5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite weeknight cookbook

Gave it as a gift
Published 28 days ago by Andree Beckwith

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite weeknight cookbook, Nov. 21 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet: 250 Simple Recipes and Dozens of Healthy Menus for Eating Well Every Day (Paperback)
I disagree with the previous reviewer. Everything I've made from this book is simple but tasty. That's the point of it. I stocked my pantry according to the author's suggestions and so there is always something easy and healthy I can make for my family, even if it is 6:30 and I am already brain-dead. Because the recipes are so clear and simple, if I am in the mood and time allows, I improvise on them. That makes it fun, too. I have a lot of cookbooks but this is the only one I use during the week. Not everyone in my family is vegetarian, but they are always happy with these meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vegetarian Cookbook With Food You'll Really Want to Eat, Dec 14 2002
I bought this cookbook for my mom, a vegetarian who seems to subsist on peanut butter and crackers and vitamins. The problem is that she doesn't seem to ever have the ingredients or the time to make good vegetarian dishes. And it doesn't help that my dad, an extreme carnivoire, insists on doing all the grocery shopping. This book is genius in it's ability to provide tasty recipes with very common and very few ingredients. In fact, the author gives a sample list of things to keep your pantry and refrigerator stocked with. The recipes are so appealing that I'm tempted to become a vegetarian myself. This is a recipe book that you will actually use on a regular basis rather than letting it look pretty on your shelf. And, it's fairly inexpensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Serviceable, Prosaic, Oct. 15 2002
C. Ebeling "ctlpareader" (PA USA) - See all my reviews
I don't think I was quite the right audience for this cookbook-for me, it rated a 3; but for the right person, it's a 4.
The right person for this book is seeking a way to make regular, balanced vegetarian (ovo-lacto) weeknight meals on the fly, who wants tried and true fare. Much is made of canned goods, dried herb blends, bottled salsa and salad dressings, frozen corn, and like ingredients that are easily found in supermarkets. This is strictly family food, not party impressive, with an eye on the fact that kids may be in the mix. There is little to chop, mostly there is throwing together in one pot or bowl. Menu suggestions are offered here and there, as well as basic helpful hints.
I need more originality and flavor than this book offers. The helpful hints are very basic. I appreciate the menu suggestions--I'm still learning about what goes with what in a vegetarian meal--but they were not consistently available. A different editor might have caught some inconsistencies in the text. An example: for the Split Pea and Barley Soup, there is a helpful hint on the same page on which it appears that reads something like, "Sometimes I like to add rice or barley to the Split Pea and Barley Soup (page 'x')." Well, yes, you might like to add barley since it is called for and yes, it is on page 'x', the same page you are reading at the moment. If you choose to do rice, do you substitute it for the barley? It does not elaborate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, March 7 2004
Carolyn Nye (delaware) - See all my reviews
I decided to buy a vegetarian cook book to try and cook mostly vegetarian at home. The recipes were delicious, quick, easy and healthy too. I've decided to only eat vegetarian at home because of this book and am now collecting Atlas's other books.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, June 27 2014
Gave it as a gift

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Dec 7 2013
I use this cookbook all the time, very simple recipes ... great for a fast easy meal. I like that she has recommendations for complementary sides, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, July 17 2013
justagirl (Toronto, Ontario.Canada) - See all my reviews
Got a lot of use from this. Easy to follow and a quick read. Would recommend this book to all

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, Jan. 31 2013
Pictures would have helped make this book better. Although the recipes are quick easy to follow and ultimately that's what I wanted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to its promise, April 28 2003
Mary Pagendam-Turner "Mary PT" (Chapel Hill, Queensland Australia) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because as a busy Mum and new vegetarian I needed some pointers on easy healthy cooking. However, I just didn't find many of the recipes appealing. I was also put off by the fact that, though each recipe has five ingredients or less, in order to make a balanced meal, you need to use three or four of the recipes. That's probably fine for a lot of people, but I find that overwhelming to co-ordinate. However, I do think that, for what it is, it lives up to it's promise. It is a book of uncomplicated healthy recipes for busy people. I find it best as a jumping off point - a place to get ideas that I can jazz up with my own touches. However I think it is most likely to star as my husbands favourite cookbook. He is a fairly inexperienced cook who is striving to become more self-reliant in the kitchen. He finds the long lists of ingredients and detailed instructions in most of my cookbooks overwhelming (as would I if I didn't know how to cut corners) and finds the idea of cooking from this book more acceptable. I hope he starts soon! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, Dec 7 2008
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First off let me just say, I don't like cooking. I hate it. I am trying to eat more healthy though, and I want to move to more of plant based diet. This is the perfect book to do that. It isn't fancy (hard to do fancy with five or less ingredients) but it is healthy and tasty. Other books have 50 ways of tossing a green salad but this doesn't do that. It has simple ways of preparing foods such as beans, lentils, and tofu in an easy and non-intimidating way. All of the recipes that I have tried so far have turned out well and that encourages me to keep on trying new stuff.

I never intended to become a vegetarian, but going through this book I can plan meals (that I look forward to!) for weeks at a time without meat!
I don't think a book on vegetarian cooking can get a higher compliment :)

CDN$ 25.95 CDN$ 16.26