5.0 out of 5 stars it's easy to believe!
One of my all time favourite books. Charles brings the myths to life, yet the myths are not lost in the telling.
Published 5 months ago by J. Patrick Cox

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful fantasy, with one annoying feature
I love de Lint's work, and really enjoy reading him. The thing I don't understand is why he rewards selfish characters (i.e. Katy), and why *her* betrayal and horrible behavior is never addressed. (WARNING *SPOILER*!) If someone's behavior had gotten ME locked up for over ten years, you can bet I'd never want to see them again either! Kerry's guilt just doesn't...
Published on Aug. 30 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars it's easy to believe!, Nov. 12 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Fly Away Home, Dec 7 2008
Jamieson Villeneuve "Author at Large" (Ottawa Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Someplace to be Flying (Hardcover)
There is a myth that is as old as time. The world was created by Raven, the dark bird of mystery, as he stirred magic in an old black pot. The pot created more than the world: it created the Animal People, spirits as old as time itself. They are the First People and they roamed the land, able to change forms.

Out of the pot came the Blue Jay, the Wolf, and The Crow. There also came the Coyote, the Trickster. Always up to no good, he is the outcast of the First People. Most of his mischief is harmless, little tricks to amuse. But sometimes, he causes more trouble; enough trouble to slip through to our world.

Trouble starts when Lily, a photojournalist, goes looking for the famed "animal people" that are supposed to roam around Newford. One night while investigating the stories in a dark part of town known as the Tombs, a strange gray man attacks Lilly. Coming to her aid is Hank, no stranger to the Tombs and the rougher side of life.

He goes to her aid and the man attacks him as well. Lilly and Hank fight there attacker until something distracts him: two small girls who came from nowhere. They finish off the man with small switchblades that fell from their sleeves and Hank and Lilly are left stunned.

Tending to their wounds, pain disappearing at their touch, the two Crow girls sing a soft song with a haunting melody: The cuckoo is a pretty bird, he sings as he flies. He sucks little birds' eggs, and then he just dies.

Dazed from the attack and the subsequent healing of two little girls, Hank and Lilly wander way, changed forever. They can now see the world of Fey, the world of the in between. Unbeknownst to them, they are now entangled in what will become a web of mysteries, a tryst. They have stumbled upon war.

There is murder in the darker underbelly to Newford than either could have imagined. They have stumbled upon the war of the Caenid against the Corboe: Bird against Dog. This is a war where no one is safe and the fate of both worlds will be affected. Hank and Lilly must learn to fight in order to save their lives and the life of others.

And so the story goes...

Charles De Lint has created a novel for the ages. "Someplace to Be Flying" is an incredible voyage through myth, through story, through dreams. This has remained among my favorite of De Lint's novels and perhaps one of his most eloquent. There is layer upon layer of story here and the only way to work your way through them is to become involved in the story.

More involving are all the types of myth within the story: Celtic, Native American to name just a couple. De Lint has managed to weave the story of many people and many different faiths into one whole work that just sings with magic. He has managed to create characters that you can really care about and a story that is part mystery, part myth and part comment on our time.

If you haven't read "Someplace to be Flying," you don't know what you're missing. From the moment the Crow Girls come into the story, you are drawn into a labyrinth of words and dreams. The only way out of the maze is to finish the book; but you may never be the same again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quietly absorbing, Sept. 24 2005
M. Jones "lightning" (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This is the first time I have ventured into the world of Charles DeLint, who has a staggering 5 books in the Modern Libraries' top 100 novels of the century, as voted by the readers, not the critics. Since I am in the process of reading the novels on that list, I am glad that my first reading of a DeLint book was a positive experience, since I have another four to go.
The story opens with a riveting scene of a man spotting a woman being attacked by a man on the side of the road. Hank, the bystander, gets out of his vehicle in hopes that he might be able to put an end to the violence. Caught by surprise, the attacker stops attacking the woman and points his gun at Hank. The attacker shoots Hank in the shoulder.. It looks as if he is done for until two girls swoop down from the trees and one of them stabs the attacker, killing him instantly. One of the girls kisses Hank on the shoulder and his wound disappears. They do the same to the woman who was attacked, her pain evaporating as well. As soon as the two are healing, the mysterious two girls vanish into the night.
After such a charged opening, I was curious if DeLint had the power to evoke these feelings of awe throughout the entire novel. For the most part, he succeeds. The novel is about a wide variety of characters, all of which have some "animal blood" inside of them. Apparently the world is filled with humans and so called animal people. We have the Cuckoos, the Crow Girls, a Jackdawn, a Raven, and other forms of people that can shed their skins and become animals if they please.
The world was supposedly created by the animal people but over the years they have become less in number, even though some species of them can live forever. Now, a battle is brewing in the world of the animals. Someplace to be Flying is classified as urban fantasy. Although the book contains some interesting "human" characters, the book is mainly focused on this battle that has been brewing for centuries.
In a book like this, DeLint seems to be more concerned about atmosphere and characters than the actual plot and story. After the charged beginning, the book wanders into a level of getting us absorbed in the lives of these people. Many interesting and believable characters are sketched out with great detail and it really feels as if we get to know them all in a very personal way before the story is complete. Some of the dialogue works and sometimes it doesn't, but I appreciate the effort DeLint appears to have shown forth in creating something a little more meaningful than your average fantasy novel.
Is Someplace to be Flying as creative as works such as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings? No, not by any means, but DeLint has a fascinating writing style and prose that never left me feeling bored, even though most the novel is buildup rather than delivery. The payoff isn't mind blowing, but it works in its own quiet, absorbing way.
Like all fantasy novels, this is a story of the impossible, and atmosphere is everything. DeLint will not disappoint you in this aspect. I love how most of the novel is told in the shadows and at night. It gives the reader a feeling of mystery and wonder that it couldn't have gained otherwise.
If you don't like fantasy, then perhaps DeLint might not be your best place to start because you need to have some patience and appreciation for the images and characters he creates. Either you will fall in love or respect and admire the land he has created or you won't. Someplace to be Flying isn't about cheap thrills, energy rushes, or eye candy, but it is, for the patient reader, a treat of atmosphere, character development, and rapture that I appreciated. I look forward to visiting the world of DeLint again in the near future.
Grade: B+

