Published on Oct. 28 2009 by thesleeper

3.0 out of 5 stars frustrated
I'm going to have to disagree with many of the reviews I've read here. I most certainly CAN tell when Jordan stops and Sanderson picks up the narrative. It is painfully obvious. I won't be too critical of Sanderson, because I don't think he should apologize for it, but his style is different. It's shorter, less rambling or descriptive. Also, the dialog is a bit weak...
Published on April 14 2010 by Lawrence D. Hammond

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sanderson takes up Jordan's epic tale and delivers magnificently, Oct. 28 2009
Just finished the book and am anxious for the next. Sanderson has fully taken up the mantle left by Jordan and crafted an masterful addition to this epic series. There are certainly instances where one may notice a different writing style or different nuances used, but that it is to be expected - after all this is a different writer. The most important thing to me, however, was how easily I recognized the continuation of Jordan's finely woven threads of storytelling, and believed to the depths of my soul that the very characters interwoven in them were the very same characters I've learned to love and loathe from the previous volumes. Where Sanderson may differ from Jordan in describing a scene, he has flawlessly adapted Jordan's style of character speech, thought and action. He has even matched the manic pace to the tale that Jordan began ramping up in the previous novel. It is a very smooth transition and Jordan's work has been very well served indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, good series., March 19 2014
Kathi (Calgary, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the book and enjoyed the series. It was a big time commitment with the length and number of books, but worth it. I felt like I'd left an old friend behind when I finished them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!, Nov. 17 2013
This review is from: The Gathering Storm: Book Twelve of the Wheel of Time (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is amazing. I was apprehensive at first, since it's the first book of the final outline Robert Jordan made, and is written by someone else. I didn't need to be! Brandon Sanderson did a tremendous job of sticking to the character expansion already started in this series, and it was gripping from beginning to end. Loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gathering Storm, Oct. 27 2013
Quick / Efficient download - E book. Good book - long - lots of characters with similar names - jumps around a lot.

Worth reading.

Thanks Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Wheel of Time, Sept. 9 2013
loving it! I find Mr. Jordan's writing very entertaining and I am enjoying this series very much. Great characters and events.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, May 31 2013
A loyal fan of the series since the beginning and still hooked on. Great Read yet again!!! Cannot wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a winning combination!, Feb. 7 2013
David C. Chasse (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Robert and Brandon worked so well together on this...the writing was seamless and the action was so intense. Just when you thought the prophecies were unshakable...the unthinkable happens! And yet the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, except for those that wrap everyone around them to reform the pattern. The gathering storm has a wonderful internal struggle that comes to a conclusion and forges a new persona beyond anything expected...you have to read this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A dark book and a great continuation of the series, Nov. 1 2009
Like many fans of the series I was saddened by the passing of Robert Jordan and the hardship for his family in 2007 and that he himself will never get to finish the story that he spent so much of his life working on. But he said before he died that he wanted the fans to be taken care of and his wife and editor Harriet found fantasy writer and Wheel of Time fan Brandon Sanderson to finish the series last three books.

If I was to pick one word to describe this book it would be 'dark'. Now what I mean by that is alot of not so good things are happening in the world to our characters, particularly Rand. The book focus primary on Rand trying to unit the world for the Last Battle and Egwene trying to unit the White Tower with chapters on some of the other plots here and there. The gloom and doom factors of the Dark One touch on the world are ever more apparent and there's a sense of urgency in all characters that they need to hurry up and prepare for what is coming.
All in all the book one of my favorites in the series and finishes with a powerful and moving scene that is one of the best in the series that leaves you salivating for the next installment.

As for the methodology of Sanderson's writing in the book, I felt he got the voices and mindsets of the charters for the most part. I didn't find myself reading the chapters thinking 'oh this part was definitely written by Sanderson' or 'that isn't something that this character would say', I simple got caught up in the story and enjoyed reading it. This might be different if you have read books by both authors, but for me the change was rather seamless. The one exception I might make to this is Mat's chapters. Now I really enjoyed reading his parts, and it may be because Mat was being used as comic relief in an otherwise dark book or because Sanderson is a big Mat fan but his chapters just seemed a little off. It didn't really take away from enjoying the book however, and that's the really important thing.

Sanderson did a A+ job in the very difficult task of adapting his writing style to Robert Jordan's and I'm look forward to reading Towers of Midnight when it's released in fall 2010.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worried At First Then Greatly Relieved, Nov. 17 2009
Kevin (Victoria, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
Perhaps I am selfish but I was devastated when I heard that Robert Jordan had passed away with the series incomplete. I knew that he was creating several notes regarding the plot line, and had penned some work he intended for the final book, but I was still leery of a ghost writer picking up the mantle and completing the series.

I had never heard of Brandon Sanderson before and I worried about how the final book would turn out. I bought the Gathering Storm book with a little trepidation and wary excitement. The first chapter worried me there was a lot of descriptions of the landscape and very little character dialog. But after the first chapter I felt the book really took off. I personally couldn't tell the difference between Robert Jordan's writing and Brandon Sanderson's writing except for perhaps the personality of Mat.

The plot was exciting, each chapter left me wanting for more, and I received great satisfaction with how the book ended. I'm very pleased that Brandon did not try to condense the finale of this story into a single book, and that there would be 2 more books to give the series the ending it deserves.

I think Brandon did a superb job with this book. He has been working under the tremendous pressure of fan expectations and produced a book that matches some of the finest books in the series. I'm very eager to read the next book and recommend that any fan that walked away from the series should come back and take another look.

It's been a long wait but I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The wheel weaves as the wheel wills and hopefully it will weave another book out soon., Nov. 23 2009
It has been a long time coming and frankly worth the wait. I'm sure we were all saddened regarding the death of a beloved author, but thankfully he loved the world he created so much that he was able to leave something behind for his great works to be completed. I have been a fan for years picking up the first book at school out of curiosity and intrest based on the summary and interesting art cover. I have read the book in three days with little to no sleep seeing as how I do not have the time to read like I did when I was younger.
I enjoyed the read just as I did all of the other wonderful books of Robert Jordan's and can only hope that the other two will be just as good. The ending left me feeling full of hope and excited for the next book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Gathering Storm: Book Twelve of the Wheel of Time
The Gathering Storm: Book Twelve of the Wheel of Time by Brandon Sanderson (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 28 2010)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.82