4.0 out of 5 stars Serviceable, Prosaic
I don't think I was quite the right audience for this cookbook-for me, it rated a 3; but for the right person, it's a 4.
Published on Oct. 15 2002 by C. Ebeling

3.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to its promise
I bought this book because as a busy Mum and new vegetarian I needed some pointers on easy healthy cooking. However, I just didn't find many of the recipes appealing. I was also put off by the fact that, though each recipe has five ingredients or less, in order to make a balanced meal, you need to use three or four of the recipes. That's probably fine for a lot of people,...
Published on April 28 2003 by Shantiananda

4.0 out of 5 stars Serviceable, Prosaic, Oct. 15 2002
C. Ebeling "ctlpareader" (PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet: 250 Simple Recipes and Dozens of Healthy Menus for Eating Well Every Day (Paperback)
The right person for this book is seeking a way to make regular, balanced vegetarian (ovo-lacto) weeknight meals on the fly, who wants tried and true fare. Much is made of canned goods, dried herb blends, bottled salsa and salad dressings, frozen corn, and like ingredients that are easily found in supermarkets. This is strictly family food, not party impressive, with an eye on the fact that kids may be in the mix. There is little to chop, mostly there is throwing together in one pot or bowl. Menu suggestions are offered here and there, as well as basic helpful hints.
I need more originality and flavor than this book offers. The helpful hints are very basic. I appreciate the menu suggestions--I'm still learning about what goes with what in a vegetarian meal--but they were not consistently available. A different editor might have caught some inconsistencies in the text. An example: for the Split Pea and Barley Soup, there is a helpful hint on the same page on which it appears that reads something like, "Sometimes I like to add rice or barley to the Split Pea and Barley Soup (page 'x')." Well, yes, you might like to add barley since it is called for and yes, it is on page 'x', the same page you are reading at the moment. If you choose to do rice, do you substitute it for the barley? It does not elaborate.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite weeknight cookbook, Nov. 21 2002
By A Customer
I disagree with the previous reviewer. Everything I've made from this book is simple but tasty. That's the point of it. I stocked my pantry according to the author's suggestions and so there is always something easy and healthy I can make for my family, even if it is 6:30 and I am already brain-dead. Because the recipes are so clear and simple, if I am in the mood and time allows, I improvise on them. That makes it fun, too. I have a lot of cookbooks but this is the only one I use during the week. Not everyone in my family is vegetarian, but they are always happy with these meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vegetarian Cookbook With Food You'll Really Want to Eat, Dec 14 2002
A.B. (Tulsa, Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
I bought this cookbook for my mom, a vegetarian who seems to subsist on peanut butter and crackers and vitamins. The problem is that she doesn't seem to ever have the ingredients or the time to make good vegetarian dishes. And it doesn't help that my dad, an extreme carnivoire, insists on doing all the grocery shopping. This book is genius in it's ability to provide tasty recipes with very common and very few ingredients. In fact, the author gives a sample list of things to keep your pantry and refrigerator stocked with. The recipes are so appealing that I'm tempted to become a vegetarian myself. This is a recipe book that you will actually use on a regular basis rather than letting it look pretty on your shelf. And, it's fairly inexpensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, Dec 7 2008
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First off let me just say, I don't like cooking. I hate it. I am trying to eat more healthy though, and I want to move to more of plant based diet. This is the perfect book to do that. It isn't fancy (hard to do fancy with five or less ingredients) but it is healthy and tasty. Other books have 50 ways of tossing a green salad but this doesn't do that. It has simple ways of preparing foods such as beans, lentils, and tofu in an easy and non-intimidating way. All of the recipes that I have tried so far have turned out well and that encourages me to keep on trying new stuff.

