5.0 out of 5 stars Quality & Value
Living in the Florida Keys we have dealt extensively with discarded Iguanas - perhaps 15 or more. People buy them, and get rid of them constantly - and down here, in the semi-tropics, they can survive (with difficulty)in the wild.
Published on June 5 2003 by D. Schramm

2.0 out of 5 stars Not informative, don't waste your time
I have had an iguana for 6 years now and there is only one book that I have found informative and necessary. It is Hatfield's "Green Iguana". Kaplan's book is very cluttered and offers no real life information on how to care for your ig. Don't waste your money.
Published on Jan. 12 2001 by Amanda Lively

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality & Value, June 5 2003
D. Schramm (Key Largo, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iguanas For Dummies (Paperback)
With all the iguana problems we have encountered good information is a necessity, & we have purchased many iguana books including Hatfield's "Green Iguana, the Ultimate Owners Guide" (a great book, but we still prefer Kaplan's "Iguanas for Dummies").
If you still want addtional technical data you can add "What's Wrong with My Iguana" by John Rossi M.A., D.V.M. and "Understanding Reptile Parasites" by Roger Klingenberg D.V.M.
Kaplan's book is based on research & a lot of personal experience. It is thorough, and her experience shows through - there are tidbits of information that have been useful to us that we have not found elsewhere. She has long maintained a caring website to help iguana owners and potential iguana buyers - not just to sell books. And the price of this book is reasonable.
By all means get a good book like Hatfield's or Kaplan's - preferably before you get an iguana. Even if the book talks you out of getting an ig for a pet it will be well worth the price. Proper care for an iguana involves a devoting a lot of time and spending a lot of money. The cost of the animal is nothing in comparison, and they are far more complex to care for than a dog, cat, or hamster. Judging from the number of abandoned iguanas in the Florida Keys a huge number of people do not bother to inform themselves and the animals suffer. It may not be entirely their fault. Many pet stores do not seem to offer the best books or accurate information - often they just want to sell a hapless reptile, and make a few bucks on inadequate (sometimes dangerous) supplies and food. They frequently give bad advice.
Whatever book you get you will still need to get a good experienced herp vet., and they are hard to find. Things go wrong with iguanas that are not covered with specificity in any of these books. We have been unfortunate enough to encounter some of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Book Before You Buy An Iguana!, Jan. 16 2003
James R. Mckinley (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iguanas For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is an excellent resource for both novice and so-called expert Iguana owners. It would be especially useful for any prospective Iguana owner. Iguanas grow to be very big lizards in a relatively short period of time. They can be agressive, and territorial. There are many husbandry requirements thatthe local pet store will never tell you. In fact, if you follow most pet stores advice, you will end up with a dead Iguana. This book should help prevent this from happening.
The first chapter is regarding whether the Iguana is the right pet for you. It should be read before deciding on an Iguana as a pet. remember, these are not domesticated animals. There are also excellent chapters on housing, feeding, and socialization of Iguanas. Finally the book disproves much misinformation provided by older books, and disseminated by pet stores. For instance, many pet stores sugest feeding cat food to juvenile Iguanas. What they don't tell you is that while this results in a quick growing Iguana, it also results in an Iguana dying at about four years of age from kidney failure.
There is an excellent resource section in the appendix, with useful websites and references to manufacturers of various reptile products including cages, food, and heating systems.
This book should be required reading before the purchase of any Iguana.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Iguana Owner Resource, Nov. 21 2000
Michael Kaiser (Gilroy, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iguanas For Dummies (Paperback)
Like most "Dummies" books, this resource guide offers pretty much everything you need to know about its subject. (Iguanas in this case.) It covers iguana history, habits (both in nature and captivity), common illnesses, requirements for housing and feeding, and even a section on tameing and training. Melissa Kaplan has definitely done her homework, and continues to do so with her online research web site, anapsid.org.
The only complaint I have in this book, is that aside from the "About the Author" section at the beginning, there really isn't any indication Kaplan actually raises iguanas. The book lists many options when it comes to enclosures and feeding, but it would be nice if the author specified what exactly she does for her own pets, or provide specific examples of what has happened (good or bad) in the raising of her reptiles.
Other than that minor complaint, I enjoyed reading this book and have already used it numerous times as a resource for determining the best course of action for raising my own lizard.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Longer A Dummy!, Oct. 14 2000
This review is from: Iguanas For Dummies (Paperback)
After reading Melissa Kaplan's book (which could be alternately titled Everything You Wanted to Know About Iguanas But Were Afraid to Ask,) I can proudly say that I am no longer a dummy! When my husband and I purchased Kiawahine (named after the Hawaiian Lizard Goddess), we uncharacteristically did not research owning an iguana for a pet. Once we brought her home and surfed the web for a little more information, we were overwhelmed and dismayed to find that we did not know the first thing about taking care of a reptile. In fact, we discovered that there was a lot to learn about the care of this fragile lizard. We found Melissa Kaplan's internet pages very helpful and purchased her book soon after perusing her website. The book covers everything from the basic but vital first question, "Is an iguana the pet for you?" as well as choosing your iguana and bringing her home, owning multiple iguanas, information on the species, the iguana's environment and what you need to create a comfortable home for your new pet, cleaning and feeding your lizard, socialization, potential health risks and problems including human health risks from handling an iguana, breeding and reproduction, lighting requirements and still myriad other details. The appendices even include a list of toxic and edible plants, associations and veterinary resources, publications and supply sources. I would recommend that any person even contemplating getting an iguana should buy or borrow a copy of this book before taking an iguana into your home as a pet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Day for Green Iguanas, Aug. 26 2000
Linda (Norfolk, Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iguanas For Dummies (Paperback)
Green Iguanas everywhere are rejoicing at the release of the new book, "Iguanas for Dummies", by Melissa Kaplan. Ms. Kaplan, a longtime iguana caretaker and wildlife rehabilitator who is well-known and respected in iguana keeper circles and on the internet for her willingness to share the results of her years of experience with iguanas and other reptiles as well as the quality of her advice on their care, has written a thorough and easy to understand guide to iguana keeping that does not sugar coat the numerous responsibilities and demands (not to mention cost!) of housing and maintaining a healthy iguana. As an iguana owner myself, I have no one but Ms. Kaplan to thank for keeping me from killing my iguana through ignorance. Her excellent website, and now this book, will cause many iguana owners to owe her their thanks for a healthy iguana. This book should also be read by anyone who does not own an iguana yet, but is considering getting one. This book will let you know exactly what you're in for. There is a wealth of information in "Iguanas for Dummies" covering everything from diet to egg-laying. Information is easy to find, easy to read and understand. If you own an iguana or are considering becoming an iguana keeper, you need this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Melissa Kaplan is the best source around for iguana info!, Sept. 13 2000
Sarah Plummer (Medford, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iguanas For Dummies (Paperback)
I am so glad that Melissa Kaplan has written this book. Both the life of my iguana and myself have improved thanks to her book and information. With pet stores ignorant of iguana care, whether by accident or the desire to sell one more heat rock, so often people never get the knowledge they so desperately need to take care of their new green friends. Before I found this book I did a lot of searching through pet stores for books and found erroneous information on iguanas and had given up. Internet searches led me to a fabulous website run by none other than Melissa Kaplan, and it was there that I was able to learn how to take care of my iguana. Now her book can help thousands or millions more as I have no doubt it will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! It talked me out of getting one! ;-), May 18 2001
Nunya Business (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iguanas For Dummies (Paperback)
I was really impressed with this book! They really picked the right person to write it, too. It's probably the only iguana book (or reptile book, for that matter) that isn't dry as dust. This one is actually understandable! I'd been wanting to get an iguana, but after reading what it takes to take care of one, I had to reconsider. Any book that can do that without being negative or harsh sounding deserves ten stars, in my opinion. If everyone considering an iguana read this book, there'd be a lot less homeless iguanas around...

