Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

on January 14, 2002
After a fall, I suffered from chronic leg pain for a period of 20 months before finding this book. For 20 months I spent countless hours seeing doctors, physical therapists, chiropractors, message therapists, and other health practitioners, including acupuncture. I was desperate to get well. I had made progress, but I still felt it very difficult to walk or move normally--I was still in essence "crippled," and I feared my life might never been normal again. Then I found this remarkable book. In the period of time it took me to read the first few chapters, I knew what the authors were suggesting would work for me. I was able to immediately implement the principles. I got up from where I was reading and began to walk completely normally for the first time in over a year and a half. Soon thereafter, I found myself bounding up stairs and skipping with joy. Three months later, I'm still doing great. I'm so happy to be "Free At Last!" If you suffer from chronic back, neck, or leg pain, I urge you to read this book. It may not have the same effect on you, but you have nothing to lose but your pain!
on June 22, 2015
It works. It's that simple. I have 3 herniated discs and suffered from chronic back pain for several years. Before my back injury, I was active and athletic. After the injury, I developed severe spasms that immobilized me completely for a few days and then left me with sciatic pain and constant low grade back pain, made worse by prolonged sitting, standing, and any attempts to lift weights. I am now at a point after reading this book where I can work out, almost without restriction. More importantly, thoughts of back pain do not preoccupy me. I would describe myself as generally cynical and was initially resistant the theory underlying this book. However, I decided to go all in and it has paid off. I think it is critical to the success of this book that is backed up with solid science )most of the time). The evidence that disproves the theory that structural issues in the spine are the cause of back and sciatic pain was particularly important for me to truly accept the recommended methodology. I still get the odd flare up of back pain, but I now know that it is nothing to worry about and it goes away very quickly, much like other minor and temporary aches in my body. If you are on the fence about this, give it a shot you will not regret it.
on October 26, 2001
I have had mild to moderate, with occasional severe, back pain for many years. Generally, the pain started when I was in graduate school. I thought that the long hours of sitting in class, reading and studying was damaging my "weak" back.
After reading this book, I started to realize how much stress was a major factor in my back pain. Just before I read the book I was visiting my chiropractor every week and getting a massage a couple times a month. I loved the treatments, but I was getting increasingly concerned that I had a serious problem with my back that was going to disable me, sooner, rather than later.
After finishing Backsense, I have stopped stressing about every twinge, tight muscle or pain in my back---and the pain has been much less and less frequent! I now enjoy my gym activities and play time with my children, knowing that my back is strong and healthy.
Backsense gave me a better understanding and confidence in the strength and durability of my back. It was easy to read and understand. Anyone searching for relief from back pain should read this book.
on September 26, 2001
I was a skeptic. After many years of spending thousands of dollars and countless hours with medical doctors and chiropractors, I could not believe that changing the way I thought about my pain could help me conquer the crippling spasms that had wracked my life for nearly 20 years. I had tried special exercises, surgical consults, CAT scans, and powerful medications- nothing could take away those episodes that left me in agony, tilting to one side as if severely wounded. These spasms attacked me repeatedly, leaving me incapacitated for weeks and months.
What I discovered through the Back Sense approach, was that the cure lay in three areas: The first, and most important, is the awareness that I should not fear the pain as something that was about to cripple me as it had done in the past. Nor should I react by favoring my back or avoiding normal activities that I worried might have strained it in the past. Finally, root causes of the pain invariably were in how I managed my own feelings, especially stress, worry, and sometimes anger.
I am now free of spasms, and no longer worry about my back. I urge you to read this book.
on August 10, 2001
When it seemed that nobody had any answers for me, I found them in this book. For close to a year I had been experiencing debilitating back and hip pain. I am a very active person, and in addition to suffering from the constant pain, I was beginning to become severely depressed as the level of my physical activity decreased. The book was able to provide answers to my questions as to what was happening to me, and also provide a method for reducing the pain and learning to deal with the causes. Neither of which had been forthcoming from doctors or physical therapists.
The book was easy to read and very simply laid out. The reasoning behind their recommendations appeared to be based on good science, and the scientific references that they provided added to the credibility of the statements. I also liked the fact that they emphasized the need for going through the usual diagnostic tests. The authors are then able to provide reasons for the pain and ways to work to reduce the pain and "get your life back". Most specialists will admit that surgery for a herniated disc will not reduce the pain. However, it seems that many doctors can provide their patients with no further direction or assistance.
The book made so much sense - and it has turned my life around. I would recommend it for anyone who has chronic back pain (or for that matter, any muscular/nerve-based pain). The same philosophy could be applied to any part of the body. I rate this book very highly
on January 3, 2004
Unlike most of what we are told by friends, family, and doctors, our back pain is not what we think. Ronald Siegel, Psy.D. et al. offers a new approach to our pain through research and his own personal experience.
The book describes the way in which we have been taught about back pain and I was surprised at how often I felt as though he were writing exactly what I had experienced. The book looks at research done on sufferers of back pain and by the end of it you have a whole new outlook on what has been causing your pain and, most importantly, a new way to work with that pain.
If you suffer from back issues, I hope you buy this book. Be ready for a new way to approach your back pain but I believe, through my own experience, you will be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!
on November 22, 2015
This book was the turning point for me 10 years ago when I was learning to manage back pain that had me thinking that I was going to be living a very different, much limited life. As I remember, I was reading the book and had made a decision to believe the premise that this was largely a product of my head space when my son contacted me with a big problem that he needed help with. I had been pain free for several days at that point, and his call put me into immediate, intense spasm. A lightbulb went on and I haven't looked back.
Read this book, if you open your mind to it it can change your life!
on June 14, 2002
I recently had to cut short a business trip due to extreme leg pain that lasted day and night. I went through the usual period of treatment by my GP with medications and rest before seeing a Surgeon. He recommended steroid shots and Chiropractric treatments. I found Back Sense and read it just after the shots. It confirmed what I had suspected for years. That my leg pain is directly related to stress. After reading and following the book I have had very good results. I recommend this book for anyone who has ever suffered from neck or back related pain.
on August 14, 2001
Back Sense provides a clear explanation of why so many back treatments do not work and why the "treatments" can actually contribute to prolonging the problem. The book illustrates how powerful the mind and emotions are and how they affect (at least) a variety of muscular problems. A little more discussion of guidance for dealing with those emotions would have been helpful.