5.0 out of 5 stars Someplace I want to fly!
Published on June 2 2000 by judithb

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressed so far
Published on May 15 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Quietly absorbing, Sept. 24 2005
M. Jones "lightning" (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This is the first time I have ventured into the world of Charles DeLint, who has a staggering 5 books in the Modern Libraries' top 100 novels of the century, as voted by the readers, not the critics. Since I am in the process of reading the novels on that list, I am glad that my first reading of a DeLint book was a positive experience, since I have another four to go.
The story opens with a riveting scene of a man spotting a woman being attacked by a man on the side of the road. Hank, the bystander, gets out of his vehicle in hopes that he might be able to put an end to the violence. Caught by surprise, the attacker stops attacking the woman and points his gun at Hank. The attacker shoots Hank in the shoulder.. It looks as if he is done for until two girls swoop down from the trees and one of them stabs the attacker, killing him instantly. One of the girls kisses Hank on the shoulder and his wound disappears. They do the same to the woman who was attacked, her pain evaporating as well. As soon as the two are healing, the mysterious two girls vanish into the night.
After such a charged opening, I was curious if DeLint had the power to evoke these feelings of awe throughout the entire novel. For the most part, he succeeds. The novel is about a wide variety of characters, all of which have some "animal blood" inside of them. Apparently the world is filled with humans and so called animal people. We have the Cuckoos, the Crow Girls, a Jackdawn, a Raven, and other forms of people that can shed their skins and become animals if they please.
The world was supposedly created by the animal people but over the years they have become less in number, even though some species of them can live forever. Now, a battle is brewing in the world of the animals. Someplace to be Flying is classified as urban fantasy. Although the book contains some interesting "human" characters, the book is mainly focused on this battle that has been brewing for centuries.
In a book like this, DeLint seems to be more concerned about atmosphere and characters than the actual plot and story. After the charged beginning, the book wanders into a level of getting us absorbed in the lives of these people. Many interesting and believable characters are sketched out with great detail and it really feels as if we get to know them all in a very personal way before the story is complete. Some of the dialogue works and sometimes it doesn't, but I appreciate the effort DeLint appears to have shown forth in creating something a little more meaningful than your average fantasy novel.
Is Someplace to be Flying as creative as works such as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings? No, not by any means, but DeLint has a fascinating writing style and prose that never left me feeling bored, even though most the novel is buildup rather than delivery. The payoff isn't mind blowing, but it works in its own quiet, absorbing way.
Like all fantasy novels, this is a story of the impossible, and atmosphere is everything. DeLint will not disappoint you in this aspect. I love how most of the novel is told in the shadows and at night. It gives the reader a feeling of mystery and wonder that it couldn't have gained otherwise.
If you don't like fantasy, then perhaps DeLint might not be your best place to start because you need to have some patience and appreciation for the images and characters he creates. Either you will fall in love or respect and admire the land he has created or you won't. Someplace to be Flying isn't about cheap thrills, energy rushes, or eye candy, but it is, for the patient reader, a treat of atmosphere, character development, and rapture that I appreciated. I look forward to visiting the world of DeLint again in the near future.
Grade: B+

