Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on July 28, 2003
This book was ok, only as the continuing story from Hominids. I really thought this book was too much about the love story between Ponter and Mary (which was one of the worst parts of the first book) and not not enough about the neanderthal world and their dealings with our own world.
I liked the parts that dealt with the differences in neanderthal history and science, and the political situations that Ponter and the ambassador were involved in. But those were few and far between overshadowed by this unnecessary and unbelievable love story.
Finally, I thought the Synergy group that Mary joins was very focused on the magnetic field without ever giving us a good reason why. Then at the end, there is a little surprise thrown in which seemed pretty silly to me, and I might normally say that it looked bad for the next book, but anything that takes attention away from this romance disguised as science fiction will be an improvement.
I would recommend reading this book if you liked Hominids, but it isn't as good. Hopefully, the next book will be much better.
on October 16, 2003
I read the first installment in Analog as a series, and it was interesting enough that bought this second of the series. I was very disappointed, however, with the constant comparison of our human culture and the "can do no wrong" neanderthal world. This book is almost all the author's ideas of what is wrong with our world, and very little story line or action. I had to force myself to finish the book, just to be fair to the author. Also, why is it that an author feels he/she has to include graphic and explicit gratuitous sex scenes.? If he feels his story isn't good enough to hold our interest without the explicit sex, then don't write the story in the first place. He makes the neanderthals out to be saints with a perfect eden of a world. I don't believe I will buy or read the next book.
on May 8, 2003
I imensly enjoyed the first installment of this trilogy and looked forward to getting a copy of "Humans",
It does not disapoint. Anyone with a facination about Anthropology will not be let down by this rip roaring adventure acorss the dimentional divide.
HOWEVER, there does appear to be a running theme throughout the book that White Men are the sole cause of all of societys ills.
All the major characters(with the exception of the neanderthal) are white women and men of colour, I enjoyed this refreshing twist on things however the non stop negative references toward european based culture and caucasian males are just a little bit ridiculous and over the top and in my mind political correctness run amuck.. otherwise a fab read...!