5.0 out of 5 stars Never Expected it to Be This Good....., March 27 2004
Julie Jordan Scott "Writer, Life Coach - Owne... (Bakersfield, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
Poetry for Dummies was another of those books I was really hoping I didn't like. The whole "For Dummies" series gets on my nerves to begin with, so it is double trouble when I picked this title up and found it valuable on so many counts.
The opening section: Poetry 101 is an excellent read and in and of itself makes the book worth the purchase.
Each chapter clearly marks the intent across the top and is chock filled with check lists, hints and suggestions for the reader AND the practicing (new and old alike) poet. I was thinking, "This will all be old hat, I am sure" until I saw the authors include the staff from The Poetry Center in San Francisco.
What poet or poet-in-the-making doesn't nod, smile and point when we read this affirmation? "Poetry has more meaning, music and emotion per words, per syllable, per letter than any other kind of writing." (I could have sworn I heard an "Amen!" from the crowd or maybe... that was me.)
The book also includes some very valuable appendices with websites and poetry organizations.
Excellent resource for all poets and the people who love them. Check this one out.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish this had been my course textbook!!, Feb. 19 2007
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
I am a University student studying to get my Bachelor of Arts degree in English, so I have had to do a bit of studying on Poetry. In my Criticism course there was a large section devoted to poetics, and as hard as I tried, I just did not understand it all...it was NOT sinking in. I read the course notes and listened to my lectures, but it wasn't sinking in. So, I got this book...and boy did it help!! It broke down all the concepts into easily understandable venacular, and FINALLY >>> I got it!! I don't think that I could have passed my course without it! I really wish they would make it one of the course textbooks, and in fact when they asked for comments on the course, I suggested it :) I don't understand why things have to be so difficult when there are books like these out there...learning should be enjoyable, and this book really helped to make that happen for me :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplifying the Obscure in Poetry, Dec 30 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
Poetry For Dummies is the first book of its kind to be readable, sensible and understandable. For the novice or the more proficient, it is a great source book. Lots of innovative ideas and suggestions as well as rock solid poetic info! The college course I took in Creative Poetry (an upper division course!) didn't give me the easy access and insight that this book did.
Guess I qualify as a "Dummie!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Feb. 7 2014
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
I was a bit skeptical about this book before I bought it but I'm really getting a lot out of it. I don't know anything at all about poetry prior to buying this but it really walks you through it in a way that is interesting and easy to follow. A good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry for Dummies-even me, Sept. 6 2009
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
Of all the poetry books which offer to help you understand and find your own poetic Muse this book stands alone as the Best of all. Perhaps some might say that this is a lot of praise but I still have my dog eared copy and I have poured over it constantly to glean nuggets of inspiration when the old Writer's Block came knocking at my soul. I have mentioned this book to others to buy or loan out from their library-hopefully they followed my advice and have bought their own copy as well-Buy this book-if you ever honestly want one book to help you in writing poetry then get your hands on this book

Poetry For Dummies
Poetry For Dummies by John Timpane (Paperback - May 15 2001)
CDN$ 23.99 CDN$ 12.00