Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

Turtles & Tortoises For DummiesÂ
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$13.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star)show all reviews
on March 17, 2004
I purchased this book thinking (hoping) it would be the excellent source of information it is advertised to be; it is not.
I am very experienced in keeping all kinds of companion animals. As a rule, when I think I might want to add a new species to my household, I research the critter in question with great care. I purchased this book prior to getting my first tortoise. At the same time, I began researching my chosen species on the internet. Based upon what I have learned on the net and in speaking with tortoise keepers & breeders via e-mail/telephone and in person at "reptile expos", the information in this book is at best dated and over simplified and at worst may be dangerous to your pet.
The kindest thing I can say about this book is that it is poorly organized. This alone makes it difficult to formulate an understanding of tortoise culture. Further, the author often contradicts herself, causing the reader to question whether they are misunderstanding the text as they go.
Turtles and torts are highly specialized - they do not adapt to us as dogs or cats do. We MUST adapt to them and fulfill their very specific needs completely. Please research your chosen species very carefully before you purchase a turtle or tort!
If you simply must buy this book, please do not use it as your only or best source of info.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on June 17, 2004
Given that this book is obviously aimed at the beginner it would make sense for the book to offer decent info for commonly available species; mud and musk turtles, painted turtles, cooters, sliders, maybe Russian and Greek tortises, salcuttas, and some others. However, it doesn't.
The book focuses an insane amount on the large, expensive (often over 1,000US), rare-in-captivity tortises like the Galapagos and aldabra tortise, which are exactly what the novice keeper wont' likely be buying. The common, affordable, and easier to keep turtles and tortises are given short shrift in this book. They may get a line or two, but that's about it.
Furthermore, what information is given seems suspect; reccomended cage sizes tend to be on the small side, temps can be off, as can humidity. It's really not worth having--I threw my copy away.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again