5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!
It has been years since I borrowed the occasional Repairman Jack novel from the library. I am purchasing them all in sequence and am thrilled to reading the whole series in sequence.
Published 1 day ago by Southampton Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars okay but not the best
The Repairman Jack novels are generally very good. If this is your first try at the series read The Tomb or Legacies first. They are much better. This book works if you are familiar with the milieu but otherwise is weaker than the previous installments.
Published on Oct. 22 2001 by bloller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, July 21 2014
This review is from: Conspiracies (Mass Market Paperback)

1.0 out of 5 stars forgettable, Oct. 1 2010
This review is from: Conspiracies (Mass Market Paperback)
The first 2 in the series were way better.I'm not sure I will continue reading the rest of this series after this one.A real disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars You're Not Paranoid If They Really ARE Out To Get You....., July 20 2003
Daniel V. Reilly (Upstate New York, United States) - See all my reviews
F. Paul Wilson's magnificently rendered Urban Mercenary Repairman Jack returns for another job in Conspiracies, his follow-up to The Tomb & Legacies. Conspiracies also marks Jack's return to the type of Supernatural adventures that Wilson writes so well.
Repairman Jack is hired to find missing conspiracy-theorist Melanie Ehler, who has vanished mere days before she was slated to unveil GUT (Grand Unification Theory), her theory which would unite almost ALL conspiracy theories under ONE gigantic all-encompassing plot against humanity. Melanie's Husband, Lew, is moved to hire Jack after being contacted by the missing Melanie....as a voice coming through the television while Lew is watching The Weather Channel. Jack is soon up to his neck in crackpots as he infiltrates an annual Conspiracy convention (Which provides some BIG laughs to offset the novel's growing sense of menace), and if he ever manages to sift through all of the disparate theories, he just may find himself head-to-head with a VERY familiar baddie....
Conspiracies marks a Grand Unification of a different sort, as Wilson ties Jack more firmly into the mythology of his six-book Adversary Saga, as well as some of his many excellent short stories. Knowledge of his short stories isn't necessary (Although readers familiar with the town of Monroe, the gateway in the New Jersy Pine Barrens, and disfigured serial-killer Carly will be tickled at the sly winks to those and other stories), but I think at least a working knowledge of The Adversay Saga (The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, Reborn, Reprisal, and Nightworld) is needed to fully grasp the weight and importance of the story. I'm not sure I would have been satisfied with the ending if I hadn't read the other books already. For this avid F. Paul Wilson fan, Cnspiracies is his best book yet, and luckily, there's much more Repairman Jack to come.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment after reading first two great prequels., Oct. 7 2002
M. Steffen (Des Moines, IA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm disappointed after I read first two good books (Tomb and Legacies). This book doesn't really make sense with a lot of mumbo jumbo and not as interesting as the previous ones. I just lost interested after reading a hundred pages, but forced myself to finish it as quick as I can. It would be nice if Mr. Wilson put more variety in his novels without using Pine Barrens in each story, for ex. Also, writing about supernatural in this Repairman Jack novel, please. They don't really fit together with RJ character to my opinion. Write something like in real life like Legacies or a short story in Barrens and Others. I hope the next novels will be much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Addition to the Adversary Cycle, Sept. 29 2002
First, let me say that Conspiracies is a great book. But I say that because I'm a huge fan of Dr. Wilson's larger 'Adversary' cycle that includes The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, Reborn, Reprisal, and Nightworld. This story, taking place after the Tomb and before Nightworld, deals with Repairman Jack's attempt to locate a missing lady. He finds himself at a convention of conspiracy theorists, which is run by a highly charismatic individual by the name of Sal Roma.
Now, for those of you who haven't read the Adversary Cycle stories, I can certainly understand your confusion and feeling that this story was incomplete. Let me fill in some of the gaps...first of all, the main antagonist of the story is Sal Roma. In the story, Sal refers to himself as the Chosen One several times and though the story makes no direct statement as to his true name, a bit of simple logic will show that this is really Rasalom (Sal Roma = Rasalom), the evil immortal introduced in The Keep. His attempts to control the earth have been going on since The Keep, and his eternal struggle with the forces of good (represented by the equally immortal warrior Glaeken) is the substance of the Adversary Cycle. Second, the town where the missing lady was living is the setting of Reborn. In fact, the events surrounding her birth are the events of Rasalom's rebirth in Reborn. Finally, the 'other world' that opens up at the end of the story may seem odd and unexplained. However, it makes a great deal of sense if you've read Nightworld. In Nightworld, literally hundreds of these portals are opened to the other world hinted at in Conspiracies. Not only are these portals explained more thoroughly, but we get to see first hand what sort of things live in that other world.
Bottom line is that this story really can't be seen as a stand-alone story. It's a part of a much larger story that Jack plays a part in, with the ultimate answers to this story being given in later volumes like Nightworld. Even though this book doesn't directly answer many of the questions posed in it, Conspiracies does succeed as a story arc leading back to the rest of the Adversary Cycle.
If you read this book as a stand-alone story, you're really missing the best of what Dr. Wilson has written. Read the entire Adversary Cycle. You'll be very very glad you did.

