5.0 out of 5 stars We've seen it with our own eyes
This book is one of 3 that changed our family's life. (Facing autism which made us know in our hearts the diagnosis was right & William shaw's book which details more of the science of this stuff are the other two.)I believe that there are many reasons children are on the autistic spectrum and that this book will only help some.
Our son now 4 1/2 was diagnosed with...
Published on Sept. 27 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Would that it Were so Simple
Published on Oct. 6 2000 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Would that it Were so Simple, Oct. 6 2000
Karen Seroussi has woven a remarkable, well-written story of her son's recovery from Autism through tedious dietary interventions. Her offering of recipes gives the parents considering the diet for their children a place from where to start. As the mother of two Autistic children myself, I felt compelled to read it, even though a grueling 18 month trial of the diet in our home offered few, if any, results, other than depriving my sons of what foods they were willing to eat.
Seroussi is a gifted writer, and tells her story from her mother's heart. But facets of her story disturbed me deeply. After reading this book, I felt my choice to live as a mother who has come to accept her children's Autism and lead them towards a good life in spite of grim prognoses was viewed by the author as something to feel ashamed of. While this may not have been Seroussi's intent, the insistence that something is wrong with parents who don't try her techniques, or tried the diet and had it fail are somehow lacking was very bothersome to my heart.
Granted, dietary interventions have helped many Autistic children. However, this his book implicates that any parent who does not attempt the diet which benefitted Ms. Seroussi's son is failing his/her child. Children who respond to diet are most specifically those showing a serum IGE response to specific allergens and gliadin antibodies. I'd strongly recommend any parent who considers putting a child through such a restrictive regime will get the bloodwork done first. This diet is not easy to implement and it is not easy to encourage an older child to follow it when away from home.
This book tells a rare, triumphant story. It is well documented, and worth a read. But please, don't see diet as a cure-all if the techniques outlined simply don't work for your child. The sad truth is, if diet were the cure, there would be no Autism.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, Oct. 2 2000
This was the first book I read in the beginning of our quest to help my stepson become a more functional complete person (he's "PDD-with autistic...yada yada"). This book gives an excellent overview of the gluten-free/casine free and digestive system treatments and digestive-system-based etymology behind autism..
Not all autistic-spectrum kids will have this etymology, but ours does. Will your kid eat a loaf of bread if given the chance? Does he want a gallon of milk? Does he drink more water than you......right before bed? Does he eat the lemon slice from your iced tea? Did he have horrid ear infections and take constant anti-biotics? He just MIGHT be one of these kids who the diet/vitamin therapy will help!
As for the book, you'll need recipies/advice/etc that is not in here...but if you're just getting started or are interested in learning mroe about this treatment and evaluating your kid for it, then this is your book.
Serroussi is an excellent writer! My wife is a less-than-avid reader and she devoured the first 100 pages in an afternoon. If your facing autism without a related genetic disorder (such as fragile-x) then this book is a MUST read.
Since beginning the diet in may or so, my stepson now constructs basic sentances, actually interacts with other children and countless other improvements. He's not cured by any means, but we are confident that he'll grow into a functional adult.
