4.0 out of 5 stars Now I can play

Published on June 9 2003 by B. Elmore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Now I can play, Dec 31 2003
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought the book the other day and breezed right thru it. It's great in that you can skip around the book to the sections you NEED to read (or refresh yourself on). I keep it handy because I often refer to it. It is thorough in explaining various aspects of reading music, playing, etc. The humor interspersed makes it enjoyable to read rather than boring but the humor doesn't detract from the content and lesson. Glad I bought it and you should buy it, too, if you want to teach yourself how to play!

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel like a dummy for buying this book, June 9 2003
B. Elmore (Duluth, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought several books on learning the piano at the same time. I found this book to be the least useful. As several other reviewers mentioned, the author's sense of humor is pathetic and he tries to throw in a "zinger" every other paragraph. "Thats's right, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, pengiums and parakeets...". Believe me. I not exaggerating on this. I cringed at almost every one of the author's attempts to be humorous. However, this was not enough to discourage me from continuing to read the book. That occurred after having to read over 50 pages before the author presented the first exercise. An excercise that it does not use a middle C hand position, requires you to move your hand, does not indicate which fingers to use for which keys, etc. After looking at this first exercise, I decided not to continue. I suspect that the author has never taught a single piano lession.
I also picked up two books called "Total Piano" and "Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course" both of which I've found quite good so far. If you have a digital piano with a MIDI interface, check out "Teach Me Piano". I've been using it for a few days now, I can't say enough good things about this piece of software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, April 8 2014
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm relearning the piano after 20+ years. Didn't think it would be this tough. So thankful that these books are available. Easy to order, quick in the mail. Thank so much!

3.0 out of 5 stars the dummy and idiot market is insatiable, Feb. 25 1999
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
We've learned in the past few years that there are many more dummies in the world than we had reckoned on and that the dummies are much more ambitious than we had supposed. They want to be taught to do everything. In any case, this is a serviceable work for persons of average intelligence (or so), but of course there are many other general method books available, many of them much better (and there are piano teachers as well.) I particularly recommend PENTATONIC SCALES FOR THE JAZZ-ROCK KEYBOARDIST by Jeff Burns.

5.0 out of 5 stars you'll be playing tunes for the family pet before ya know it, Dec 8 2002
"cleverjoe" (CleverJoe.com Canadian musician's resource) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
Okay, so the title and book cover design are extremely overused (whoever came up with the original title must be just rolling in dough from the licensing fees), but this is a really good book for those with absolutely no previous music experience. It gently walks you through the basics of learning piano, and you'll be playing tunes for the family pet before you know it. Highly recommended, CleverJoe gives it three big thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this book down!, Dec 1 2002
J.J. (Naperville, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I have been playing for only 6 months and am taking lessons and found this book a great help in learning about the piano. It is fun to read and has slot of very useful information and ways to remember things about the piano. Some interesting history behind the piano and ways to buy and maintain the piano. I have more pages in the book dog eared than any other piano book I have. You must get this book and the CD that comes with the book is a real help in learning timing and the way a song is to sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for DUMMIES!; Great way to begin!, Sept. 29 2001
Marquis (Jersey City, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book 2 months ago and started practicing an hour from it daily. The results were shockingly great and speedy. After a week of practice I would go back and shoot through the preliminary songs as if they were child's play!
My one problem with it is the way you're presented with practice material. It's never specified how long or often you should practice something before moving on. Just be patient and ONLY MOVE ON ONCE YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH A PIECE. Do that and this minor problem won't affect you at all.
I really like the play along cd. It does help alot. Also, the humorous way in which you're presented with all of the material this book contains will have you learning great amounts of theory and technique without even realizing it. This book is great as a reference book as well.
So, although it's challenging (sight-reading in particular), you'll soon learn that with a little consistence and assiduity you'll be on your way to "tickling the ivories with the best of 'em"!

1.0 out of 5 stars A Total Waste of Money, Jan. 12 2002
B. KURTZ (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I wish they had a zero star rating, but I was forced to give at least one star. This book is overly lengthy, boring, condescending, and not even appropriate for a five year old. I wish I could send mine back.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book ain't no dummy, March 31 2001
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is GREAT! It is helpful to have some type of background before reading it but still a very helpful book. It comes with a CD so you can hear what they are talking about in the book -very helpful for those of us who prefer to play by ear rather then read music.
The information is short and to the point - stuff, no fluff. The information made sense. I was playing so much better in just the first day of reading it.
Stick with it and read it over and over. It sinks in and makes sense - stay with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Helped Very Little, March 6 2001
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I was expecting this book to help my playing,But it helped very little. It seemed like I was reading more than even touching the piano. The book is a ok referance book, but didn't explain some of the important things in enough detail. So it really wasn't what I was looking for in a self-teaching book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb5b804f8)

Piano For Dummies
Piano For Dummies by Blake Neely (Paperback - Sept. 4 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 1.10