4.0 out of 5 stars Asimov's best book, Aug. 25 1998
By A Customer
It is inexplicable why this book is out of print and so little known. It is probably Asimov's best, and a very enjoyable read, despite the fact that it shows its age and does not avoid some of the standard sci-fi cliches.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a very creative book. One of the best Asimov's books, March 11 1999
By A Customer
I've loved that book. At first, because I like of time adventures and after because the highly creative end of its storie. Unfortunately, I gave my book to a friend and never more I found the book again to buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read.., July 25 2013
This review is from: The End of Eternity (Paperback)
The book had trouble keeping my attention at first. I am a fairly new Asimov fan. However, it is an intriguing story and I would surely recommend it. I will read more of Mr. Asimov's stories in the future, for sure. I am more used to Mr. Clarke's writing style. As I am a scifi addict and love any good off-earth story, and this was a good story. Read it and have fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite stories. As always, Nov. 23 2014
Gerald I. Goldlist "gerrybuddy" (Toronto, Ont., Canada) - See all my reviews
One of my favorite stories. As always, a clever premise for a great science fiction story by Isaac Asimov. I would love to see a movie made of this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Asimov Book and it was wonderful!, July 5 1999
ndgibson@wans.net (New Mexico, of the 19.99th) - See all my reviews
By far the best science fiction book I have ever read. I have to get more books by him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining and engaging, Jan. 7 2012
This review is from: The End of Eternity (Paperback)
I found this Isaac Asimov book very interesting. The concept of a department of people whose job it is to move through time and "fix" things is very cool! There were a few very engaging twists, and just enough information given in a number of cases to make you try to figure out what is going on yourself before the characters in the book do. A very good choice for Asimov fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic hard SF, June 15 2011
Jessica Strider (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The End of Eternity (Paperback)
Pros: clever plotting, hard SF

Cons: protagonist is not particularly likable and is surprisingly naive and narcissistic

Andrew Harlan is an Eternal, those who live outside time, Observe and create Reality Changes which positively affect the greatest number of people throughout history. Only two periods are unaffected by them - the prehistoric age, before time travel was invented, and the far FAR flung future.

Harlan's skill as an Observer in the 482nd attracts the attention of Computer Twissell, who arranges for him to become a Technician (someone who actually performs the change) and teach his hobby of primitive history to a student.

On an assignment back to the 482nd, he meets the beautiful, non-Eternal, Noys Lambent, who changes his life. He breaks numerous laws to rescue her from the proposed change to her era and makes plans to request her removal from time so they can stay together.

Naturally, things don't go as smoothly as he hoped they would.

For some reason I always think of Asimov as a writer who's concerned more with science and plot than character. While the science is sound (even to mentioning how time travel can work with the movement of the Earth around the sun), and the plot is clever, character development isn't neglected.

Harlan begins the book as a self-absorbed resident. He works hard and resents how the others who work towards the changes they all make in history shun him as one of those who actually performs the changes. Meeting Noys changes him. He initially becomes more narcissistic and paranoid, then slowly learns to smile and enjoy his time with her.

The question of why she's interested in him is satisfactorily answered by the end of the book when the plot within a plot is revealed. And by this time, as a reader, I'd warmed to him.

While I am happy to see this title brought back into print, I was annoyed to find that the publisher's cover copy was misleading in terms of the book's plot. Asimov told a fantastic story, just not quite the one the publisher lead me to expect.

If you're not a hard SF fan, don't despair. He includes enough science to understand the plot but doesn't bog down the story with pages of explanation.

The End of Eternity
The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov (Hardcover - Jan. 5 2010)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 23.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available