Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: DVDChange
Price:$89.05+ $3.49 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on October 31, 2003
Having read hundreds of film critiques on Amazon (and understanding, of course, that opinions are only relative to the viewer)I feel compelled to finlly share words of praise for what I believe to be the most wonderful children's and family film ever produced. There is only one film in our collection that is watched all year long and always raved about by all who see it (including adults). The grand babies can't wait to get to Nana & Papa just to see The Snowman (even in the dog days of summer!). This delightful film even provoked conversation about Aurora Borealis, which they all have now learned about at such a young age! Raymond Briggs brought magic to the book and just when you thought that could not get any better, it was made into a film. What is so magical about this film is that a child's imagination is set free to explore the animated illustrations and soothing music WITHOUT any distraction from narration. Even adults are captivated as they sit quietly holding little ones, who have long since stopped moving and chattering when this film comes on. Undoubtedly, I believe this to be the very best children's film available. No violence, no distasteful language, nothing objectionable. How could there be ... only glorious music and beautiful illustrations come to life in a childs imagination. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas, this is the sweetest film you'll see. Our 3-generation family gives this film 5 big stars!
P.S. We have watched the VHS version for years. Having not seen the new DVD version(which comes with the tag-along DVD) I cannot comment on the Father Christmas DVD. However, from all of the negative comments, it does not seem to be worth watching(?). However, for the price of this dual set - you can certainly toss Father Christmas if you don't like it and still be way ahead of the game with just the purchase of The Snowman (which I believe is now being offered on DVD for the first time ever!). What a shame it was not released as a single DVD. Hmmmm...maybe that was the only way to move Father Christmas?
on March 20, 2001
Grab some hot cocoa, a warm blanket and each other and snuggle up for this annual Christmas favorite!
The Snowman / Father Christmas double feature DVD is great for families with children of all ages. Short but sweet, each of these shows are roughly 24 minutes in length, making them perfect for parents who don't want their kids parked in front of the tv for hours.
The colored drawing effect of The Snowman will delight viewers while the relaxing soundtrack makes one forget there is no dialogue. Its simplicity nurtures the imagination.
Father Christmas, narrated by none other than Santa himself, has a more modern cartoon feel to it but manages to bring the viewer back full circle to The Snowman with a scene borrowed from it called "Snowman's Party". Go along for the ride in Santa's flying camper as he vacations in France, Scotland and even Las Vegas!
If you want a wholesome Christmas DVD that the whole family can enjoy year after year, you've found it. ENJOY!
on November 11, 2000
I had never seen "The Snowman," but took a chance on it because of the low price. Wow! I'm so glad I did. "The Snowman" is one of the most beautiful cartoons I've ever seen . . . In fact, the word "cartoon" doesn't do justice to this lovely film, which has the feel of a moving colored-pencil drawing. The music is whimsical and shimmering, and I sometimes play it without even watching the film. Even with the continuous music, the film has a silent feel to it because of the absence of dialogue. The only words are in the one lovely vocal song, "Walking in the Air," sung by a boy treble, haunting and beautiful. This has become one of my favorite holiday DVDs, and I'd recommend it to anyone who still finds magic in Christmas. (On the other hand, I can't recommend the DVD's second feature, "Father Christmas." It's irreverent and depressing, showing Father Christmas on vacation on a sunny beach; one of the most un-Christmasy things I've ever seen.)
on November 24, 2003
Although both animations are lovely, 'The Snowman' is the real masterpiece of the two. The Briggs book is brought to life, and the story is actually enhanced by the lack of narration.
Having loved this video since I was young, I wanted to introduce it to my young son (he's 5). I had a suspicion that, as fast-paced as today's shows and games are, he would find this dull. I was pleasantly surprised that the story won out, and that he was into it from beginning to end. (I also recommend the 'Kipper' series of videos for this calm but engaging style of storytelling.)
'Father Christmas' is nice enough. It's a good bonus feature, but isn't quite as wonderful as 'The Snowman,' and doesn't hold my son's interest (or mine) as well. I understand that the British version is racy and lot more charming.
Anyhow, it's a real treat to be able to share this movie with my son!
on June 4, 2001
Although it's a great 2-in-1 treat, The Snowman is by far the superior of the two Christmas tales in this DVD. Told entirely through a gorgeous arrangement of music, and free of dialogue, this story of friendship between a boy and a Snowman literally leaps to life. The soft pastel strokes of animation evoke a dreamlike quality that propels this story into the realm of artistry. While The Snowman is ideal for children of all ages, make no mistake that adults will be moved by this too. No fair to give away the ending, but it's a heartbreaking metaphor for the exact moment in our young lives when we all "grow up"; it's perhaps the most moving thing I've ever seen.
on December 23, 2004
Just a note of advice for Canadian consumers of this disc. Most of the reviews here refer to a horrid Americanized version of Father Christmas. However the one I bought in Canada two years ago is the British 'blooming' version. The artwork is the same as the one posted with the disc on this site so I don't think its a different issue of the film. They may have changed the version on later copies but I suspect that would be more trouble than its worth. So if you live in Canada enjoy the 'Bob Hoskins'-ish cockney version and try not to gloat around the American Amazon posters...
on October 14, 2001
I have watched The Snowman at least once a year since its first airing on Channel 4 in 1982 here in the UK. The music is excellent and the animation, while obviously not on a Disney budget, is brilliant. I do not use the word 'classic' to describe many things, but The Snowman is just that. The second feature, Father Christmas is not a classic but it is not without its charm. The film shows what Santa Claus does on the other 364 days, but strangely he does not live in the North Pole.
My Verdict:
The Snowman 10/10
Father Christmas 6/10
on October 31, 2002
The Snowman is a family tradition in our home. Our children have watched it since they were old enough to focus--first on PBS, then on video. I am so pleased to see it available on DVD. It has become an important family tradition--we play it nightly from Thanksgiving through New Year's. The music is beautiful--I'd buy the soundtrack if I could find it! It is my gift of choice for families celebrating "baby's first christmas"--knowing that they will enjoy it for many years.
on January 11, 2000
Wow! What a wonderful addition to our DVD collection! Being the parent of a 2 year old, I am very selective in what I allow my daughter to watch. Both these stories are delightful but I particularly appreciated the simplicity of the Snowman because of it's absence of dialogue and beautiful music. It encouraged my daughter to tell me what the story was rather than the average video which leaves little to the imagination. A definite must-have for year round viewing!
on November 13, 2003
This is truely one of the best "movies" I have ever seen. We got the VHS years ago when our daughter was very young and more recently got the DVD. The music is haunting and beautiful. I loved it as much as my daughter and we would watch it over and over. Can't say anything about Father Christmas as I don't remember it. We still watch The Snowman regularly after all these years and are getting copies for our grandchildren for this Christmas. Enjoy!