5.0 out of 5 stars One man and the search for his inner child...a great message
Published on July 11 2004 by Rob

3.0 out of 5 stars Hook: Film Review
Published on Dec 28 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars One man and the search for his inner child...a great message, July 11 2004
Rob "Revuman" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hook (Sous-titres français) [Import] (DVD)
For a movie going on lucky 13 years old, it's still as fun to watch as it was the first time I saw it in the theaters. Peter Banning is a well off American lawyer married to the great grandaughter of Wendy Moira Angela Darling...Mora Darling. He also has two kids, Jack and Maggie. However, supporting for his family has become a full time job and as such he's forgotten all about having an imagination, playing with his kids, spending time with his family, and enjoying his life. And in the middle of all of this, there's Capt. James S. Hook, life long enemy of Peter Pan (Banning, though unbeknownst to him). In an act of vengeance, he kidnaps Banning's kids in the night, and tinkerbell comes home to bring Peter back to Never Neverland and make Peter remember the life he left behind and the fight that was never finished.
Mr. Spielberg went all out on this movie, and it shows. There's a lot of heart and soul here from the pirate ships to the lost boys hideout to London and back again. At the same time, there's a lot of heart in both the screenplay and the actors embodiment of the characters. I don't think there will ever be a Hook as good as the one that Dustin Hoffman has done in this film, Bob Hoskins is always a pleasure to watch and his comedic timing is near perfect, causing everything from a slight chuckle to uproarious laughter to pass your lips after each scene he's in, and William's Peter Banning/Pan, while extrodinarily silly and misguided at times, comes around brilliantly, and the first time you watch him fly you can't help but grin from ear to ear.
The child talent is always a risky business, but if you accept that the kids are not going to be the best actors in the world, you realize that most of them do the script justice, whether they know they are or not. Charlie Korsmo, along with Dante Basco, are clearly the most talented, carrying their scenes with Williams and Hoffman very well.
John Williams score is as wonderful as it ever was (you can hear some of the framework for the Harry Potter music in this particular score)...
And finally, there's the message..."never grow up". It's the same message from the original movie, but how it gets there is slightly different. As we watch Peter Banning remember and relive the life he left behind, we realize what he realizes; growing old doesn't mean you have to grow up...and you have to live...for that is the "great adventure".
At 2 hours and 20 minutes, the movie drags here and there a bit from time to time. And on no fault of the original production, the special effects of the film have not held up as well as they could have in the last 13 years. The movie is starting to look it's age. But I think no matter how old this movie gets, there will always be people who will be taken back by the simple premise of this movie and embrace it for the wonderful way it's taken the original Peter Pan story to a whole new level...and beyond.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spielberg's mistake in "Hook" is that he miscast the film, May 8 2004
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hook (Sous-titres français) [Import] (DVD)
I was totally enthralled by the dazzling remake of J.M. Barrie's classic story of the boy who did not grow up that came out last year from director P.J. Hogan. So I decided to go back and reconsider Steven Spielberg's 1991 film "Hook." In this version it turns out that Peter Pan did grow up. He fell in love with Wendy's granddaughter, Moira, decided to stay in our world, and does not remember anything that happened before the age of 12. With heavy-handed irony, Peter turns out to be a corporate raider (in other words, a pirate), who not only does not remember what it is like to be a child, he also ignores his own children. However, that all changes when Captain Hook makes his way to Granny Wendy's London home and kidnaps Peter's two children, Jack and Maggie. Tinkerbell shows up to help Peter remember who he is and take him to Never-Land to save the day.
A lot of Spielberg's films deal with the theme of the absent father and clearly a key part of "Hook" is that Peter, the father, remembers not only his true self but his own children. But the film does not provide the sense of magic we expect from Spielberg and I want to make the argument that the problem is not so much the story as it is the casting. You simply cannot have Robin Williams in a movie like this and not expect him to be Robin Williams, which means that several key scenes get spun in a way that is not necessarily in the best interest of the story. Throw into the mix Dustin Hoffman having fun playing Captain Hook, Bob Hoskins having almost as much fun playing Smee, and Julia Roberts as a very talkative Tinkerbell, and you have a lot of star power running around on screen.
