5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best Chess book.
Published on May 30 2003 by Gaetan Lion

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the FIRST TIME Player: But Not the Best
James Eade is a very solid chess player and a great teacher. I have played him three times in the US Open, and I have kibitzed with him a few times. Eade has a great knowledge of the game of chess, and that was why I was suprised that his beginners book on chess was far less than great.
This book, although acceptable for beginners, is inferior to the Complete...
Published on May 18 2002 by IM J. Callahan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best Chess book., May 30 2003
Gaetan Lion - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
A few years ago, I took up Chess. I was looking for a book to upgrade my skill level. I browsed for hours if not days in bookstores in the hope of finding a Chess book I could actually read. You will note that Chess books are written in a strange cryptic language that make the Greek used in PhD level math look like kindergarden blocks by comparison. Finally, after a lot of research I came accross Chess for Dummies.
This is the Chess book you can actually understand, and quickly learn from. You improve your skills by learning a key set of strategies that apply at all levels of the game. Unlike other books, you don't need to memorize the 100 most famous Russian Chess matches before you can play descent Chess.
This book took me as far as I cared to go. I found myself playing descent Chess in rather competitive environments such as the most advanced rooms of online Chess websites, and playing blitzkrieg Chess in public plazas reserved almost exclusively for Chess geeks.
I have since quit Chess. But, I am sure I will pick up the game again. When I do, I will certainly review the Chess for Dummies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the FIRST TIME Player: But Not the Best, May 18 2002
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
This book, although acceptable for beginners, is inferior to the Complete Idiot's series on the game. Eade only touches extremely basic principles, and neglects important subjects such as tactics.
Do not buy this book if you have the option of buying Wolff's book- and definentely do not waste your money buying both of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, but that's it., Dec 14 2000
Smaug "Jeremy" (Round Lake Beach, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is good for the absolute beginner. Someone who doesn't even know how the pieces move. There are several chapters dedicated to how the pieces are allowed to move. There are no good chapters on Chess strategy. If you want the basics AND strategy, check out the book "The Complete Idiots Guide to Chess". It's much better overall. One great thing about this book: you don't need a chess set to follow along, nor do you need to know any sort of chess notation. Every lesson has diagrams so you can follow the lessons with JUST THE BOOK! I'm at the point in my chess career where I'm reading higher-level books, but I still reread this one in spare time occasionally. I also lend it to people who *might* be interested, or people who know the moves, but don't know how to implement them. This book is good because you can get through it in a few days, and be better off for it. Just realize that it is aimed at beginners and you won't go wrong with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, Sept. 3 2001
samuel (newport news va) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
this book is OK but i dont like the lack of puzzles. a better book is The Complete Idiots Guide To Chess

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good introduction and more..., March 7 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
After completing another introductory chess book I started to read chess for dummies and find it very explanatory. I especially like the fact that the reader is presented the essential chess terms one by one

5.0 out of 5 stars Chess For Dummies helps me a lot!, Aug. 7 2007
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
This is, by far, one of the most comprehensive Chess Manual books I've ever read! All the basic and advanced moves are shown in here, as well as some very good strategies and tactics. On top of that, it also shows great websites and matches about chess!

I'd definitely love to recommend it to all the chess players around the world, because it helps me a lot in improvement!

Thanks, bye!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good chess book, Jan. 14 2004
Mariano Rivera "elguapotoo" (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
362 pages of what!?? I wonder...If you really dont know how to play chess any chess set you buy, like at wal-mart, will have instructions on how to move the pieces. For places to play online I recomend you do a search online and you will find sites like yahoo chess and ICC which are both popular forums. That about takes care of the 362 pages of chess for dummies.
If you are serious about improving your chess there are far better books for beginners. I would recomend books like Winning Chess (volumes) by Seirawan and How to reasses your chess. Trust me, this book will do little more than teach you to move the pieces.

2.0 out of 5 stars Will not teach you chess so what's the point?, Dec 30 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
Sure this book will teach you chess etiquette, how the pieces move, some famous chess players name and other such rubbish but very little will actually focus on strategy, tactics, and essentially how to win. I do not recommend this to anyone besides those who have never ever played before. It simply is worthless to those who have the basics down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, Sept. 17 2010
S. Lavigne (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
I am a very casual chess player (I play 1 or 2 times a year). I will also sometimes try to play against a computer, but I get crushed all the time. I have purchased this book not necessarily because I intend to play chess more often, but more out of curiosity. I wanted to see if I - with a few tips - could beat a computer playing on beginner settings.

Keeping in mind that I totally qualify as a chess "dummy", here are my comments on this book:

* The author does not teach you how to play chess from scratch; you need to have basic knowledge of the game to understand the topics covered by this book. That being said, the author does emphasis on a few rules that are generally not well understood by beginners, such as castling.

* The author gives simple explanations on how to approach the game (concepts of advantage of space and material). This was totally new to me.

* The author also introduces and comments on the more common openings in a chess game. This was the section I was looking forward to as I generally do not know how to start. I find however that, although the book has helped me in that regard, it could have helped me more. The reason is that the author will generally show and explain the right move in a given situation, but he does not explain why another logical move (or at least another move that seems logical to a beginner) is not appropriate.

* As a downside, the author puts too much emphasis on openings for the player that plays with the white pieces. He provides only sparse comments on strategies when playing black.

I have enjoyed reading this book more than I expected. It is very well written. I doubt however that more experienced players will find in this book what they are looking for.

P.S. For the record, after I have read this book, I am now able to beat a computer playing on beginner settings 50% of the time. Clearly this book will help a dummy improving his game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Idiots and Dummies have been bested in beginners manuals, Jan. 31 2003
This review is from: Chess For Dummies (Paperback)
I was a below average player at best and I went out searching for a guide that could do much more for me than just start me off but could lead me down the path to understand the complicated chess literature. Being an avid reader and wanting to understand the game, I went through both of these books before I picked up the Best beginners guide around, "Alpha Teach Yourself Chess (in 24 hours)". Polgar, Truong and Horvitz put together the best introductory book you can find for the game of chess.
If you've never played, or if you just started and want to learn a little more this is the best book on the market.
The only questionable part of the book is the pro-Polgar twist it throws into some of the lessons, but the bright side to this is the ability to attract more female players to the game of chess.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Chess For Dummies
Chess For Dummies by James Eade (Paperback - Sept. 2 2005)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.40