5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one film ... The Snowman should be it!
Published on Oct. 31 2003 by Sobai

3.0 out of 5 stars Half The DVD is Good
Published on Dec 23 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one film ... The Snowman should be it!, Oct. 31 2003
This review is from: The Father Christmas and Snowman (Double Feature) (DVD)
Having read hundreds of film critiques on Amazon (and understanding, of course, that opinions are only relative to the viewer)I feel compelled to finlly share words of praise for what I believe to be the most wonderful children's and family film ever produced. There is only one film in our collection that is watched all year long and always raved about by all who see it (including adults). The grand babies can't wait to get to Nana & Papa just to see The Snowman (even in the dog days of summer!). This delightful film even provoked conversation about Aurora Borealis, which they all have now learned about at such a young age! Raymond Briggs brought magic to the book and just when you thought that could not get any better, it was made into a film. What is so magical about this film is that a child's imagination is set free to explore the animated illustrations and soothing music WITHOUT any distraction from narration. Even adults are captivated as they sit quietly holding little ones, who have long since stopped moving and chattering when this film comes on. Undoubtedly, I believe this to be the very best children's film available. No violence, no distasteful language, nothing objectionable. How could there be ... only glorious music and beautiful illustrations come to life in a childs imagination. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, this is the sweetest film you'll see. Our 3-generation family gives this film 5 big stars!
P.S. We have watched the VHS version for years. Having not seen the new DVD version(which comes with the tag-along DVD) I cannot comment on the Father Christmas DVD. However, from all of the negative comments, it does not seem to be worth watching(?). However, for the price of this dual set - you can certainly toss Father Christmas if you don't like it and still be way ahead of the game with just the purchase of The Snowman (which I believe is now being offered on DVD for the first time ever!). What a shame it was not released as a single DVD. Hmmmm...maybe that was the only way to move Father Christmas?

5.0 out of 5 stars Father Christmas is different in Canada, Dec 24 2004
This review is from: The Father Christmas and Snowman (Double Feature) (DVD)
Just a note of advice for Canadian consumers of this disc. Most of the reviews here refer to a horrid Americanized version of Father Christmas. However the one I bought in Canada two years ago is the British 'blooming' version. The artwork is the same as the one posted with the disc on this site so I don't think its a different issue of the film. They may have changed the version on later copies but I suspect that would be more trouble than its worth. So if you live in Canada enjoy the 'Bob Hoskins'-ish cockney version and try not to gloat around the American Amazon posters...

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story...broken DVD, Dec 1 2003
This review is from: The Father Christmas and Snowman (Double Feature) (DVD)
I have purchased this DVD twice and have tried to play them on our regular DVD player as well as on two laptops. No matter what I've tried, The Snowman has never played. Only the very different and very awful Father Christmas will work. I finally gave up and bought the VHS tape of The Snowman, so that my children could see the most wonderful and haunting Christmas movie ever made.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sanitized American version, Nov. 30 2003
This review is from: The Father Christmas and Snowman (Double Feature) (DVD)
First, the DVD is defective. Only the Father Christmas story plays. This version is a sanitized American version which eliminates the British Engllish expressions that give life to the story. SKIP THIS DVD! If you ever have a chance to see a British PAL video, you'll see why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Nov. 24 2003
This review is from: The Father Christmas and Snowman (Double Feature) (DVD)
Although both animations are lovely, 'The Snowman' is the real masterpiece of the two. The Briggs book is brought to life, and the story is actually enhanced by the lack of narration.
Having loved this video since I was young, I wanted to introduce it to my young son (he's 5). I had a suspicion that, as fast-paced as today's shows and games are, he would find this dull. I was pleasantly surprised that the story won out, and that he was into it from beginning to end. (I also recommend the 'Kipper' series of videos for this calm but engaging style of storytelling.)
'Father Christmas' is nice enough. It's a good bonus feature, but isn't quite as wonderful as 'The Snowman,' and doesn't hold my son's interest (or mine) as well. I understand that the British version is racy and lot more charming.
Anyhow, it's a real treat to be able to share this movie with my son!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Snowman - The Best, Nov. 13 2003
Lindsay H. Scott "seed04" (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Father Christmas and Snowman (Double Feature) (DVD)
This is truely one of the best "movies" I have ever seen. We got the VHS years ago when our daughter was very young and more recently got the DVD. The music is haunting and beautiful. I loved it as much as my daughter and we would watch it over and over. Can't say anything about Father Christmas as I don't remember it. We still watch The Snowman regularly after all these years and are getting copies for our grandchildren for this Christmas. Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Virginia viewer, Oct. 23 2003
James E. Allen (CHARLOTTESVILLE, VIRGINIA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Father Christmas and Snowman (Double Feature) (DVD)
I have not even seen this DVD but am VERY familiar with
both animations. THE SNOWMAN IS WONDERFUL......Hands down.
If what they say about FATHER CHRISTMAS is true then it has
truly been RUINED. And I can not imagine how that was allowed
to happen or what idiot thought it up. Sometimes there is a
reason to still have firing squads.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Snowman (1982), Jan. 16 2003
This review is from: The Father Christmas and Snowman (Double Feature) (DVD)
Ths was the best movie ive ever seen!!! I saw it when i was three and ive seen it now and i still love the warm fuzzy feelin' i get whne i watch it and here that awesome music!!!!! My mom is totally in love with the film. out of all the action thrillers and dramatic movies we have in our collection The Snowman is deffinently the classic and the favorite! I cant beleive it only has 4 starz!!! <: O This is a classic that should never die!!! Viva la snowman!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Half The DVD is Good, Dec 23 2002
This review is from: The Father Christmas and Snowman (Double Feature) (DVD)
I bought this DVD mainly for Father Christmas, as I had almost worn out my VHS version, taped off PBS years ago. As others have said, the version on this DVD is a travesty, with the gruff, but loveable Mel Smith's voice replaced by a much too benign voice that rather resembles Sebasitan Cabot's as Mr French from the old "Family Affair" show. This feature definitely got the "PC" treatment, as all Santa's witticisms were cut, and phrases like "happy bloomin' Christmas" were changed to "Merry Christmas".
On the flip side, I was quite pleased with "The Snowman", which was a beautiful and haunting little film, with a fine musical score. If you get this DVD, get it ONLY for The Snowman. Don't even watch Father Christmas! What are you doing? I said don't watch it! Not even once!
If you have a DVD player or computer capable of playing region 2 DVDs, you can order the British version and hear Mel Smith in all his bloomin' glory.

3.0 out of 5 stars Agree - Sanitized Father Christmas is Bloomin' Awful!, Dec 19 2002
"rgt137" (Concord, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Father Christmas and Snowman (Double Feature) (DVD)
As the other reviewers state the Americanized Sanitized version of Father Christmas is, well, bloomin awful! The British original in which Father Christmas has a cokney accent and sounds a lot like Bob Hoskins is wonderfully fun. Giving him a BBC accent and taking out all the "Bloomin" and "Blimey" makes it just like all the unimaginative Disney [stuff] out there.
Having ranted about Father Christmas though, I can now tell you I LOVE the Snowman. It is magical and enchanting (definately NOT Disney), and you should buy this DVD just for that.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›