march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Family

Format: Hardcover|Change

I'm not generally a fan of military fiction, but I've read a number of anthologies edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois and I tend to really like their picks as editors, so when I heard about Warriors, the huge new anthology of stories written especially for this book, I decided to give it a try. Turns out I've been dipping in and out of it for several months now; although all the stories are excellent in their own way, I found that reading story after novella after novellette about warriors, however uniquely defined that term might be in a given tale, was just too much. As a result of the scatter-shot nature of my reading, I lost track of which were my very favourites, but I will note that the stories range from historical fiction by the likes of Steven Saylor, Robert Silverberg and Diana Gabaldon to fantasy tales from Peter S. Beagle, George R.R. Martin and Naomi Novik, to science fiction David Weber and Gardner Dozois, among others. I admit to not reading one story, "The Pit" by James Rollins, because it had to do with training pit bulls to fight; but I found myself surprised at how much I enjoyed this anthology overall. I especially like the fact that the authors represent a lot of different genres of writing, from the realms of mystery, historical fiction, fantasy, sf, horror and straight-forward war stories; that cross-genre inclusivity is, I think, an excellent development in the realm of original anthologies and I really hope it's one that continues, either from these editors or from others. Recommended!
on August 29, 2015
Excellent product, easy to load on phone or tablet as files are mp3. I hope to buy many more audio books in this format. The short stories are fun to listen to while walking my dog. All around a great purchase.
on November 3, 2015
It was not as good as expected, some of the stories I expect that you could call them warriors but just not in the traditional sense.
on March 1, 2016
Good read if you want to immerse yourself into more GoT lore.
on May 8, 2015