4.0 out of 5 stars Guitar for Dummies
I was pleased with this item but still haven't used it too much. I would certainly recommend it to others.
Published 13 months ago by Frank Walsh

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the visual learner
Well this must be a decent book, with all the praise it receives; however it didn't do much for me when I began playing guitar. I only had this to learn from, and I gave up guitar in frustration.
Published on May 24 2003 by Timothy Lee Young

4.0 out of 5 stars Guitar for Dummies, June 19 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory, Sept. 10 2012
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
This was a re-purchase for me as we gave my husband's original copy to our daughter to take home. The one drawback is that it didn't come with the separate (but included in our previous purchase) song book and the perforated removable quick reference card. Lots of good info about the basics and purchasing and caring for your guitar.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the visual learner, May 24 2003
Timothy Lee Young (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
I just got the ambition to try guitar again, but this time I bought eMedia Guitar Method computer software, and I've gotten farther in two days with that than I did the two weeks with Guitar for Dummies book.
It seems they do have a Guitar for Dummies DVD out with instruction, that probably would be something you'd want to get in conjunction with this book to help you learn better.
I believe that this book cannot stand on it's own as a good learning tool for the beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars By far, the best guitar overview., March 24 2003
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a great guitar overview but I'm puzzled that so many beginners rate this so highly. I started with Ernie Ball method books and can't imagine using this particular book as a single substitute. For example, unless you're a natural, you're not going to go from playing in open position to playing in other positions in one paragraph. I think the best package for beginners would be this book AND a progressive method AND some lessons.
If you are an intermediate player, you can enjoy reviewing things in this text that you've already learned as well as getting quick concise information about particulars, be it string bends, double double stops, power chords, or whatever.
This book is a great buy as it saves you from acquiring a whole shelf of guitar books to find out all there is to explore. Once you find a particular topic of interest, seek out a more specialized book.
The CD is unbeatable as you can immediately associate what you hear in different types of music with the musical notation.
If you're a Rock bigot, note that there is a Rock Guitar version. However, this one is my favorite. If you're going to be a rolling stone, you gotta be well rounded, right?

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it works..., Jan. 15 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
...if you're willing to put in the months or years of hard work required to learn any instrument. No teacher or book will make learning the guitar a snap, but they can certainly help, as this book sure does. I started with Guitar for Dummies and primarily relied on it alone for quite some time. It really does serve as a useful, fun foundation for various styles. It's a good reference for basic guitar repairs and maintenance too.
Through a lot of study and practice, and later with the help of other books (but not a teacher), I've progressed in about a year and a half to where I can play the rhythm parts and some lead lines of more than a few rock songs (AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Weezer, Iced Earth, Megadeth, The Cure, etc.), do some basic blues improv, play passable fingerstyle acoustic, write some of my own tunes and riffs, transcribe tunes by ear, etc. In other words, if you're a total guitar newbie, have hope: you can learn on your own with lots of hard work, a good ear, and good books such as this one. When you first learn how to play along with one of your favorite songs, all the sweat and tears will seem worth it.
My only complaint about Guitar for Dummies is that it neglects jazz guitar, but that's understandable since jazz quickly gets extremely complicated on a theoretical level--not exactly beginner's material. Most beginners want to learn power chords, not the intricacies of improvised reharmonization. Jazz is America's greatest contribution to the music world, though, so it would have been nice to see at least a brief chapter.
(If you mainly want to play rock, make sure to check out Rock Guitar for Dummies after you've progressed a bit with this book. Also, almost any guitarist, regardless of stylistic preference or experience level, can benefit from Troy Stetina's classic Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, Dec 21 2008
Pasquale Vari "Celestial" (Montreal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
When I decided to finally pick up the guitar I did 2 things, first I bought myself a guitar and second I purchased the Guitar for Dummies book. I had no clue what I was doing, this book was completely incomprehensable to me and as a result I picked up many bad habits early on. I decided to put this book down and take guitar lessons instead. What a great choice, my poor habits were corrected and I was progressing forward in my playing at a pretty constant rate. Only after a year and a half did I decide to open this book up again. To my surprise it was actually really useful. It filled in the gaps that I thought were missing from my lessons, it elaborated on recently learned information and it had excellent exercises to reinforce what I had already learned. All in all, this book is actually not for beginners at all, at best it makes for a good reference book. Once you have a pretty basic understanding of the guitar, this book actually becomes very useful. I'm still using it now and it is a great help, it's giving me direction and I actually notice an improvement in my playing. I would definitely recommend this book for someone with at least 2 years of guitar lessons under their belt. For everyone else, there are much better books than this for beginners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, April 2 2004
C. Fletcher (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
Not a bad intro into the wonderful world of guitar playing, this book gives you the basics about which guitar's right for you, how to put strings on it, and how to getting sounding halfway decent.

GUITAR FOR DUMMIES is not, by any stretch, a comprehensive how-to, but definitely a clear and uncomplicated place to get started. Most important is that you get started, because playing the guitar is one of the most fun and rewarding thing you can do with your hands and not feel too guilty about.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good overview for beginners, June 18 2004
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a very good overview for beginners. The word "overview" should be emphasized: I wouldn't recommend that anyone make it his ONLY book for very long. On the other hand, you don't have to be an ABSOLUTE to beginner to get something, quite a lot, actually, out of this book. (Intermediate and advanced players might care to look into something like Ron Rendek's "We Gather Together", for example, instead.)

4.0 out of 5 stars I always wanted to study music..., June 8 2004
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
I always wanted to study music, but I was highly encouraged to get my degree in something "sensible" by my family. So I became an avid music supporter. Going to gigs, concerts everything. Well, for my birthday my husband bought me 3 things: an accoustic guitar, Voice Lessons TO GO by Vaccarino (singing lessons on CD), and Guitar for dummies. Needless to say, they were awesome gifts. Everyday I get a little better, and feel that much more in tough with the music I oh so love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to learn guitar with some humor, April 24 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
Absoulutely amazing I'm just starting and I had fun right away!
Theres humor too to keep you chuckling even though you are growing calluses on you left hand. After reading this book I have wanted other books by this series. There is soooooo many!
Have Fun!

Guitar For Dummies
Guitar For Dummies by Jon Chappell (Paperback - Oct. 14 2005)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.16