1.0 out of 5 stars More loose ends than a bowl of spaghetti., March 5 2002
D. S. Hoffman "D S Hoffman" (Bakersfield, CA) - See all my reviews
Why one star? Funny, if a book is so terrible that I can tell it's junk from the first paragraph, I don't mind. I'll just put it down and pick up another book. For me, the worst books are the ones that have just enough narrative drive to keep you turning the page, yet fail to deliver at every single turn.
That's how it was with this book; I liked the opening--I really did! Repairman Jack's purchase of a 'new' Daddy Warbucks lamp and his difficulty finding a place for it amidst all the assorted junk of his apartment was a great bit of characterization--enough to hook me.
Where to begin... how about the ending? (No, this is not a spoiler. Read on.) The climax was straight Perils of Pauline. It reminded me of the climax to a story I wrote in third grade, in which an electric car crashes, and the combined vacuum from all the cracked vacuum tubes (yes, I was in third grade that long ago)sucks our hero towards his doom. Yes, that bad--my third grade story and this one. And _Conspiracies_' climax is followed in short order by a deus ex machina resolution (non-resolution, really) that had no set-up at any point earlier in the novel. Then, serving to underline all the loose ends in the novel, Repairman Jack thinks over all the many questions which are still unanswered. Aaargh!
The premise is very promising: Jack is hired to find a missing wife; turns out she's a conspiracy theorist, and to track her down Jack must attend a convention of conspiracy theorists and masquerade as one of their number. Great set-up, but in my opinion F. Paul Wilson fails to deliver. The amount of research that went into this story, I suspect, could be achieved with a Yahoo search for 'conspiracy' and about thirty minutes of free time.
There are also several long-winded bits of padding, worst of all: Jack's interminable discussions with his best-male-friend-in-the-world Abe Grossman, who (guess the religious/ethnic stereotype) says stuff like, "Nu? You next look where for this missing lady?"
Finally, one wonders if the editor was asleep, allowing numerous misspellings, and even (page 311): "The One watched the hole in rapt fascination, only vaguely barely aware of the struggle..." etc. Vaguely barely? And how about the Sunday Schedule of Events, which appears on the terminal page; was this misplaced as an editorial oversight (that's my vote), or is there some sort of deeper meaning here?
Bottom line, this is more than just a sequel to _The Tomb_; it's a shameless commercial for the earlier book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nightmarish Drama-action-mystery., Dec 9 2001
Although this story had it's weak spots I could not call the story weak. The nightmarish drama and mystery in this book was much more than enough to keep me reading like crazy and looking into the shadows. The book is truly a shocker in it's dynamic plot. I think it was one of the most amazing peices of literature out there and my favorite book.

3.0 out of 5 stars okay but not the best, Oct. 22 2001
"bloller" (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Repairman Jack - Great Series, June 20 2001
By A Customer
This was the first of a great series of books. The protagonist, Repairman Jack, is a great character. I look forward to Wilson writing more of this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good Repairman Jack Novel, Feb. 20 2001
Michael Daugherty (Ponca City, OK United States) - See all my reviews
Another good Repairman Jack novel. I would rate this one between "The Tomb" and "All the Rage". Can't wait to see someone make one of these fine books into a movie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Conspiracies
Conspiracies by F. Paul Wilson (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 30 2008)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49