Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on May 19, 2011
I decided to try a Brandon Sanderson book after reading his continuation of Robert Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series. Wow! I was very impressed - completely new uses of magic and a gripping storyline that made it hard to put the books down. This series is nice in that it is complete in 3 parts, so no need to wait for another installment. A definite buy!
on January 23, 2013
This series was a pleasure to read. I'm so happy I came upon it. I'd never heard of Brandon Sanderson or Mistborn, it just came up in my Amazon recommendations.

It's clear that the full series was crafted from beginning to end before the first book was written. Everything ties together brilliantly throughout.

This is an intriguing world where monsters roam the nights, beasts attack cities and supernatural forces have a hand in it all. The writing is clever and even the most creative reader is unlikely to predict the direction of the stories as they unfold.

The characters are what makes this story stand above much modern writing. Everyone has a history, everone has a unique personality and it's all done without often dull character exposition. The reader learns about the characters as they live their lives, through the natural course of the plot.

I loved every aspect of this series and I hope you treat yourself to the adventure that is this trilogy.
on September 28, 2012
Cleverly written and one of the most interesting and engaging set of fantasy novels I have read. Sanderson's uniquely dark take on magic coupled with the fact that the story is concluded within 3 books definitely makes this series stand out amongst the best of fantasy novels. The script before the beginning of each chapter adds an additional element of intrigue to the main storyline. I am looking forward to reading Alloy of the Law which takes places 300 years after the events that transpired in the trilogy.
on January 17, 2011
Only halfway through and I can see why they chose this author to finish the Wheel of Time series. The world he's created is deeply and extensively unravelled throughout the books - the characters are well developed with volumes of information subtly woven throughout chapter headings "readings" and inner thoughts of the characters. Well paced and cleverly written. I would highly recommend to those who love a darker fantasy read.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 1, 2013
The Mistborn Trilogy was a fabulous read with twists and turns until the very last chapter. I picked this book up after enjoying The Way of Kings. I read Sanderson's debut Elantris many years ago and, while I enjoyed it, it was nothing spectacular. The author has come a long way and has now moved into spectacular territory. Sanderson is now on my list of authors to pre-order.

I will not spoil this review with a plot summary - it will not do the novel justice. Characters are complex and interesting (with flaws and all and excellent development), the plot is fantastic and moves at a great pace, the world setting is well built with a new magical system (or two or three), a meaningful history (the evil lord Ruler has already won a 1000 years ago and now must be overthrown), and a defined political structure.

Unlike many authors, Sanderson does not fall into the trap of falling in love with his characters and is willing to use major character deaths for the betterment (and realism aspect) of the story. Characters use magic as a tool, but are not all powerful... Magic does not solve everything, but it certainly helps.

The first book in the trilogy works as a standalone novel so if you are unsure about the trilogy buy that first. I'd advise you to buy all three at once.... I'm already in the midst of reading the follow-up Alloy of Law.
on October 27, 2013
I loved the writing and the characters in this book. Now I am recommending it to anyone and everyone. The world that Sanderson creates just comes off the pages and right from the first book I was hooked in. I have read the A Song of Ice and Fire series and Name of the Wind. This trilogy is on my top lists in terms of fantasy.

Great action scenes and storytelling!
on February 9, 2014
This trilogy was hard to put down. The background details of the characters...the writing style was extremely visual. While reading these books I truly felt as though I were watching and epic movie. The story line was complex...but not inaccessible. I am not a prolific fantasy reader but The Mistborn series truly captivated me. I was sad when the series came to an end.
on December 4, 2013
Lots of mysteries going on in these books. They keep you captivated throughout the trilogy. Almost a mystical setting. I'd love to see a movie made of this story.
on November 4, 2015
A well descripted, involved world mixed with deep and thoughtful characters riddled with sympathetic traits as much as faults. Set in a world not like our own, but just as realistic...that is to say being bound by rules that dictate it's behavior constantly.

This book became the first (in many following) series that I've had the pleasure of reading and had started me down the path of, not only reading regularly, but to loving the epicfantasy genre and never knowing what to do without something in my hands to read.

For this series in particular, I have read it 6 times and for every new release from the author within the world/ series, I do another full read-through before I even pick up the newest edition. With this series being my particular favorite, I find I always default back to reading it again whenever I don't have anything else to read.

I highly recommend the series as a good starter and all around excellent book. With efficient and descriptive sentences as well as a more simpler means of description, this series is a very good start to getting into the literary world and, more prominently, imaginative and epic fantasy
on September 6, 2013
I came to Brandon Sanderson's writing from his work on the Wheel of Time, and continue to be pleasantly surprised on his writing.

The Mistborn series starts off with "Mistborn" which is an 'Ocean's 11'-styled novel detailing the young Vin and their plots to overthrow an evil empire headed by an ominous fellow named Lord Ruler (it sounds cheesy, but bear with me!) Vin discovers that she is an allomancer, which means she can use magic based on various metals, and teams up with a thieving crew led by another allomancer called Keslier to accomplish the task. Along the way, she meets a love interest named Elend who the heir to a noble house supporting the Lord Ruler.

The second novel Well of Ascension, takes where the first novel left off and deals with the aftermath of the heroes actions. While not as action-packed as the first novel, it continues to develop the characters and remains a compelling story. Some of the more minor characters are highlighted more in this novel (as opposed to the first novel which told the story from the point of view of Vin almost entirely).

In the third novel, The Hero of the Ages, Vin and Elend are facing a larger battle as now the world is in danger. The story answers some questions raised in both the first and second books, and ties together marvelously.

All three novels use a technique of quoting from a journal, which give a different perspective on the novels.

If you like Sanderson's work for the Wheel of Time series, or love good fantasy in general, you'll enjoy these series as a read!