4.0 out of 5 stars A good read.., July 25 2013
This review is from: The End of Eternity (Paperback)
The book had trouble keeping my attention at first. I am a fairly new Asimov fan. However, it is an intriguing story and I would surely recommend it. I will read more of Mr. Asimov's stories in the future, for sure. I am more used to Mr. Clarke's writing style. As I am a scifi addict and love any good off-earth story, and this was a good story. Read it and have fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Asimov Book and it was wonderful!, July 5 1999
ndgibson@wans.net (New Mexico, of the 19.99th) - See all my reviews
By far the best science fiction book I have ever read. I have to get more books by him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining and engaging, Jan. 7 2012
This review is from: The End of Eternity (Paperback)
I found this Isaac Asimov book very interesting. The concept of a department of people whose job it is to move through time and "fix" things is very cool! There were a few very engaging twists, and just enough information given in a number of cases to make you try to figure out what is going on yourself before the characters in the book do. A very good choice for Asimov fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic hard SF, June 15 2011
Jessica Strider (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The End of Eternity (Paperback)
Pros: clever plotting, hard SF

Cons: protagonist is not particularly likable and is surprisingly naive and narcissistic

Andrew Harlan is an Eternal, those who live outside time, Observe and create Reality Changes which positively affect the greatest number of people throughout history. Only two periods are unaffected by them - the prehistoric age, before time travel was invented, and the far FAR flung future.

Harlan's skill as an Observer in the 482nd attracts the attention of Computer Twissell, who arranges for him to become a Technician (someone who actually performs the change) and teach his hobby of primitive history to a student.

On an assignment back to the 482nd, he meets the beautiful, non-Eternal, Noys Lambent, who changes his life. He breaks numerous laws to rescue her from the proposed change to her era and makes plans to request her removal from time so they can stay together.

Naturally, things don't go as smoothly as he hoped they would.

For some reason I always think of Asimov as a writer who's concerned more with science and plot than character. While the science is sound (even to mentioning how time travel can work with the movement of the Earth around the sun), and the plot is clever, character development isn't neglected.

Harlan begins the book as a self-absorbed resident. He works hard and resents how the others who work towards the changes they all make in history shun him as one of those who actually performs the changes. Meeting Noys changes him. He initially becomes more narcissistic and paranoid, then slowly learns to smile and enjoy his time with her.

The question of why she's interested in him is satisfactorily answered by the end of the book when the plot within a plot is revealed. And by this time, as a reader, I'd warmed to him.

While I am happy to see this title brought back into print, I was annoyed to find that the publisher's cover copy was misleading in terms of the book's plot. Asimov told a fantastic story, just not quite the one the publisher lead me to expect.

If you're not a hard SF fan, don't despair. He includes enough science to understand the plot but doesn't bog down the story with pages of explanation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asmov's Best Novel, Aug. 29 2010
Andrew J. Morrison (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End of Eternity (Hardcover)
I've read practically all of Asimov's science fiction works and I think this is definitely his best novel. As well as being a well-constructed story of time travel, it has good character development and an excellent plot. I recommend it to everyone who likes Asimov's other works and to everyone who likes stories about time travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Over Due, July 28 2009
This review is from: The End of Eternity (Hardcover)
The re-release of this title is something I have been hoping for for quite some time since I first read, "End of Eternity" as a teenager when it was a book selection of a sci-fi book club. In the many years since I had managed to acquire three second-hand copies of this long out-of-print gem, only to lose them (through lending to other avid readers). Perhaps this time 'round I'll buy two copies and selfishly keep one all to myself.

This is such a unique take on time-travel with some devious twists and turns along the way, that I have always been amazed it has remained out of print for so long. Fans of Asimov, I believe, will truly enjoy the way this story comes together. The plot outline is given in several other reviews from the out of date soft cover editions so there's no need to recount it here; and besides, I'd hate to give away too much of the story anyway. Let me just say that I don't recall any other author presenting a concept of time-travel as complex, yet seemingly simple and "workable", as is presented here by Asimov - it's just so different. And that was the main attraction of this story when I first read it and why I enjoy revisiting it every so often. I'm presuming this new hard cover edition will remain true to the original and have placed my order for it.

As several of the other reviews have noted, this is perhaps a lesser known work by the author; but it is certainly a story deserving to be published once again. Having read just about every science-fiction story of the author's, this one has always been one of my favourites, and again as pointed out by several other reviewers, arguably one of Asimov's better pieces of fiction. Asimov fans, as well as fans of time-travel stories in general, will most certainly enjoy this take on a traditionally sci-fi theme. Very highly recommended!

The End of Eternity
The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (Hardcover - Jan. 5 2010)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 23.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available