5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Taylor does it again.
A Dublin Student Doctor lives up to the writings of Patrick Taylor at his best.

This time we are reading about Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly in his early days as a medical school student back in the 1930s.

Published on March 12 2012 by E. F. Hutton

2.0 out of 5 stars Diagnostic case studies interspersed by narrative
Published on Nov. 23 2012 by Sverre Svendsen

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Taylor does it again., March 12 2012
This review is from: A Dublin Student Doctor: An Irish Country Novel (Hardcover)
A Dublin Student Doctor lives up to the writings of Patrick Taylor at his best.

The novel starts off with Fingal just finishing high school at the age of 18 years old and his father wanting to know what career he intends to pursue. When told he wants to pursue medicine, the old man puts up such a ruckus that young Fingal realizes there's no way he'll be able to go to medical school without his father's financial support, which he has refused to do.

So, on the advice of his older brother Lars, and his mother's support, he goes to sea for four years to raise money for medical school.

Then he is accepted into Trinity University and proceeds to excel in the studies. It is there we meet Ronald Hercules Fitzpatrick (whom we met in An Irish Country Christmas, the third in the Irish Country series), as well as Charlie Cromie (who we met in An Irish Country Village, the second in the Irish Country series) and his sweetheart at the time: Caitlan O'Halloran (Kitty) as a student nurse (who we first meet in the same novel as Charlie Cromie).

In this novel we discover how the relationship between young Fingal and his father was formal and how he got his name (after the famous poet Oscar Wilde). And how his mother wanted to be a doctor herself. His passion for rugby and his dabble into boxing while at sea.

It's a pretty good novel and the 491 pages go by very quickly. It's a pity though that we do not get to learn about his naval escapades. As Patrick Taylor said at the beginning that it would have been too lengthy and so it'll keep for a future novel.

I do look forward to learning why when he had such a yearning for Kitty how he got involved with Deidre who he later married and lost her life in a naval ship that got torpedoed by the Germans during WWII. I also liked to know why he remained a widower since then when Kitty was obviously available since she never married.

But all that will keep as they say. I strongly recommend this novel for its witticism, its humour, and for those who are fascinated to know the early days of Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly in medical school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Patrick Taylor Book Yet!!, Jan. 12 2012
I so enjoyed Dr.Patrick Taylor's 6th book in the Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly series, having read the previous five. What a great story teller he is! He captures the Irish culture perfectly. My parents immigrated to Canada from Ballymoney, Co. Antrim, and when I read Taylor's books, I am transported back there (where I have visited twice) and can hear the cadences of my parents' speech and expressions. I hope Taylor is working on the 7th book. (I have bought "An Irish Country Village" as a hostess gift to give to Canadian friends from Holywood, Co. Down. She received her nurses' training in Belfast and I anticipate her enjoyment of Taylor's account.) Thank you, Patrick Taylor! In "A Dublin Student Doctor," it was fitting that he should have a Dr. Greer coming from Ballymoney where the name, Greer, is known from the firm of lawyers in the town. Brilliant! (I plan to get my soon-to-be 88-year-old sister, born near Ballymoney, started on Taylor's books for her February birthday.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Diagnostic case studies interspersed by narrative, Nov. 23 2012
Sverre Svendsen "Uni" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Patrick Taylor enjoys a fervent following of loyal fans for his prolific Irish Country novels so I was intrigued. This, the sixth in the series, is somewhat of a retroactive prequel about Doctor Fingal Flaherty O'Reilly's student days. It was the first of his novels I have read and maybe I realized too late that this was the wrong place to jump on board. My second mistake was buying a book about a student doctor's medical studies written by "a distinguished medical researcher" (as per the jacket blurb).

This book for me was more like diagnostic case studies and medical treatments interspersed by the required doses of prosaic narrative to tie it together. True, I should have been forewarned by the title of the book, but nevertheless I said to myself numerous times that "this Dr Taylor is a bit of a show-off" giving the readers the A-to-Z of every ailment and complication. Could I be excused for buying the book with the hope of being entertained, instead of taking up medicine? So, I felt there was a surfeit of medical detail in this novel and rather a lack of the elements that make a novel great. There is a lot of dialogue in the book but so much of it is trivial banter between friends, shooting-the-breeze stuff. Even when dramatic events were happening I had difficulty being emotionally committed.

Not having read the previous books I became confused at the end where in the present time frame (1965) Fingal and Kitty are not married but clearly attracted to one another. But, just a few pages before that, in the earlier time frame (the 1930's), the couple had reunited after previously breaking up and were on the their way to meet his family so that he could introduce her to them [as his intended]. I had to return to the first chapter to try to sort out that conundrum. The ending should have clarified how their relationship went nowhere in the 30's. I am not getting another book to find out.

Taylor can be given top marks for his knowledge of Irish colloquial localisms and authenticity. An appendix (no medical reference intended) contains a fifteen page glossary. Reading it makes either a strong argument for the wonderful richness of English as it is so diversely spoken around the world, or makes a logical proposition that Esperanto could be put to good use as a communicative tool by English speakers from diverse cultures. I am sorry, but as a non-medical professional I found this book to be quite boring and bland, not devoid of merit but one for loyal followers of the series, fans of the author's writing style and, especially, the medically inclined.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dublin Student Doctor An irish Country Novel, April 8 2013
I can not say enough about Patrick Taylor he is a wonderful writer. His stories are captivating I have his entire series. I would highly recommend to others

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put it down, Jan. 14 2014
Gets to the heart of medicine in the days gone by. More heart , less technology. Wonderful characters as always Patrick Taylor hit the mark again.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, Aug. 23 2013
Better than the previous two stories that I listened to, very entertaining although a bit heavy on the medical procedures

5.0 out of 5 stars Today and Yesterday's Physician Training, Aug. 3 2013
Patrick Taylor writes with such humanism, humour, and well researched topics. You walk into the pages of any of his books and you are in Ireland travelling the streets and by-ways of Ireland. His series is a "can't miss" for great story-telling and historical fact!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dublin Student Doctor, March 4 2013
This is a great read, I truly enjoy Taylor's writing. There is a lot of Irish history, slang and lots of medical info. laughter is awesome and keeps it a page turner. I have recommended it to my friends and my mom and her friends. I have since reading it bought the entire series, that is how much I enjoyed this book.
A Dublin Student Doctor

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, Jan. 26 2013
I have read just about all of Patrick Taylor's Irish Country Books and they are well written, Humorous, very entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dublin Student Doctor: An Irish Country Novel, Feb. 20 2012
Thomas W. Taylor (Barrie, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I love Patrick Taylor's writing in the "Irish Country" series. Having read all the books in the series I feel I know the characters as personal friends. Many of the scenes and characters bring back memories of life in the UK in the late 50's and early 60's. The delightful way Patrick's doctors are depicted is much like the practitioners I remember, all of them characters and all ready to give a helping hand. The story line covers the activities of a medical student in Dublin in the 1930's. His trials, tribulations, successes and failures both personal and in his chosen profession. The medical information included is clear and informative evan to me without any medical background or training. This book could well be considered an introduction for subsequent books, but is equally able to stand as a complete story in its own right. An excellent, gripping, well written novel. Patrick, please keep them coming!

A Dublin Student Doctor: An Irish Country Novel
A Dublin Student Doctor: An Irish Country Novel by Patrick Taylor (Hardcover - Oct. 11 2011)
CDN$ 28.99 CDN$ 23.19