The problem for me is what happens to Rufio, King of the Lost Boys, because that event changes the whole equation at play here. Because of what happens Peter cannot let Captain Hook off the hook, yet that is exactly what he does. I suppose it was too much for either Peter Pan or Robin Williams to do what had to be done in those circumstances, but this forces the film to come up with a way to have the right thing happen, albeit it in a comic way, without Peter having to get his hands dirty. Still I came back to what happened to Rufio and as the end game plays out in Never-Land I know in my heart that this is just not right.
The idea that the casting of the principles is off is confirmed for me when we get back to London town. The reaction of Caroline Goodall's Moira when her children come back and Maggie Smith's performance from start to finish as Granny Wendy seem to me to be grounded in the film that this one should have been. If Dame Maggie had been the only recognizable name in this film and the others had been even relative unknowns, then the message in "Hook" might have worked. In other words, this needed to be a Steven Spielberg film and not a Robin Williams movie. There is a lot of power to be mined from Barrie's original story, which is exactly what Hogan proved in creating the best "Peter Pan" movie of them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Rufio! Rufio! Rufioooooooooooooo!", June 17 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Hook (Bilingual) (DVD)
Why has this film been criticized? There's nothing to complain about Steven Spielberg's "Hook." It should be a classic; most people don't remember that it was nominated for a whole slew of Oscars.
First off, I'll cover the visuals. They're wonderful. The depiction of Neverland was incredible to behold. The effects and flying scenes nearly took my breath away, and the score by John Williams is truly magical.
And the performances worked. Robin Williams was a great choice for Peter Pan, and Dustin Hoffman hammed it up to perfection as Captain Hook. The story was pretty interesting, too. Peter Pan has lived his worst nightmare: he grew up, and has become a corporate "pirate." One night, while visiting Wendy (Maggie Smith) in London with his family, Captain Hook infiltrates the real world and kidnaps Peter's children. Even though he can't remember who he once was, Peter is aided by Tinker Bell (Julia Roberts), and journeys to Neverland to rescue his kids. The Lost Boys were hilarious, and Bob Hoskins stole the show as Hook's crooked assistant, Smee.
"Hook" is a film that people of all ages can enjoy. A rare combination of acting, storytelling, and visuals, we should add another movie to Spielberg's list of classics. This is magical, old-school entertainment at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, HORRIBLE DVD, May 16 2004
This review is from: Hook (Sous-titres français) [Import] (DVD)
Since there are so many other reviews available, I'll save my opinions on how great this film is and go straight to the DVD review.
First things first, the DVD version of "Hook" offers an increidble 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack that makes a huge difference if you've been getting by on the VHS edition. My room was shaking everytime the cannons went off with my surround sound. As for the picture, Hook has one of the most beautiful video transfers I've ever seen from a film to a disc. There were some absolutely gorgeous scenes of Neverland and spectacular menus.