I never intended to become a vegetarian, but going through this book I can plan meals (that I look forward to!) for weeks at a time without meat!
I don't think a book on vegetarian cooking can get a higher compliment :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure of a cookbook!, Aug. 19 2002
Melanie "mongoliamel" (Cass Lake, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
Hooray! This is the cookbook for which I have been waiting. In fact, if you are vegetarian or vegan, you have very likely been waiting for it, too. It truly has wide appeal. Whether you are a veggie teen, an active and over-committed adult, or a senior citizen wanting to keep it simple (as in easy), you will enjoy and value Nava Atlas' book as much as I do. There is so much I love about it, and only two things I would change; but they are teensy-weensy criticisms. First, about the recipes: true to her word, Ms. Atlas has somehow managed to create 250 recipes, each with five or less ingredients. You will find familiar stand-bys, as well as new and imaginative dishes. Looking for a hummus recipe? It's in there. How about veggie pizza? It's in there, too (twelve pages of pizza recipes-delicioso!) Do you enjoy a comforting, nourishing soup? Yep; you will find that, too, in "Chapter 1: Simplicity in a Soup Pot." What about tofu? I have been eating tofu regularly for nearly ten years now. You can imagine that my favorite tofu recipes no longer create much excitement at the dining table. Therefore, I am always on the lookout for an addition to my tofu repertoire. Was I ever excited to find an entire chapter ("Chapter 5: Essential Soy") devoted solely to tofu recipes! That's where I headed first.
There is so much more to The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet than recipes. If your mantra is, "I don't have [pick one or more] a) the time, b) the inclination, c) the know-how to successfully prepare a vegetarian or vegan meal," have no fear. Ms. Atlas has done all the thinking and the work (except the cooking, of course), including a complete shopping list for stocking your cupboards, menu suggestions for each and every recipe, a menu-planning guide, and nutritional statistics. There are even shopping list and planning forms that you may reproduce over and over again. My absolutely favorite thing about this book is that every chapter-indeed, nearly every page-includes interesting and fascinating information about the various recipe ingredients. Ms. Atlas has also provided numerous helpful hints regarding preparation. Remember the two teensy-weensy criticisms I had about The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet? One is that it has no color inside. I think it deserves more pizzazz than shades of gray. The other is that it is not in hardcover, and I fear this treasure of a cookbook will wear out long before I am ready. ...

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great cookbook!, June 24 2001
"mr_ducati" (Memphis, TN United States) - See all my reviews
I have been vegetarian(ovo-lacto) for over 10 years and I have plenty of vegetarian cookbooks, but this one will be a big workhorse in my kitchen. I am a mom and I work outside the home as well, and this book has given me hope and inspiration to get out of the "sandwich-pizza-frozen dinner" slump that I've been in. All the recipes in this book call for only 5 ingredients, but there are endless ways that you can change or add to the recipes. I made two of the recipes tonight and both came out really well (Cabbage, Carrot & Apricot Slaw and Red Pepper and Corn Quesadillas). Also, the prep didn't take that much time or require a lot of clean up. Many recipes can be made using fresh convienience foods like pre-shredded or chopped veggies and canned broth and tomatoes. There are a few recipes for kids and also menu suggestions for dinner, parties and potlucks. I think that this is a very well thought out addition to anyone's kitchen library.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not glamorous, but..., Sept. 18 2001
...I have to agree with the other reviewer--I think this will become a workhorse in my kitchen, too.
You'll be thankful you bought this cookbook when your grocery list isn't a half-mile long. In fact, you probably have half of the ingredients that each recipe calls for already. Nava Atlas also has some particularly good suggestions for stocking your pantry that you'll want to consider for these and other recipes. The dishes are quick to make, too.
The recipes feel simple and healthy--not heavy. I made several of the middle eastern-inspired dishes and was very pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, Good, & did I mention EASY!, Dec 19 2003
Perry Horner (Glendale, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
I have fallen in love with this cookbook. Not only does it contain a wide variety of great vegetarian dishes, but it draws from many ethnic cuisines. The best part is that my 3 year old son actually likes alot of the recipes I have made from this book - especially the mac n cheese recipe which is divine. When a cookbook can satisfy adult cravings for good, healthy food and not cause the kids to run from the table in fear I am impressed - very, very impressed. The best part is the 5 ingredient thing - it makes life so much easier at the end of a busy day.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this book, Dec 29 2002
if you work or have children. These are meals that work. They use normal ingredients and taste good. If you are looking for everyday food this is it. I have had this book about 4 months and love it. If you want to impress company with your skills try Voluptuous Vegan. But, if it is your family and friends coming over on Sat. night. This is still the cookbook to use. I want a cookbook that I can use and that I don't have to go to strange places to find the ingredients. I have children and work. I hope she does more cookbooks like this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Healthy, Delicious!!!!, Oct. 24 2001
D. Heller (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Having been a vegetarian my entire life, I am constantly on the lookout for cookbooks that suit my tastes yet are simple enough to fit my busy lifestyle. This cookbook combines creative cooking with practical advice, complete with calorie/cholesterol/fat content and suggestions of complementary dishes. Until now, I have never found a vegetarian cookbook that actually made me excited to try new foods! I highly recommend this cookbook to anyone who is vegetarian or would simply like to try eating a more healthy diet.

CDN$ 25.95 CDN$ 16.26