5.0 out of 5 stars Misdunderstood Beauty
Published on May 11 2002 by Magellen

3.0 out of 5 stars Snow globes & love
I came upon this movie by accident, one boring night on HBO, and I was immediately sucked in. This movie is only about love and all it's aspects; loss, obsession, euphoria, illusions, and ultimately it reflects pain, but what more should life hold for us but all of that...
Published on Feb. 10 2002 by dorisaurus

4.0 out of 5 stars eye of be holder, June 13 2014
This review is from: Eye Of The Beholder (DVD)
rated this way is, very interesting movies, another one of my favourite. my husband have sat and watched this movie and enjoyed it

5.0 out of 5 stars Misdunderstood Beauty, May 11 2002
This review is from: Eye Of The Beholder (DVD)
After reading several reviews of EYE, I noticed a disheartening trend, people were simply not understanding any of it and that people were panning it without any logic whatsoever. The film is quite excellent in fact. First, the film is absolutely beautiful to watch and watching it in letterbox form is a must. Second, the plot is more than just some Private Eye falling in love with one of his assignments, it involves the complexity and dynamic of two deeply hurt individuals who need each other even though they have never spoken with each other. I won't go into much more detail because I know it is worth seeing so I recommend it to anyone who has cared about another person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely Bewitching, Thoroughly Engrossing Film, Oct. 27 2002
By A Customer
This film is all about tone and mood and introversion. It's not the follow along plot line that we are used to in American cinema, but something much more surreal. The plot is intriguing, exciting, with the main characters capturing your interest right away as opposites with similar pain. I suppose what makes this a five star film to me is that it's like reading a really intense book (though I haven't read the book this is based on as of yet). You become submerged in the story, in the atmosphere... the credits come up and you're still trapped inside the film, full of contradicting emotions and ideas. I find that any movie that haunts me after I've seen it is rare. Having worked in a video store for four years, I've seen a great deal of movies and those rare few that can encapsulate you into thier world entirely are like strange jewels scattered among the same shelves with the usual gravel. I recommend this movie whole-heartedly, yet believe it is best viewed alone, perferably at night... might as well induldge yourself, after all it's about being in the dark, alone, watching someone else.
Don't expect anything ordinary or predictable about this plot. The characters are flawed creatures whose moves and motives change in a consistantly realistic way. The two characters actually switch roles as the film progresses. It's fascinating material.
Alright. Enough praise. Rent it. Why not? It's only a buck or two (unless you're going to some hideous chain store).
Clear your head and expect to get sucked in. Whether or not you like it or not, you'll be hypnotised...

1.0 out of 5 stars Only because I like Ashley Judd..., March 20 2004
K. Baumle (Ohio, USA) - See all my reviews
I like all kinds of movies, and especially the ones that make you think after they're over. All through this movie, I kept trying to 'get it,' and then when it was almost over, I thought to myself, "When it's over, I'll get it."
HA!
The only reason I gave this 1 star is because it has Ashley Judd in it. And giving her the 'star' for this film is stretching it a bit.
UGH.

4.0 out of 5 stars Craig's Review, Jan. 15 2004
This review is from: Eye of Beholder [Import] (VHS Tape)
Like Jeff Lyons (WNBC-TV) said "Stunning... Ashley Judd is mesmerizing!" I agree, and it is a great Thriller. Ewan McGGregor plays a great role as an intelligence agent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic Obession, Aug. 24 2002
I've owned this movie for 2 years now, and have come to the final conclusion that this is my all time favourite film. As close to perfection that I've seen in such a long time. The musical score provides a brilliant "manic" back-drop. The direction--simply superb. You have to be a pretty lifeless person to not be drawn into the plot, a plot which thickens with every passing second. The acting is superior, you really get a feel for the characters inner workings. It's very easy to sympathesize with their perspectives.
Regardless of the emotional wreckage and devious mindset surrounding the leads, I found their portrayals most enjoyable. All the while being drawn in, you want feel for them. You simply will not relate to this film if you don't understand a life of serious downs--all the while trying to keep an optimistic eye. It's the pleasures and wayward distractions that make life exciting after all.
Now the ending is a bit abrupt, and you find all emotions coming to a halt. But that is part of the effect the movie leaves on you. Making you want more, wanting more answers, wanting more emotional fullfillment--though yet you wouldn't want a single thing changed...
The critics and many average reviewers alike slam this movie with mass amounts of pesimistic negativity. They obviously missed the point and really don't know how dreary life can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars hmm, July 31 2002
This movie has to be the most bizarre thing I have ever seen. But, I loved it to death. The only way to like this movie though, is to be VERY open-minded. People who did not like it, all I can say is they were not open to the concept of the movie. It was fantastic, and Ewan McGregor was wonderful. He is a spectacular actor. I could watch it a 100 times.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst movies I've ever seen, July 29 2002
This review is from: Eye Of The Beholder (DVD)
If I could, I would not give this film a single star, but that category is not an option. I went into this film wanting to like it. I've greatly enjoyed the actors in most of their other works - Ewan McGregor, Ashley Judd, Genevieve Bujold - and I assumed that with such a great cast, there'd be a great story. I hoped, I watched, and with each minute the story became progressively worse. I hung on til the better end, hoping that something would happen to redeem the characters and the actors who played them, but maybe that was the point - to see how low someone could go. It was terribly disappointing and depressing, and I wish someone would have told me about it before I took a gamble on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a bag of crap..., July 21 2002
This review is from: Eye Of The Beholder (DVD)
This had to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The worst part of this movie were the woefully undeveloped characters of McGregor and Judd. McGregor's character has some sick and strange obsession with Judd's serial killer. The man lost a daughter. So what? This does not explain the reason he follows Judd around during the entire movie. He protects her several times throughout the film but he also nearly Kills Her! Judd's black widow serial killer is never really explained well either. Was she sexually abused, did her mommy hit her and call her names? Any thing that could have explained her character's reasons for being who she was were left out. McGregor and Judd were not to blame for this. Their performances were the best they could have been for this trainwreck. The fault for this disaster lies with the director and writer who translated this story film. With a better director and writer this might have been a taut psychological thriller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensual plot, stunning filmography, June 9 2002
Yu-mei Alexandria Chuko "meekdear" (Taipei, Taiwan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eye Of The Beholder (DVD)
I thought this story speaks to real life with theatrical beauty and poetic atmosphere. Ewan as a secret agent fell in love with a beautiful, mysterious, and psychologically scarred serial killer(Ashley). It's a love with little future, but at the same time extremely beautiful through director's poetic camera angle. I was breath-taken by this film.

Eye of Beholder [Import]
Eye of Beholder [Import] by Stephan Elliott (VHS Tape - 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 24.99