5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a book that is really in depth
After reading several pet loss books, this was the first that really helped me understand the absolute devastation I was experiencing over loss of my beloved companions.
Published on May 28 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars cold
I felt the author was too distant in his discussions and I didn't get what I needed from this book.
Published on July 27 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars cold, July 27 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...., Jan. 9 2000
By A Customer
I have read many, many books on pet bereavement and loss and I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with Mr. Sife's book. It reads like a monotonous textbook and lacks feeling. I've read other pet bereavement books where warmth and understanding are felt, right from page one, but this book is not like that. There are other pet bereavement books out there that are much more helpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Was Needing, May 27 2004
After the death of our beloved dog-child Ruffy, this was the only book on pet grief I could find at my bookstore. My heart was, and still is,bleeding and I took it home and devoured it in a matter of days. It is written more to those who counsel the grieving in my opinion and did not minister to my pain. It is too technical and black and white. I felt it left out heartfelt emotion and soul. I am still searching for a book to touch my heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very clinical, June 30 2003
"mvpardo" (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I have to admit that this is one of the better books out there on pet loss however it is very clinical. When you're in a bunch of pain that clinical tone is a bit too impersonal and doesn't convey a whole lot of empathy. In fact the book contains several examples of case studies of pet owners who were too attached to their pets and needed counseling. The part that was the most helpful to me was the suggestions on what to do to feel better, there's a list offered towards the end of the book. One suggestion was writing down remote memories that seem to surge in the days immediately after the death of your pet. The chapter on feeling angry was a good kick in the pants. It's a good book but it has more of a tough love approach. I didn't feel a whole lot of comfort reading it but it did have some solid suggestions that helped. It's kind of practical. It is very informational talks about a lot of issues and practical stuff like pet cemetaries, counseling, etc. Author does have a few soap boxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a book that is really in depth, May 28 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comforting and helpful, Feb. 1 2003
By A Customer
Excellent book for people who have recently lost a pet. I found it extremely comforting in a time of extreme sorrow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too clinical; not enough heart, April 15 2002
By A Customer
Having recently lost a dog of my own, several people suggested reading Dr. Sife's book. I wish I could say it helped, but the approach is far too clinical and distant. This reads like a standard psychology textbook. More examples and case studies would have helped the author make his points. He does sound sincere, but way too detached for me. I found "Goodbye Friend" to be a much better book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, Oct. 19 2001
By A Customer
Provided comfort and support after I lost my beloved golden retriever. Highly recommend for anyone who has lost/or is losing a beloved pet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Help with the Grief, Oct. 8 2001
Three weeks ago, we lost our 8-year old Boxer, Taylor, to Lymphosarcoma. We took her to the very best Oncologists(several of them), spent thousands of dollars in trying to keep her with us for as long as possible, but in the end we knew it was time for us to let go.
Not having children, the pain of losing such a loving animal was beyond my expectation of grief. When I researched the list of books on pet loss, I was looking for facts on how to deal with this agony and pain. Dr. Sife's introduction and chapters on this subject matter was a validation that what me and my husband were feeling and going through were normal.
Dr. Sife's case histories throughout the book were very helpful in applying what other people have experienced and what we were going through.
For anyone who has recently lost a pet and is looking for some insight on the feelings they are experiencing, I highly recommend this book. He is very factual. If you are looking for a spiritual or religious aspect, this is not the book. Although Dr. Sife does touch on this subject in a chapter, the basis for the book is the psychological aspects of losing a member of your family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting, Sept. 5 2001
B. Lewis (Oceanside, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Worthwhile purchase. This book deals more with facts than with "hopes of seeing our pets again in some afterworld". If you're looking for that kind of help, don't buy this book. However, if you're looking for a very comforting work on dealing with the emotions and understanding your feelings during this time of loss, this is a wonderful book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Loss of a Pet
The Loss of a Pet by Wallace Sife (Paperback - Sept. 1 2005)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 13.34