countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 9, 2003
I am learning calligraphy and have looked at a number of books on the subject. This book is, for most purposes, excellent. She gives you so much more than alphabets: key exercises to do before you start the alphabets, typical beginner's problems (most of which I have experienced!), practice pages you can reproduce. Her sections on swashes and "accessorizing" Gothic capitals are also wonderful - what had always seemed highly mysterious to me turns out to be a matter of combining building blocks, creativity, and - who would have thought - a lot of fun.
The only small drawback, if it is one, is that the book doesn't contain a lot that is good to know about techniques of setting up a drawing table, selling, etc. For that (as well as an excellent chapter on type design by Hermann Zapf himself), the book "Calligraphy and Illumination" provides more than you ever wanted to know. I don't think that book replaces this one, however - I find Margaret's explanations well worth the small amount this book costs. She'll even autograph it for you (see her web site for details).
This is a wonderful book that every calligraphy student should have.
on November 28, 2001
This is the book I use as a text for beginning calligraphy students at the local community college. All the text is handlettered and there are many examples of how to use calligraphy in everyday life. I've used Margaret Shepherd's books since the '70's, and this is the best one she's done for beginning to intermediate students. It is both instructive and inspiring.
on May 19, 2002
After many years, I restarted calligraphy again with this book. It is straight forward and easy to use. If you are thinking of learning calligraphy on your own, this is one of the books to have. It gives you practical guidance, not just alphabets.
on September 10, 2001
I simply LOVE this book: it's fun and easy and improves your lettering and calligraphy in an easy way. I practice calligraphy since 10 years, but still I found in this book some "shortcut" to make my works more accurate.
Great space for practicing, lots of alphabets shown, a nice way to introduce arguments ... a must have book for all calligraphers.
on September 30, 2013
My only complaint about this book is the poor editing. Otherwise it is excellent. I highly recommend it if you're interested in a basic book on learning calligraphy.
on April 23, 2013
I got this as a gift for daughter-in-law who is interested in Calligraphy. I looked thru the book after it arrived. It is instructional and interesting. I would recommend this book.
on December 21, 2014
Very nice book! Written in the author's own calligraphy, this book goes over the most common calligraphic scripts through Western written history and not only presents the scripts but also gives a lot of background/history and description on the letterforms. A good tool even for a habitual amateur calligrapher to refine or a pick up a new script.
on June 18, 2015
Maybe I'm just stubborn or incompetent but a lot of the easier stuff in this book I could not grasp.
on June 18, 2016
Is probably a good reference. Not as detailed in instruction as I prefer. The number of typos is VERY distracting; I probably rated it lower because of them.
on December 11, 2015
The book is pretty good itself. My only complain is the font. It is pretty difficult to read.