1,754 Reviews
 (1,447)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Enders justify the means
Ender Wiggin is a very unusual boy -- he's a brilliant tactician, a genius, and a despised "third" in a future that only allows two children. He's also six years old.

Published 5 months ago by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read
Different. Not what I thought it would be when I bought it. But interesting enough to carry on to the sequel.
Published 10 months ago by Lee Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars The Enders justify the means, Feb. 24 2014
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Ender's Game (Paperback)

And despite the fact that Orson Scott Card's sci-fi classic is about a little boy learning how to be a warrior, "Ender's Game" is a pretty gripping and sometimes grim adventure story. The descriptions of children being taught out how to be cold-blooded warriors is pretty creepy, but the well-developed future world that Card comes up with is pretty awesome.

After a fight with a gang of bullies, Ender Wiggin is approached by an army officer who wants him to join the elite Battleschool, where kid geniuses become soldiers -- basically because aliens are about to attack Earth AGAIN and may end up wiping out the human race. His brother Peter is too wild and cruel, and his beloved sister Valentine is too mild-mannered.

Ender accepts, and quickly finds himself in a dog-eat-dog space school where he soon becomes loathed for the special treatment the teachers occasionally give him -- when they aren't observing his every move. And it soon becomes obvious that Ender has a natural ability that exceeds that of most of the Battleschool recruits: he instinctively knows how to outmaneuver his opponents and protect himself in a fight, even if he annoys some of the "army" commanders who don't like being outshone.

Back on Earth, his brother and sister try to alter the increasingly unstable politics of Earth by subtle manipulation of the public, a situation that may bring the ruthless Peter into greater power. And as Ender reaches the end of his training, he faces both the buggers and the knowledge of what he is capable of.

"Ender's Game" is kind of an unusual space opera, because the actual war between humans and buggers is not front-and-center until the last act of the story. Up until then, it's about following Ender and his equally unusual siblings as they develop prematurely into adulthood -- these are genius kids who can reshape entire worlds, but you're not really sure that they SHOULD.

Card writes in a detailed but brisk style, with pretty realistic dialogue and some ugly dark spots (the description of Peter flaying a squirrel... for no reason). Ender's time at Battle School and Command School feel rather slow at times, only for things to blossom in the final laps of the novel -- Card suddenly turns all our feelings and expectations on their heads. The tragedy of children turned into soldiers becomes even more tragic as we discover what the war is actually all about.

As you'd expect from Fascist Hogwarts In Space, there are a lot of kids at Battle School who are developed to certain degrees. But the center of the story is Ender himself -- and despite being a tactical genius with loads of natural ability, Ender never seems like a Wesley Crusher. Like a boy destined to be a Spartan warrior, his inborn skills are what will keep him from ever finding peace. His childhood is sacrificed for war.

The other part of the story rests on Peter and Valentine -- Valentine is too nice, while Peter is gradually revealed to be a ruthless genius who works anything and anyone for his goals, which may or may not be self-serving. It's oddly fun to see the growing influence of "Demosthenes" and "Locke" on the cruel government.

"Ender's Game" is an intelligent, gripping space opera with an undercurrent of intense tragedy -- it's kind of slow at times, but the strong writing and intriguing main trio keep it afloat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rightfully considered a masterpiece, Feb. 19 2006
William E. Hunter "Ummagumma" (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ender's Game (Paperback)
For years I've wanted to read this book; it is considered one of the classic works of SF. Recently I did, and surprisingly enough, I wasn't disappointed.

It tells the story of Andrew Wiggin, the Third child of a family living in a future, overpopulated world where families are restricted to only two offspring; except where traits of extraordinary intelligence in the youngsters leads the government to believe that a budding military genius might be in the offing, one who can lead the armies of the Earth in a hopeless battle against a ruthless Alien species. Andrew, nicknamed Ender by his loving sister Valentine and despised by his sadistic brother Peter, shows so much promise that he is whisked away at the tender age of six to an orbiting Battle School by military men unsure whether he will even survive the training, let alone actual battle.

While author OSC maintains a sparse descriptive style with the surroundings, he concentrates on filling out Ender into a living, breathing person of many facets who we feel deeply for as he is thrown into a grinding military program out to wring the last bit of humanity from him.

I loved how easily this book read, while at the same time presenting some serious ethical issues and allowing us to truly enter the mind of a child progeny and experience his arduous journey along side him. I'm not the only one as well; my wife, curious as to what was keeping my nose in the book for long stretches at a time, perused the first few pages and then delved headlong into the book right behind me. I ended up fighting for reading time just so I could finish before her!