I owe Serroussi big for that! To think, I only stumbled onto this book by chance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine book flawed by attitude toward those might disagree, Aug. 22 2000
By A Customer
I read this book in one sitting, and found much that interested me greatly. I was far more convinced by it than by anything else I have read to think more about a special diet for my autistic spectrum child, and was also fascinated by the many other theories touched on here---the connection between autism and auto-immune disorders, ideas about mothers for whom the MMR vaccine doesn't "take" and having a child with autism, etc. However, a few things about this book disturbed me. Although the book does state that the very restricted special diet seems to only work in 1 of 3 children with autism, the author seems to have quite a bit of anger and disdain for parents who chose not to try the diet---I was really troubled by her description of a scene in a grocery store after a meeting with a parent who had not been convinved to try the diet. I feel quite sure I know what at least partially caused my child's autism, and although I am extremely open to and interested in all theories and ideas on how to help him, I do not want to be judged for not trying any certain one. However, if you do have a child with autism, I think that it's worth reading this book, as it's well written, and making a decision on your own as to what to do with what you do with what you read here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book. Buy it. Buy a few., June 27 2000
By A Customer
After buying and reading Karyn's remarkable book a few months ago, I have had great difficulty keeping track of who I have promised to lend it to next. No teacher, therapist, parent, or professional has it long, because they read through so quickly. Frankly, I really miss having my copy at home. I guess I'll just have to buy another one, donate it to our library and refer all borrows there. I am grateful that there so many people impressed, having witnessed my son's improvements through dietary intervention over the last year, that they are lined up to learn more. It is revealing that providers of other interventions are beginning to advocate for dietary intervention. Where I live, it is becoming fast appreciated that dietary intervention needs to be tested by parents as a complimentary intervention to other autism therapies. I am grateful to Karyn & Miles for sharing their story. Theirs is a phenomenal contribution to spreading the message of the diet and a striking insight to the experience of so many families now facing a diagnosis of autism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformed Sceptic, June 16 2000
By A Customer
I am the father of a 3 1/2 year son who has been diagnosed with Autism just four months ago. I am a natural sceptic and a person who typically relies on empirical evidence, especially when it comes to medicine. I read Ms. Seroussi's book and questioned a great deal of the information and considered some of its assertions as 'fringe' thinking. However, a few things she descibed about her son and his development struck a cord: numerous ear infections, an almost drug-like haze over my son, and finally - milk. He drank a ton of it and always wanted more. Six months ago, we found out his 6 week old sister was in fact allergic to milk, and food allergies tend to be hereditary. The parallels were compelling. We consulted our physicain about doing a complete allergy test on him and she was reluctant because he showed no outward signs (rashes, bumps, diarrhea). The specialist who treated my daughter was also sceptical but agreed to run some tests. The results ... a severe milk allergy and an allergy to wheat. Both practitioners were shocked and taken back. FINALLY! We are on to something. If we had not read this book, chances are we would not have known about some of these intertwined relationships that could lead to or complicate autism. There is probably no silver bullet and it may not be true for your child, but you should unquestionably read this book to find out about emerging thoughts on the causes and treatment of autism. This sceptic is not so sceptical any more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous,beautifully written story ALL parents should read, April 10 2000
By A Customer
As a psychologist interested in learning disabilities and the brain; as a patient who was also treated for depression, panic attacks, chronic fatigue and intestinal illness through food allery diagnosis and treatment which was incredibly successful; and as a woman with a close relative who is autistic, I appreciated this well-written, beautifully presented story of a boy and his parents who cared to take the time to research his disease, to challenge the negligent and rigid traditional medical community, to find and persist with a cure, and to sacrifice their time to spread the word to the far too many families with children suffering from the epidemic of autism or developmental problems/learning disablities. We hear too often of parents who simply accept a diagnosis and put their children on the current drug (e.g., ritalin) without bothering to actually behave like parents and use sound judgement and their parental instincts. Karyn is a hero in her son's life and in the growing effort to publicize the dangers of the intense battery of vaccinations given to babies at far too early an age. Her book is not bitter, however, but inspiring. You'll hear about Miles' symptoms and behaviors, about Karyn's concerns and fears, of pioneering psychologists and physicians who literally risk their careers on finding the source and cure for autism. Karyn details all her experiences from discoveries that opiate byproducts are found in autistic children's urine (e.g., some reaction is going on in their bodies that is like putting them on hallucinogenic drugs), using the food elimination diet on Miles and finding miraculous results, working with other mothers and their "autistic" children, interacting with physicians who were finding clues and treatments such as Secretin (including her husband, a research scientist). Karyn's life completely changed with the diagnosis of autism, and always at the back of her mind is the suspicion concerning Miles' vaccinations -- until this book even offers the experimental proof found though denied and ignored by the medical community and the pharmaceutical companies manufacturing the "cash-cow" vaccines. Parents who trust medical experts need to read this book to realize in just what poor, ill-informed, close-minded, and unconcerned hands their children (and themselves,too) can be. The author goes further and tells her own and her husband's stories, and she even uses the food allergy principles to cure her chronic fatigue. This is a dramatic story, told humbly. It is fascinating reading simply as the biography of a disease. I don't believe I've ever encountered a book that I could recommend more than this one, for any person who wants to lead a better quality life. NOTE: the diet Karyn used for her son, including recipes, is included, as well as info on websites and organizations.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW. Finally!, Feb. 28 2000
Maybe, like me, you have considered drugs for your autistic child, but have been understandably reluctant. Maybe you are overwhelmed by the vast amounts of information bombarding you daily concerning the causes of autism. Maybe your educational intervention progran hasn't quite worked as well as you hoped it would.