Unfortunately, like most of Tri-Star's DVDs, this film is absent of extras. You get trailers for Hook and Jumanji, and some lame "Tallent Files" thing it looks like someone pulled off the Internet. That's it. They certainly have room on the disc for more, but I guess they're too lazy. With such a beatuful film transfer, a great director, and so many A-list actors, this DVD would be incredible packed full of featurettes and interviews. But alas, the viewer is resigned to wait until Tri-Star decides to release a REAL edition of this wonderful film on DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hook: Film Review, Dec 28 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Hook (VHS Tape)
Steven Spielberg's Hook is a fun-filled adventure. Peter Pan (Robin williams), has grown up! But when he discovers that his two children have been kidnapped by the evil Captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman) he is forced to return to Neverland, and with the help of Tinkerbell (Julia Roberts) and his faithful Lost Boys, re-discover his childhood memories and rescue his kids from his old enemy, intent on destroying him. This film is very enjoyable and is the kind you would purchase on video, due to its indefatagable pleasure. It is true that this is not one of Spielberg's finest films, and when compared to his epics such as Jaws and Schindler's List, it is very weak. However I feel it is worth watching if only to view Dustin Hoffman's first class interpretation of J.M. Barrie's classic villian. Bob Hoskins is also excellent as Hook's right-hand man, Smee. Although this movie lacks many qualities that would make it a "great film," Its funny, enjoyable and well-acted. The fencing battles are well-presented and the 15 minute action scene at the end of the movie is as exciting as anything you will see. All in all, Hook should be perceived as no more then what it is: An enjoyable family movie. Nothing magnificent as far as the film industry is concerned - but certainly worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bangarang, Indeed., Dec 23 2003
Heather (Manalapan, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hook (Sous-titres français) [Import] (DVD)
This is poosibly the greatest film of all time. I loved it as a kid and rediscovered its greatness now, as a teenager. I am a huge fan of all things Peter Pan, and this definitely includes Hook. Everything is fantisticly done. I for one, love the Neverland aspect of the movie and find the Lost Boys (not to mention Rufio, Rufio, RU-FI-000O!!!) greatly entertaining. The review trashing the little kids in the movie is nonsense. These are kids, we're talking about. They did an excellent job and they are all extremely funny. The actors all do such a magnificent job, as well as the writers. My friends, family, and I all have inside jokes that include lines from the movie. Some classic lines:
Jack: Bad form!
Lost boy: Man stop!
and this one:
Peter:He really did lose his marbles.
Lost Boy(I forget his name -ahh): Yeah, he lost 'em good.
There are so many funny and unforgettable lines, I can't even begin to post them.
So to everyone who purchases this film, BANGARANG!!
And to those who don't, BAD FORM!

2.0 out of 5 stars Hook..Whine, and Stinker!, Nov. 5 2003
This review is from: Hook (Sous-titres français) [Import] (DVD)
HOOK is only notable for its casting of Dustin Hoffman (Captain Hook), Robin Williams (Peter Pan), Julia Roberts(Tinkerbell?), and Bob Hoskins (Smee). The film starts off well with the grown-up Peter Pan (Williams) who is now Peter Banning with no memory of being Pan. He has grown-up problems, is unhappily married, has a couple of rotten kids, and is interested in chasing the big bucks. He goes to London to visit his Granny Wendy (Maggie Smith) to get some advice and recapture his lost youth. Suddenly his kids are kidnapped (by Captain Hook) he is forced to face his past (with the help of Tinkerbell/Roberts) and become Peter Pan and must go to Neverland. This is where the film falls. The children characters are not very likable (if not annoying) and Neverland looks like a cross between Disneyland and the sets of the original Star Trek when Kirk and crew are on some alien planet terrain. Speilberg's direction is haphazard and disjointed in the Neverland sequences as he uses the same type of direction he employed to make another failure of his (the film '1941'). Robin Williams is decent as Pan, but has no chemistry with the children who have no chemistry among themselves. Julia Roberts was truly a marketing ploy, but does a great job as Tinkerbell, and Hoffman has presence in everything he does but the film doesn't gel. Siskel and Ebert commented that Neverland had been explored all ready, so the filmakers should have had an urban/modern setting for the battle between Hook and Pan. That would have been interesting! The film is okay in the beginning exploring the questions of lost youth and the origin of 'Peter Banning', but overall, once the film shifts gears into fantasy, it fails. This is mainly because the 'Neverland'sequences are badly directed, the setting looks cheap, and the whiney children and all the inhabitants of Neverland are all terrible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grownup fun with a serious side..., Sept. 3 2003
Terry Downey (Naugatuck, Ct, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hook (Sous-titres français) [Import] (DVD)
I love grownup versions of classic children's stories, such as "Ever After" (a grownup Cinderella) and this movie, "Hook", a very grown-up Peter Pan. "Hook" takes a sobering look at the downside of being "grownup"- our propensity for taking ourselves and our responsibilities far too seriously, forgetting how to have fun along the way, and how it harms our relationships with our families, especially our children. Robin Williams as the grown-up Peter shows what a truly good actor he is in this movie, and that his comic genius is but one of his talents. Dustin Hoffman, always a show-stealer, does not disappoint. His "Hook" is at once funny and a very scary guy, at one point even killing the leader of the Lost Boys - this is definitely not your kids' Peter Pan. The supporting cast do an excellent job as well.
