5.0 out of 5 stars The End of Eternity Works on Many Levels, Nov. 25 1999
The End of Eternity is a remarkable novel. To begin with, it's Asimov at his best. Except for minor lags when he pauses the story to give lots of background information, it's a pageturner. It's also not only a love story, it's the only one of his novels I recall where he has a number of love scenes. Something that I thought was a mistake - the love interest Noys seemed to only be that, suddenly changes in the final pages when you realize who she really is and what she is doing. It's Asimov at his misleading best. You see what's happening through the eyes of Andrew Harlan, which means that your view of what's going on keeps changing. Then, underlying the story is a whole other level of theological meaning. I don't know if Asimov intended this or not, but essentially the novel, without ever mentioning religion, deals with the old question of why doesn't God intervene to prevent evil. The novel shows a universe in which men acting like gods are intervening constantly to make the universe a better place. Asimov shows the logical consequences, what a true horror that world would end up being.

5.0 out of 5 stars A goodie from Asimov, July 28 1999
John Domby (UNC Chapel Hill, NC) - See all my reviews
This book is almost the paragon of Asimov's earlier science fiction. Critics blow nonesense about lack of character depth and so on and other such maunderings, but the power behind this novel comes from the plot, the science fictional ideas, and the love story. I believe it was of this novel that Damon Knight spoke when he said to Asimov, "If you can write love stories like this, then why bother with science fiction at all?" I must admit, though, that the ending seemes a bit to melodramatized for my tastes, but surely at the time the book was written it carried more power. The revelation of Noys' true identity is the paragon "Asimovian Twist" that I have come to see recurrent through the late grandmaster's work: he starts by feeding the reader a bit of information-- an assumption, if you wil-- about someone or something(more often than not the former) and then at the climax of the story, tears that assumption right out from underneath the reader's feet. Only through intense reding and study of Asimov's works was I able to predict this twist several pages in advance, but I was fooled until then, which says enough in itself, because I knew what to look for. Any fan of Asimov's will already read this book, so it is to the not-yet fans that I speak: if you like science fiction this is as good an early example of it as there is, and it still makes for great reading. PLus, it's not as long as some of his later works, so feel a bit of relief there. Also, look for tie ins to the Empire/Foundation/Robot series in the form of certain concepts and devices mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Asimov Book and it was wonderful!, July 6 1999
ndgibson@wans.net (New Mexico, of the 19.99th) - See all my reviews
By far the best science fiction book I have ever read. I have to get more books by him!

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a very creative book. One of the best Asimov's books, March 11 1999
By A Customer
I've loved that book. At first, because I like of time adventures and after because the highly creative end of its storie. Unfortunately, I gave my book to a friend and never more I found the book again to buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Asimov's best book, Aug. 26 1998
By A Customer
It is inexplicable why this book is out of print and so little known. It is probably Asimov's best, and a very enjoyable read, despite the fact that it shows its age and does not avoid some of the standard sci-fi cliches.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sadly neglected Asimov classic., June 22 1998
By A Customer
This is one of Asimov's best books, but since it isn't really in the Robot-Empire-Foundation series you might have missed it. Also this book shows that early on Asimov could argue against social engineering ,like the Second Foundation's. A must read for Asimov fans.

ARRAY(0xa06b4c24)

The End of Eternity
The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (Hardcover - Jan. 5 2010)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.89