Ender's Game is a terrific read; being touching, rollicking, and insightful all at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-if without being Sci-if, July 5 2013
Deep Gill (Southern Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I originally read this book in high school English class. Being forced in school ruins the experience, you're not allowed to take what you want from the book, instead you're forced to analyze it in meaningless ways. Until I got to the end. Without giving anything away, the ending was the connection to a small part of my life at the time, playing Starcraft. Ten years later it was still the one thing I remembered about the book and is the reason I bought it on Kindle.

In the years since high school I've experienced a lot of sci-fi rooted in reality; Starcraft, Halo, Gears of War. They always tend to have one thing in common, lots of technology and science. Ender's Game is different in this way, although its undoubtedly Sci-fi its told in a completely different way. It's a very personal story, a story of a boy forced to grow up in a way he doesn't want to, for reasons he doesn't fully understand. The Sci-fi is in the background, you know it's there but it's nothing but the landscape the real story takes place in. I'm very glad I decided to give it a proper chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books, all-time., June 11 2013
This review is from: Ender's Game (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is amazing. I'm re-reading it and totally absorbed just like when I was a kid seeing it with fresh eyes. It paints a great picture and really lets you relate to the characters w/ some self-reflection by Ender as well as the omniscient points of view of the "big brother-like" administration.

Excellent for understanding government propaganda and the mind of a (brilliant) child reacting to traumatic life events.

Coming out with a movie in the Fall/Winter of 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating story line, May 19 2013
This review is from: Ender's Game (Mass Market Paperback)
I expected something like the Rho Ship and Hunger Games mixture, but I was wrong. It is about special children in particular Ender. You cannot help but feel for his frustration at the bullying and his courage to defend himself. And yet there he is in a military school learning how to become a leader to defend the world from invaders when he knows that adults couldn't do it. You sympathize with the dilemmas and ethical issues that he is forced into. You forget at times that he is only a child. Interesting how three children from the same family all have a special trait which have an impact on the history of Earth. Story captivates right from the beginning and you cannot put the book down. Nice plot double twist at the end which opens the door for the future expansion of the story. Well worth while reading especially knowing that a movie is coming out. Isn't it obvious who Harrison Ford will play in the movie! Mazer?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 25 2014
crafted beautifly , from the introduction until the end, I love the fact that we see from most of the caracter's point of view.I discovered it trhough a school project (independent novel, I didn't chose this one but saw the movie recently and took it in a library) although I would've liked to see Peter's point of view, there is Valentine's which compensates. The introduction (although a bit long) is NOT to be skipped it is amazing to know about his journey and to see he deeply cares about his fans and pays attention to them. Well done Mr.card

5.0 out of 5 stars one for the ages, July 23 2014
Great book! I enjoyed it years ago as a teenager an again now as an adult. Enjoyed it differently each time, as one does when one reads a good book at different times of life. If you are a true fan of hard sci-fi, you will enjoy this. If you hate any story set in space that is written with intelligence and imagination, this is not for you. I plan to read it again in a few years. Really like the rest of the "enderverse" as well, recommend the whole series.

Defiantly a must read if you are going to see the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, July 17 2014
Andres Consumer (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Incredible book.
First read it as a child and a stroke of nostalgia motivated me to read it again recently. If you haven't read it, you should.
I don't want to spoil anything and you shouldn't read any summaries beforehand. Just read the book on its own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do not over look the introduction., Dec 15 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I bought the paperback. A paperback is not the easiest thing to wield, so I also bought the kindle version. I always make sure that it is Text-to-Speech Enabled and it helps to be X-Ray Enabled.

Then to my surprise the kindle version offered Whispersync for Voice so I could not pass the opportunity. The Whispersync starts out on the first page of the book and bypasses the introduction. I read the introduction from the paperback and found it be backing up from where the kindle started.

The kindle version also has the beginning chapter from the next book in the series (Speaker for the Dead) this section also works with the Whispersync.

The reason I mentioned the introduction is because it is as important as the book it's self. It gives a background of the author and a quick how to write a novel course. Orson Scott Card said that the introduction can be passed but I would not do it.

I know this is not really focused on the military; however he nails many of the situations. From commander's intent to training and target of opportunity I felt that I was in the BNCOC and ANCOC while reading the story.

The story takes place in the future. The enemy attacked humankind twice and maybe a third time is on the horizon. We are looking for a great leader as the ones form the past to carry us to victory. The question is how to go about finding and preparing the person for the future. We are more interested in Andrew "Ender" Wiggin's relationship to family, and the people around him. The big picture is finding out whom / what we are.

2.0 out of 5 stars enders game, Dec 10 2013
After all the hype I expected a really good story. It was a disappointment. More like SciFi light. I just needed more.

Ender's Game
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 18 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01