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need and easy to read, Nov. 17 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Iguanas For Dummies (Paperback)
I first became acquainted with Melissa Kaplan through Loco for Lizards, a hilarious book about lizards' place in culture by Jim Cherry. She is interviewed in that book. Learning her personal story gave me a great deal of respect for her as a person and as a lizard expert. She knows her subject with absolutely through and through and writes in a way that easily and breezily conveys that knowledge. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Helpful, Nov. 9 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Iguanas For Dummies (Paperback)
I found this book to be amazingly well-researched. If ever there was an author who knows her subject this is it. Writing simply without dumbing down she guides the reader through the stuff you really need to know. There's a fascinating interview with Melissa Kaplan in Loco for Lizards by Jim Cherry, a very funny book that's also very informative about lizard basics that incorporates a humorous appraach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melissa is THE expert on this topic..., July 12 2001
This review is from: Iguanas For Dummies (Paperback)
For years, internet users who had iguana questions turned to Melissa Kaplan for information. She gave honest, straightforward answers that were completely accurate. I'm delighted that she has decided to publish her trusted knowledge in print. This is the only iguana information book you'll ever need...

Iguanas For Dummies
Iguanas For Dummies by Melissa Kaplan (Paperback - Aug. 15 2000)
CDN$ 25.99 CDN$ 24.69