5.0 out of 5 stars Someplace I want to fly!, June 2 2000
This review is from: Someplace to be Flying (Hardcover)
One of life's greatest pleasures (aside from Belgian chocolates, and these two are best indulged in together!) is tracking down, then opening a Charles de Lint book for the first time. Just reading the acknowledgements sets the scene for the feast of reading waiting and the eclectic quotes and lyrics preceding the story make me wish I had a better knowledge and appreciation of those sources.
When Hank's attempt to rescue Lily from a vicious attacker turns to disaster, the intervention of a pair of almost identical "punky" girls sees the attacker killed, Hank and Lily's injuries miraculously healed, and both of them curiously calm and undisturbed by the experience. But they both realise their home town has whole other layers that each had hardly glimpsed before. Were Jack Daw's stories more than that? Separately and together, they peel back those layers to the very beginning, realising along the way that not everyone is as they seem and 'family' is not necessarily something you're born into.
Charles de Lint makes you believe in a world your rational mind never considered, but for which your soul secretly yearns. His characters are so well defined that, no matter how unique their origins, you feel you would recognise them in a room of strangers. But with the Crow Girls, de Lint's genius for characterisation goes beyond excellence. Try reading their dialogue aloud!
Don't plan on getting much sleep until you turn the last page. Even then, the story might have been told, but the experience will go on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressed so far, May 15 1999
By A Customer
I usually wait to finish a book before reviewing it, but I feel like venting right now so here goes. When I read a book, I pay attention to details and get a bit ill when things don't add up. And this book contains one glaring error right from the start. (An error to me at least because it makes no sense.) The whole thing with Lily going downtown to haunt the alleys looking for animal people. After she gets home, she is thinking about how she prowled for hours before the assault, "feeling like a cat, invisible." Invisible, huh. At the time Hank found her, she was described as wearing a knee-length black skirt and a pale rose SILK jacket. Real invisible. Who the hell goes sculking around back alleys at night in a skirt and a pink silk jacket? And why does she tell her friends about it if she doesn't want to talk about it? "Hey, thought you might like to know I got mugged last night, but DON'T ask me any questions about it." I expect better from de Lint. I thought "Trader" was great, the first three-quarters of it anyway. The last quarter of the book? Well, you know how goofy de Lint gets when he ventures off into the netheregions. His ideas and thoughts on the "otherworld" are always more interesting than his actual depiction of it. It would be nice if he would write a book that "talked" about it without ever actually going there. Bringing the character Bones (from Trader) back would be a good place to start. So I give this book 3 stars for now. We shall see if that initial impression slides up or down or remains the same. Adios.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to meet the Crow Girls., March 16 2002
I resisted reading something by Charles de Lint for a long time after one negative review from a friend. Finally, I decided to get a book by him one day just to take a look.
I am so glad I did. This was an amazing book, and by far my favorite urban fantasy. I haven't read much in this genre before, but I certaintly plan to now, as well as read more books by de Lint. The characters were great; there's no way you can get through it without loving Zia and Maida (or laughing out loud at their dialogues), and many of the other characters. While at points, especially toward the end, the plot thinned some, and turned just a bit too much into your typical 'let's go save the world from ultimate evil and make everything good' fantasy, the characters and the great background of _Someplace to be Flying's_ world carried it through. All fantasy lovers, even those who normally stick to a less modern type, should read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely delightful!, Aug. 22 1999
This review is from: Someplace to be Flying (Hardcover)
I've only been a fan of Mr. de Lint's works for less than a year (Ah, the shame!) but I've done my best to make up for that. I have most of the books that are readily available in the bookstores, plus some harder to find ones such as Svaha, Riddle of the Wren, and The Wild Wood. His storytelling is absolutely wonderful.
Someplace To Be Flying is one of my favorites - the Crow Girls are a hoot and a half!
His tales have made me look at things a bit differently. Faeries and otherwordly creatures no longer live solely in the deep, dark wood... they've made their way into our cities...
By now it's bound to be obvious - his stories are always going to have somebody from the otherworlds, and I wouldn't like it any other way. If that's not something you like, you should steer clear of these books.... However, you really shouldn't. They are absolutely lovely!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite De Lint (so far)..., June 24 2003
George Heritier "gangofpour.com" (Oak Park, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Someplace to be Flying (Hardcover)
For me, this book has all of the strengths (the great ensemble cast, the mythological background, in this case, Native American, and of course, the power of the story itself), and almost none of the admittedly few weaknesses (dialogue tends to ramble a bit in some tales at times) of Charles De Lint.
And then, of course, there are the Crow Girls. Very, very!
There's a lot going on in this story (544 pages worth in the paperback edition), and it's all deliciously satisfying for this reader. In particular, Jack Daw walking into the nest of vermin that tortured and killed his beloved is one of the more compelling and unsettling descriptions of raw violence and vengeance that this reader has encountered from this author.
One of the very best examples of "urban mythology," and if you like that, or you even think you might like that, check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The magic of the Native American legends, the shapechangers,, March 17 1998
This review is from: Someplace to be Flying (Hardcover)
This book is undoubtedly one of Charles de Lint's best novels. It captures the magic and mythos of the Native American legends of the shapechangers and the animal people. He brings to life the ancient legends of Raven, Coyote, Fox, and Crow, through the characters of the mystical corbae; Raven, the engimatic keeper; Coyote, the Trickster who always tries to do good, but always fails; Fox, the canid who has to decides whether he wants to be Trickster's pawn; and the fun, but dangerous Crow Girls. And in the middle of the corbae, are the people that Coyote brought into this world, and whom the ancient enemies of the corbae will destroy to get what they want. The entire story is set in a city much like yours or mine, and could be unfolding at this very moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm packing my bags and moving to Newford!, June 7 2000
Animal People. The animal characters with human traits and god like powers that are part of the Native American mythology. They're just stories. They aren't real, are they. Are They? They are in Newford. And as they live out their myths sometimes innocent humans get caught in the cross-fire. Meet the Corvae; Jack (jackdaw), Maggie (magpie), Raven and the Crow Sisters as they try to keep the Trickster Coyote from finding Raven's Cauldron and "unmaking" the world. For the freelance photographer, the junk dealer, the 2-bit hustler, the college student and the rest it is both a fantastic adventure and a bloody nightmare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable - poignant, but uplifting., July 21 1999
By A Customer
I've been a de Lint fan for several years, my favorite being the Jack the Giant Killer stories. I thought this was a little different from most of his other works, in that it focused more on the Native American folklore. I was hooked from the beginning, and didn't want to put it down. I liked the intertwining of the characters and their storylines and the way that the stories were sometimes poignant and made me want to cry, but in the end, I felt uplifted and like I had been through a very satisfying experience. A must for any de Lint fan.
P.S. I love the Crow Girls! Read this to meet them if nothing else!

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful fantasy, with one annoying feature, Aug. 29 1999
By A Customer
I love de Lint's work, and really enjoy reading him. The thing I don't understand is why he rewards selfish characters (i.e. Katy), and why *her* betrayal and horrible behavior is never addressed. (WARNING *SPOILER*!) If someone's behavior had gotten ME locked up for over ten years, you can bet I'd never want to see them again either! Kerry's guilt just doesn't resonate. As for the rest of it, I loved the crow girls, Raven and Cody - especially loved the scenes with Cody and the cuckoos - but just can't get over that one flaw - or the final disposition of the ...err, film tin.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Someplace to Be Flying
Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de Lint (Paperback - Aug. 1 2005)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87