The visuals are imaginative and engaging, such as the child-pleasing bright crayon-colored foods at their banquets, and serve to remind us of how life is different through the eyes of a child - Bright green ketchup? Cool! - and what fun it was to "think outside the box" before it was educated and conformed out of us. Hook himself remembers this, and uses this knowledge to steal Peter's disillusioned son away from him, an act of revenge that forces Peter to re-learn the art of having fun in order to rescue him from the despicable Hook. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
On a more serious note, "Hook" is a cautionary tale to which many of us "grownups" need to pay close attention, living in a society as we do that places (or should I say "misplaces") so much emphysis on providing material goods - the newest, the biggest, the brightest, the best of everything - that we are in real danger of neglecting the one and only thing our kids really need - our time - time for guidance, time for teaching, time for discipline, and time for just plain fun. Hook is very real, and he manifests himself in terrifying ways - drugs, alcohol, sex, and the human predators that offer these to our children on a daily basis. I am very glad I bought this video, because I can take it out and watch it any time life gets too serious and I need a reminder of what is really important.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cute and entertaining., July 6 2003
Helena Troi (Midland, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hook (VHS Tape)
People can't seem to agree on how this movie is rated. Unfortunately, it might be a "love it or hate it" thing, in which case reviews are meaningless. I will go ahead and say that I LOVED this movie as a child (well, preteen), and all of my friends did too. I actually liked the Lost Boys, especially Rufio, whose whole character I found very interesting. I didn't like the skateboard bits, but if I were a little boy, I might.I absolutely LOVED Hoffman as Hook - he was funny and sinister all at the same time ("I'm going to do it, and don't try to stop me. Smee, don't you dare try to stop me, Smee, try to stop me. Smee! Try to stop me, I'm commiting suicide here!"). Robing Williams is excellent as always, and Pan's children do a fantastic job. I really empathized with the little girl when I was little. There are a few flaws (I didn't like Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell, actually), but overall this movie is definitely worth a rent. Good for the young and the young-at-heart (sorry for the corny line!), I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What "Lack of Magic"?, June 29 2003
This review is from: Hook (Sous-titres français) [Import] (DVD)
What if Peter Pan really did grow up? I beleive Mr. Speilburg got it right with this one. His capability is transmogrifying book to film is masterful. Although there are a few minute mistakes, such as Hook's hook suppossedly on the right rather than the left, this film invokes the soul of J.M. Barrie's magical story.

Robin Williams (Good Morning Vietnam) is a perfect choice for Peter Pan, now grown up and known as Peter Banning. Peter, whose past as a free-sprited and ageless Pan, has long forgotten Neverland. Instead his life is about stocks, cell-phones, and an ironic fear of heights. He comes home one night to find that both of his children, Jack and Maggie, have been kidnapped by none other than Captain Hook himself. Granny Wendy (Maggie Smith; Harry Potter I-II)tries hard to explain to him that only he can save his children, for he is really the great Peter Pan.
Dustin Hoffman's (Tootsie) portrayal as Captain James Hooks is remarkable. He emobodies the charecter with wonderful acting skill, right down to Hook's grace, manners, and a distorted belief of "good form". All of his pirate crew, including the lovable Mr. Smee (Bob Hoskins; Who Framed Roger Rabbit)put on a wonderful show.
I hope you enjoy following along with Peter makes as he makes his final trip to Neverland. And with the aid of Tinker Bell (Julia Roberts; Erin Brockavitch) and the Lost Boys, he must remember how to fight, how to crow, and most importantly how to fly, in order to save his own two children from the cunning and evil grasps of Capt. Jas. Hook.

Hook (Sous-titres français) [Import]
Hook (Sous-titres français) [Import] by Steven Spielberg (DVD - 2001)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 4.88