5.0 out of 5 stars We've seen it with our own eyes
This book is one of 3 that changed our family's life. (Facing autism which made us know in our hearts the diagnosis was right & William shaw's book which details more of the science of this stuff are the other two.)I believe that there are many reasons children are on the autistic spectrum and that this book will only help some.
Our son now 4 1/2 was diagnosed with...
Published on Sept. 27 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read.
I don't know if I totally agree with her theories on the extreme diet, but the book is interesting no less.
Published on June 12 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Explaining the Mysteries of Autism, Sept. 29 2002
"rjh-sl" (Sugar Land, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Karyn's book was one of the first I read after the confirmation of autism for my son. We had participated in the tests and investigations trying to isolate and identify the developmental delays in his growth. With this book I felt the kindred frustration trying to understand my child's problem, and anxiety over his future. More important than sympathetic experiences, she writes as a guide and a tutor for a parent's quest to help attack the problems and causes of autism.
This is a wonderful book, well-written, and an excellant introduction into many of the complicated and controversial issues associated with autism and the research identifying the possible causes of this spectrum of disorders.
I strongly recommend Karyn Seroussi's book for all parents facing the trials of raising a child diagnosed with autism.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best darn book - it's a must read, Sept. 11 2002
I read this book in a day after getting it from the library. Because it was so good I ordered a copy from here. I use it as reference alot. Another one I suggest is Biological Treatments for Autism and PDD by William Shaw another must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning trouble, mild PDD and even whinning children, July 18 2002
By A Customer
This book answered so many questions I had about children that would not be considered even remotely autistic. It has helped solve so many behavioral problems with my children. Whinning has disappeared, maturity levels have increased, and a generel "brain fog" has lifted.
When I first picked the book up, I was prepared to force myself to "get through it". I do not enjoy reading clinical material. This book was not what I expected at all. It was actually a real page turner! I had trouble putting it down at night because I was so excited about what I find on the next page.
If your child falls anywhere on the spectrum, from AD(H)D to PDD or autism, this in an extremely valuable book. You will save yourself hundreds of hours in research and be led in directions you may never have thought of.

1.0 out of 5 stars Primary focus is diet and food allergies, July 14 2002
By A Customer
This book starts out as an interesting study of autism and one mother's struggle but very quickly deteriorates wholly into food allergies and diet as a cure. Read this book only if you are interested in these issues - not if you are interested in autism in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST HAVE FOR PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH AUTISM, June 15 2002
By A Customer
Karyn Seroussi is a very strong and intelligent mother of an autistic child. She has been an asset to parents of children with autism everywhere. Her writing revealed a determined mother who kept going until her son and many others "recovered" from autism. The book was clear, concise and easy to read for parents just beginning on the journey. Her suggestions have been wonderful for our son and family. In addition, the suggestions for dietary intervention and website ... have been beneficial. Recommend for parents or any loved ones of an autistic child.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read., June 12 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Life saver, April 8 2002
Within a few minutes of reading Karyn's book, I felt new hope for my son. If you believe that your child may be suffering from Autism, you OWE it to your child to read this book. If your pediatrician trys to discourage you, DO NOT LISTEN. If your friends or family attempt to discourage you, DO NOT LISTEN. This book can possibly save your child from a life of autism. It truly has been a life saver for my family.
The book is extremely well written and despite the material, Karyn makes it enjoyable to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally....Help, Feb. 2 2002
"ginathemom" (Reisterstown, Maryland) - See all my reviews
Hats off to Karyn Seroussi, what a hero. I found this book to be more helpful than any shred of information I have been given by my own child's doctor. As a parent with a child going through a similar medical journey, this book has given me the knowledge for alternate treatments as well as the courage and strength to use them. She may have saved my son instead of her own this time, my only regret is that I did not find this book a year and a half earlier. This should be a read for all parents not just the ones that fit into the "Autistic Spectrum".

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Worth Reading!, Jan. 9 2002
This book tracks the journey one family made after discovering their child had autism. It was the very first book I read after my own child was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder or PDD-NOS for short. The book is my absolute favorite resource and it has totally changed my child's developmental life.
Karyn Seroussi, a mother and freelance writer, teams up with her husband, who is a scientist, in their own quest to answer some key questions about their son's autism. The discover many things, including answers to their child's unusual symptoms and autistic-like behaviors. We all wonder why our autistic children "stim" and behave so strangly. This book explains why dietary intervention may be key to the reversal of the progression of autism for some children.
The book is full of pertinent information for any parent who wants to truly "attack" the main causes of autism at their core. According to the author, and backed by the reputable Bernard Rimland (specializes in autism and autism research), research shows that many (if not all) autistic children behave abnormally due to a digestive-system defect. I won't go into the details...but I urge readers to purchase or borrow this book and make their own conclusions.
On a personal note, I would like to thank Karyn Seroussi and Bernard Rimland for their dedication and information. My child has been on the dietary intervention described in this book for a year. It was tough at first, but it has now become a way of life for our family. Our son is very particular about what he eats...it has to be the right consistency and texture...so this was no easy task. But without this diet, my child would still be "stimming" every moment of every day. Within four weeks of starting this diet, my child had his first solid bowel movements...ever. His eye-contact increased by 45%, he started making regular facial expressions (smiling, etc.), he LOOKED at me (not through me) regularly, and he became social. After eight weeks, he was a totally different child! We also chose to do Applied Behavioral Analysis (behavior modification therapy) with him. I credit his ability to focus and learn to this diet! Did I forget to mention that his behavior changed as well? He "self-regulates" now only after he has eaten a forbidden food. All of the behaviors, i.e: hand-flapping, finger motions, head motions, eye fixations, head-banging, tantruming, etc. disappeared!!!!! He began talking as well.
The diet worked for our son, and now he is no longer considered autistic. Like I said before, I highly recommend this book for anyone who is truly and honestly dedicated to the recovery of their son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book and Worth a Read if your child has autism or PDD, Sept. 8 2001
By A Customer
This is an excellent book and would be very useful for parents who want to try the GFCF diet. It also helped me understand the factors that lead to my son's diagnosis of PDD. I have applied the gluten-free, casein free diet and additional interventions such as craniosacral therapy, supplements, homeopathic remedies, homoepathic nosods (so far just MMR). My son has made remarkable progress. This book has been very beneficial as reference for my husband and I on our journey to help my son. Most of all it gave me hope when I felt very overwhelmed with the biological treatments for PDD. As the book suggests, strictly adhering to the diet without a trace or gluten or casein is a must if you are to see results. It took us a month or so to notice a big difference.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›