5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It
this book was a chance purchase but I would buy it all over again...its strange and wonderful unique story
Published on Aug. 31 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Characters With Real Potential; Falls Flat
This is not Carroll's best work. Though packed with rich real characters and vivid surreal but somehow true situations that are the hallmark of Carroll's work, the book promises much more than it eventually delivers. If you must read it, consider stopping before the final chapters, otherwise try the Teeth of Angels or The Land of Laughs.
Published on Nov. 20 2003 by Orome

1.0 out of 5 stars What is so great about this book?, July 18 2004
This review is from: The Wooden Sea: A Novel (Paperback)
I can't imagine what the other reviewers like so much about this book. I was so glad when I finally finished it. I had no idea what it would be about and didn't know anything about Jonathan Carroll. This book was a complete waste of time. It's silly, boring, and meaningless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Foontageegee, June 7 2004
This review is from: The Wooden Sea: A Novel (Paperback)
Yes, that's right, foontageegee. I finished this book Friday evening, then re-read it on Sunday. Then I emailed the author.
Frannie McCabe is a briliantly written protaganist. As a small-town police cheif in his forties, he is mellow and happy. Young Frannie, however, is hell-on-wheels. The boy Frannie is sneaky and adventurous. And we meet them all in the period of a week.
All of the Frannie's have a single purpose--to save the world. The problem is, they don't know how.
Jonathan Carroll has written a rollicking good time that leaves you wanting more. This was the first of his books that I had read, and I will read more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wooden mind reading more Carroll, March 9 2004
Jan Roelofs "bibliophile" (Miami) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wooden Sea: A Novel (Paperback)
Thanks to Amazon's You may also like... I picked up this one, and now I think I have a new favorite author. This is a truly creative book with wonderful characters and a convoluted but engaging plot. Man takes in three legged dog. Dog dies but refuses to stay buried or dead. Man talks to aliens, time-travels, changes his life, and sees the Beatles. Tears, surprises, and just the right amout of hilarity thrown in. I'm glad Carroll has written so many, I won't have to wait to read his next one.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Emperor Has No Clothes, Feb. 9 2004
This review is from: The Wooden Sea: A Novel (Paperback)
I was speechless when I found out that this novel, which starts out as an intriguing, surreal mystery, devolves steadily into an ending which is both idiotic (space aliens and God) and disgustingly sweet in its moral (appreciate life at every stage of your growth). Carroll is supposed to be this great fantasy writer who has a cult following. All I can say is, keep them away from me! Too bad a writer with Carroll's talent has written such a convoluted stinker. I plan to avoid all of his other work like the plague!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Characters With Real Potential; Falls Flat, Nov. 20 2003
Orome "Aldaron" (Lexington, MA USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It, Aug. 31 2003
This review is from: The Wooden Sea: A Novel (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet by author--memorable characters, laugh out loud, Aug. 1 2003
Royal "RoyalEF" (New Rochelle, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wooden Sea, The (Hardcover)
This is the best JC novel yet for me. Bones of the Moon had been my former favorite(and first by JC for me). I have always found his prose entertaining and fast. Dean Koontz's writing has a similar comfortable voice that moves along. His books are shorter and more terse than most writers. His prose isn't flowery. I find his romantic inclusions in his stories to be entertaining, real, not gushy.
Top of my list in this book is that Frannie McCabe is a great character. He is memorable, very real, distinct, likable. His talk and attitude actually made me laugh out loud at some quips--something books never manage to do for me--despite loving comedy in movies and tv.
I have read about 5 of JC's books and with this book I realized that he is not merely reusing people or place names from book to book but that there is some story building...a pantheon of characters and places. There is a larger story being told through many novels.
Despite playing with a concept (I will not reveal) that I feel has been used to death, especially in SciFi, I still enjoyed the treatment. I was worried at one point that it would just be another of those stories. I was only disappointed the that book ended... I wanted more.

3.0 out of 5 stars mayberry mystique, July 24 2003
This review is from: The Wooden Sea: A Novel (Paperback)
This is the first Jonathan Carroll title I've ever read. I won't go into describing the plot, you can get that from the many reviews this book has already accumulated. I must admit, this book is inconsistent, there are times I had a very difficult time putting it down. Yet, other times, I literally dreaded picking up the book. I'm still processing my first experience of Carroll. I'm somewhat disappointed, and left wondering about too many loose ends, but I'm still willing to give him a another try because I can see the wonderful traits of an excellent author. I know from reading other reviews, Carroll is obviously very much loved by his fans and I do not wish to 'dog' him and I would very much like to see the side of his style that is so amazing. I do believe that this book is probably not the best of the list, nor is it the best one to begin reading for a first Carroll novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Book, Jan. 11 2003
This review is from: The Wooden Sea: A Novel (Paperback)
I can sum up "The Wooden Sea", by Jonathan Carroll, in one, quick statement: Absolutely the best book that I have ever read. Through all 300 odd pages I was as intrigued, compelled, and astounded as I was when I first began the story at a Borders cafe.
To begin with, I hadn't read a Jon Carroll book in a long time and upon seeing advertisements for his North American tour--posted on Neil Gaiman's (another favorite author! read him!) online journal--imediately began reminiscing about his older books. Since I am only fifteen years old, and he was not coming to my town, I gave my sister a ring--whose city would house Mr. Carroll for one evening--and politely asked her if she could get me an autograph of his latest book. Of course, being a good sister, she complied and on November 14 got my copy of "White Apples" signed.
Knowing I had a book signed by him, my interest in Jonathan Carroll was renewed doubly. And on one of my usual bookstore visits, I came across "The Wooden Sea". I decided to give it a read over a cup of coffee. Though the coffee I had ordered tasted unusualy delicious, it surely was not as delicious as the book I had begun to read. Jonathan draws you so tightly into this story and all the characters that I felt that I was Frannie McCabe--the main character-- and that I was experiencing all the uncanny madness that he was. Jonathan also does such an incredible job of making this fantastical story--which some authors could not--believable.
Reading this book is like staring at a Salvidor Dali painting. The scene is so surreal and flat out strange that you know none of this could ever happen, but Jonathan succeeds enormously in making you, in the far reaches of the back of your mind, ask: What if?
This is my favorite book of all time and I will treasure the magic that Jonathan Carroll has given me til the day they lock shut my coffin. I HIGHLY reccomend "The Wooden Sea"--along with the almost-equally good "White Apples"--to anyone who knows how to read. You won't regret reading this book.
-Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Full of sound and fury, Jan. 3 2003
Garth Snyder (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wooden Sea: A Novel (Paperback)
Carroll piles on layers of intriguing mysteries, but the puzzle pieces never ultimately come together. This is a fun and well-written book, but it's better at the micro scale than the macro; the overall structure is shapeless and half-baked. Don't expect answers.

The Wooden Sea: A Novel
The Wooden Sea: A Novel by Jonathan Carroll (Paperback - Feb. 9 2002)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 14.40