4.0 out of 5 stars Someplace to be Reading, Nov. 29 2003
Not as personally powerful to me as Memory & Dream, but DeLint again here does wonderfuls things with urban fantasy. He draws heavily on Native American beliefs, which is something I'd like to see more of in modern fantasy. His characters are great and well drawn, and Newford becomes more a place I want to visit every time I read about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite De Lint (so far)..., June 24 2003
George Heritier "gangofpour.com" (Oak Park, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Someplace to be Flying (Hardcover)
For me, this book has all of the strengths (the great ensemble cast, the mythological background, in this case, Native American, and of course, the power of the story itself), and almost none of the admittedly few weaknesses (dialogue tends to ramble a bit in some tales at times) of Charles De Lint.
And then, of course, there are the Crow Girls. Very, very!
There's a lot going on in this story (544 pages worth in the paperback edition), and it's all deliciously satisfying for this reader. In particular, Jack Daw walking into the nest of vermin that tortured and killed his beloved is one of the more compelling and unsettling descriptions of raw violence and vengeance that this reader has encountered from this author.
One of the very best examples of "urban mythology," and if you like that, or you even think you might like that, check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to meet the Crow Girls., March 16 2002
I resisted reading something by Charles de Lint for a long time after one negative review from a friend. Finally, I decided to get a book by him one day just to take a look.
I am so glad I did. This was an amazing book, and by far my favorite urban fantasy. I haven't read much in this genre before, but I certaintly plan to now, as well as read more books by de Lint. The characters were great; there's no way you can get through it without loving Zia and Maida (or laughing out loud at their dialogues), and many of the other characters. While at points, especially toward the end, the plot thinned some, and turned just a bit too much into your typical 'let's go save the world from ultimate evil and make everything good' fantasy, the characters and the great background of _Someplace to be Flying's_ world carried it through. All fantasy lovers, even those who normally stick to a less modern type, should read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanna fly?, Nov. 14 2001
Julia Rampke (Puget Sound, WA United States) - See all my reviews
As always, de Lint's work is full of magic, and "Someplace to Be Flying" is no exception. His characters jump off the page to meet you, grab you by the hand, and take you along... if you're lucky, you'll soon be flying. They'll show you things about the world, and yourself, that you never imagined could be true.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Book, March 7 2001
This wasn't the first urban fantasy I've ever read, but it's certainly one of the best. I won't bore you with a description of the plot- I'd never be able to do it justice. Just stop what you're doing, and go out and buy this book. Right Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, Dec 5 2000
Jenny (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
deLint's construction of Newford and the folk who live there are so entrancing that as soon as you open the book you are there. I never want to leave, which is why I read his Newford books over and over again. This latest edition to Newford mythology kept me enthralled - I couldn't put it down. And as soon as I finished it I wanted to start over again. This is by far the best deLint book I have read so far (and I have read most). Spellbinding!

5.0 out of 5 stars More magic..., Aug. 3 2000
This is my favorite book of Charles' as well as my favorite book-ever. I believe that there's a lot more truth to myth than one may think. I've read Someplace to be Flying twice and will read it many more times. Forget gurus and supposed enlightened teachers with "the" answer. Listen to the wisdom of the Animal People.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb04ab984)

Someplace to Be Flying
Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de Lint (Paperback - Aug. 1 2005)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87