. I intend to use this book quite often; in fact I am currently building a bluebird nesting box. Birdwathchers most likely have the stigma of being eggheads, but this book certainly wouldn't lend credence to that (comparing a bluebird's love of worms to Homer Simpson's doughnut cravings is pure delight). Anyone at all interested in our feathered friends would enjoy reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great how-to guide for bird watching and bird feeding!, Nov. 25 1998
This review is from: Bird Watching For Dummies (Paperback)
This book gave me the confidence I needed to become more active in birdwatching. If you want to attract more birds to your backyard, this book gives you practical how-to-do-it advice on birdhomes, plants that attract birds, dealing with squirrels and other "pests," feeders and foods, etc. Now, thanks to this book, I have the confidence to venture beyond the backyard, thanks to the down-to-earth encouraging tips about identifying and enjoying birds.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny and factual, Nov. 23 1998
This review is from: Bird Watching For Dummies (Paperback)
Mr. Thompson has written a book that beginners will like for its information and clarity while more advanced birdwatchers will enjoy for it fresh insight and humor. The pictures and artwork will also be useful for everyone. Highly recommened!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for the unitiated, but interested birder., May 20 1998
This review is from: Bird Watching For Dummies (Paperback)
Bill Thompson has written an absolutely splendid guide for the person who knows little about birds except what they see out the window or left on the hood of their car. The book is basic enough that the neophyte can start from zero and work their way up, but organized in a way that an "intermediate" can find real value too. I'm not a hard core birder so I can't speak to how one might view the book.
The text is easily readable, not boring and zips along with more than the occasional joke, witticism or bad pun. Truly, the humor is well placed and Thompson writes in a semi-self deprecatory manner that is refreshing for an expert in any field.
What I liked most was the practical aspect of helping someone start from scratch in attracting birds to their yard through choices of feeds, plantings, open spaces and other ideas. I'm convinced that if you want to attract birds this book will help you do so. A bonus was the color section of high quality photographs of Thompson's favorite birds.
The book even had a nice little section on birding ettiquette for the unititiated who might find themselves in company with veterans. Always good to know what to say or not.
With the possible exception of bird haters, I think almost anyone would enjoy this book. Well, maybe not Tippy Hedrin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and enlightening, April 26 1998
This review is from: Bird Watching For Dummies (Paperback)
Into a universe of bird watching books that is characterized by tomes that are technically correct, tedious and bound to discourage participation in this wonderful activity by the novice, comes this gem of a book. Bill Thompson's writing provides the reader with a wealth of useful advice blended with just enough humor to bring across to the reader the shear joy of birdwatching. If you there is a friend, a loved one, or just someone that you want to turn on to birding, this is definitely the book to recommend or to give.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like five bird books for the price of one., April 15 1998
This review is from: Bird Watching For Dummies (Paperback)
In the tradition of the Dummies series, IDG has again sought out the best author in the field in producing Bird Watching for Dummies. Bill Thompson is clearly at the top of bird watching. Readers are rewarded with his storehouse of knowledge presented in a delightful and witty style. No turnstone is left untouched as Thompson covers every aspect of birding for every level of interest. Casual birders will find the book extremely informative and enlightening. Serious bird enthusiasts will discover tips and trivia that will enhance their knowledge and renew their enthusiasm. Thompson's personal love of bird watching is visible in his ability to provide descriptions and details as colorfull as the artwork and photogrophy you'll find throughout the book. More extensive than a field guide and more interesting than a how-to book. It's like getting five bird books for the price of one. You'll find yourself referring to it again and again.

Bird Watching For Dummies
Bird Watching For Dummies by Bill Thompson (Paperback - Oct. 6 1997)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87