4.0 out of 5 stars Now I can play

Published on June 9 2003 by B. Elmore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Now I can play, Dec 31 2003
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought the book the other day and breezed right thru it. It's great in that you can skip around the book to the sections you NEED to read (or refresh yourself on). I keep it handy because I often refer to it. It is thorough in explaining various aspects of reading music, playing, etc. The humor interspersed makes it enjoyable to read rather than boring but the humor doesn't detract from the content and lesson. Glad I bought it and you should buy it, too, if you want to teach yourself how to play!

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel like a dummy for buying this book, June 9 2003
B. Elmore (Duluth, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought several books on learning the piano at the same time. I found this book to be the least useful. As several other reviewers mentioned, the author's sense of humor is pathetic and he tries to throw in a "zinger" every other paragraph. "Thats's right, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, pengiums and parakeets...". Believe me. I not exaggerating on this. I cringed at almost every one of the author's attempts to be humorous. However, this was not enough to discourage me from continuing to read the book. That occurred after having to read over 50 pages before the author presented the first exercise. An excercise that it does not use a middle C hand position, requires you to move your hand, does not indicate which fingers to use for which keys, etc. After looking at this first exercise, I decided not to continue. I suspect that the author has never taught a single piano lession.
I also picked up two books called "Total Piano" and "Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course" both of which I've found quite good so far. If you have a digital piano with a MIDI interface, check out "Teach Me Piano". I've been using it for a few days now, I can't say enough good things about this piece of software.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for DUMMIES!; Great way to begin!, Sept. 29 2001
Marquis (Jersey City, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book 2 months ago and started practicing an hour from it daily. The results were shockingly great and speedy. After a week of practice I would go back and shoot through the preliminary songs as if they were child's play!
My one problem with it is the way you're presented with practice material. It's never specified how long or often you should practice something before moving on. Just be patient and ONLY MOVE ON ONCE YOU'RE COMFORTABLE WITH A PIECE. Do that and this minor problem won't affect you at all.
I really like the play along cd. It does help alot. Also, the humorous way in which you're presented with all of the material this book contains will have you learning great amounts of theory and technique without even realizing it. This book is great as a reference book as well.
So, although it's challenging (sight-reading in particular), you'll soon learn that with a little consistence and assiduity you'll be on your way to "tickling the ivories with the best of 'em"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this book down!, Dec 1 2002
J.J. (Naperville, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I have been playing for only 6 months and am taking lessons and found this book a great help in learning about the piano. It is fun to read and has slot of very useful information and ways to remember things about the piano. Some interesting history behind the piano and ways to buy and maintain the piano. I have more pages in the book dog eared than any other piano book I have. You must get this book and the CD that comes with the book is a real help in learning timing and the way a song is to sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars you'll be playing tunes for the family pet before ya know it, Dec 8 2002
"cleverjoe" (CleverJoe.com Canadian musician's resource) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
Okay, so the title and book cover design are extremely overused (whoever came up with the original title must be just rolling in dough from the licensing fees), but this is a really good book for those with absolutely no previous music experience. It gently walks you through the basics of learning piano, and you'll be playing tunes for the family pet before you know it. Highly recommended, CleverJoe gives it three big thumbs up.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Introduction for Adults, June 27 2000
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I was looking for an introductory book for adult piano student. Although I could do without the title "dummies," the cartoons, and the jokes, the meat of this book was the best of all the others on Amazon.
Most of the other books teach very little except simple popular ditties. This book actually had -- yes -- scales and other exercises for both the left and right hands, with fingering techniques simply applied, but fully explained.
And for those who want some tunes, there are (in addition to the standard ditties) actually some worthwhile classical adaptions, such as some of the best-known themes from the Bach cantatas.
I was quite impressed with how much basic and even intermediate material was included in the book, and explained with clarity and simplicity.
Since I read music already, I was able to skip many of the first chapters and get right into the practice and technique material, so I can't comment on how clear the music-reading chapters would be for a total beginner. However, I expect that if they are as good as the rest of the material, they should be fine for that purpose as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Condecending, patronising, badly edited, impossible to read., March 17 2000
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is aimed at the LOWEST possible common demoninator. I certainly won't be purchasing any more dummies books. Filled with pathetic one-liners and bad analogies, any useful content is obliterated by forced gags and the consistent ending of every paragraph with a bad pun. This is not only the worst edited book I've ever seen, but it also failed to introduce all musical notation before presenting it on a score, leaving me wondering what I'm supposed to do when I reached certain symbols (ie: the rest symbol). Not reccomended at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book ain't no dummy, March 31 2001
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is GREAT! It is helpful to have some type of background before reading it but still a very helpful book. It comes with a CD so you can hear what they are talking about in the book -very helpful for those of us who prefer to play by ear rather then read music.
The information is short and to the point - stuff, no fluff. The information made sense. I was playing so much better in just the first day of reading it.
Stick with it and read it over and over. It sinks in and makes sense - stay with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to music theory incl. keys and chords., Aug. 15 1999
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
Contains a wealth of music theory for the beginner, and as such it's a valuable addition to the beginning student's resources. However, it's not a really good exercise book. The CD included with the book contains blurbs of the music examples in the book, but I don't know WHERE they got the performances, which are of uneven quality and are not particularly good for the listener trying to hear a good piano line.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good on the Fundamentals, April 27 1999
This review is from: Piano For Dummies (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book. It's written in the breezy, irreverant style of the Dummies series, which can annoy or ease depending on the author; in this case ease. It filled in many of the holes in my musical education (I was taught by computer).
Still, I would say not to expect miracles. A book (or a computer) is no substitute for a qualified human instructor. It is only an aid, but a good one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Piano For Dummies
Piano For Dummies by Blake Neely (Paperback - Sept. 4 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.96