5.0 out of 5 stars Good Reading, March 5 2011
I purchased this book as a New Year's present for a friend of mine because I think it's an awesome book.

It's the first of the Irish Country series, where Dr. Barry Laverty is a new medical graduate from Queen's University in Belfast, who is off to apply for his first medical job working with Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly in a small town call Ballybucklebo. The book is hilarious as you get to meet the colourful characters of the town, along with Mrs. Kincaid "Kinky", the housekeeper to Dr. O'Reilly who is originally from the area of County Cork.

It is a book about small town life in Ireland in the summer of 1963, and where Dr. Laverty falls in love and gets his first taste of what life is like for a small town family doctor like Dr. O'Reilly, his mentor.

There are five books in the series and if you like this one, I would highly recommend reading the others as well. They all take place in the summer and fall of 1963, and the last one takes place in the winter of 1964.

4.0 out of 5 stars A hilarious tale of medicine and life!, July 21 2011
Karen Splinter (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Irish Country Doctor (Paperback)
This book was given to me by my mother and I have since given it as gifts to others (not my copy, of course). It is a witty remark on rural life as seen by a 'city' doctor, full of interesting characters and memorable encounters. It made me laugh out loud!

5.0 out of 5 stars Irish Country Charmer, July 20 2010
SamB (Victoria BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Irish Country Doctor (Paperback)
This is the first of a great series. I went to Ireland a few years back to see where my grandmother was from. His book describes the area where she grew up and it reads like a story from my grandmother. I can still picture the Irish countryside and the quirky folks I encountered. LOVE IT

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Little Irish Story, Aug. 30 2014
Mojo2U (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
A wonderful story full of character and country charm. Was recommended by my sister. Plan to read all the others. Was surprised how many of the colloquial terms I knew. Heard many from childhood; now know where they originated. Slainte!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good tale of Irish life in the 50's, June 15 2014
Story is about a small villgage and it could have been Hollywood or Bangor or their suburbs. Very believable episodes of the Dr. His patients,his mentor and his love life. At my age I feel it portrays life in the late 40's early 50's simpler times.that I grew up in.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great light read, Jan. 31 2014
This review is from: An Irish Country Doctor (Paperback)
A wonderful novel giving insight into life in a small Irish country village. A good sense of humour runs throughout the book and the characters are delightful.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy read and very amusing, Dec 7 2013
Very well written, an easy read. Quite hilarious and the characters were very true to life.
I would read more books by this author

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, Sept. 19 2013
I liked it. Easy read. Will read more of these books? A lot like the James Herriot series but a bit more humerous

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, Aug. 2 2013
It is so typically Irish that it makes me chuckle, especially when I read some of the Irish-isms that I heard my in-laws use. The story is fun. Very relaxing read. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good read without having to take a lesson from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars review of An Irish Country Doctor, May 26 2013
Review of An Irish Country Doctor

A lovely story of a county in Ireland and all the folks involved with this carefree and sometimes cranky G.P. doctor. Will read more
of this author's books.

An Irish Country Doctor
An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (Paperback - Jan. 22 2008)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24