If so, get this book. It deserves a place right next to Catherine Maurice's groundbreaking book on intervention through educational methods, LET ME HEAR YOUR VOICE. Actually, it deserves a place of honor right on your kitchen table, where you can refer to it everyday, easily. What Catherine Maurice did for education vis vis autistic children, this book does for dietary intervention.
Karyn Seroussi has written a practical, clear, acessible book about how your child's diet can affect his/her whole way of living in our world. She posits that the health (particularly, a damaged immune system) of your child is one of the major reasons your child diplays autistic behaviors. She has incorporated her own child, Miles, and her own family, in a most compassionate and perceptive way to demonstrate this. I found that, in and of itself, a comfort. We are all in this together, aren't we? We need to help each other. This book is all about helping OUR CHILDREN get better.
Parents of autistic children have it hard enough without having to sift through the incredible, time consuming theories and treatments that come our way daily. Karyn covers all of these and makes them understandable. She explains things. Then she gives you step by step directions to follow to actually improve the health of your own autistic child (or in my case, autistic children: I have two!) This book makes so much sense and is so exciting to read, I wrote this review as soon as I finished it. Even if my own children do not experience the same remarkable recovery that Karyn's son Miles did (she caught his autism really early), I know, from my other reading, that this book ultimately makes total sense... and that my sons will be immeasurably improved. For that, I am incredibly grateful. Thank you, Karyn Seroussi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book first!, Feb. 7 2000
Tina Salameh (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
Karen Seroussi's book is an excellent summary of information I pulled from many different sources - including the internet and tapes of DAN! Conferences. If I had been able to read her book immediately after my son's diagnosis, rather than waiting to find the information from many different sources and then assessing it myself, (without, of course, the true support of our pediatrician) then maybe my son would be even further along than he already is. And he is doing amazingly well.
Karen has written an outstanding book. It reads like a John Grisham book - like when I read John Grisham, I could not put it down, and was up until 3:00 a.m. to finish it!
While this therapy may not be the path of choice for every family, I believe that every family must be aware of it as an option. This book is a must read for anyone who knows a family dealing with autism. I already know of two families who are going to put their child on a gluten/casein free diet simply because of the Parents magazine article which is a summary of this book.
I would love to have a copy to give every family with a very young child just receiving a diagnosis! Especially those who may not be inclined to do research on their own and who will wait for their doctor to tell them what to do. Better yet, I wish I had a copy for every pediatrician!
It was on Amazon.com, while reading a parent discuss his opinion of William Shaw's book, that I realized my son had symptoms I had not even thought of. I hope that this book will guide you to a therapy that you may not have known of or may not have considered otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound science on the road to recovery from autism, Feb. 1 2000
Fresh from the printer I just got Karyn Seroussis book on how her son recovered from autism on a diet free of gluten and casein. I started reading it and couldn't put it down before I had read the last paragraph. Maybe if I hadn't been in a position of seeing for myself the amazing difference of applying the diet, I might have thought the whole idea ludicrous. But while reading this success story I am also seeing for myself, in my own home, the practical effects of a diet free of gluten and protein from milk, on my own son. It makes me want to say to every parent in this world with a child diagnosed with autism or Autism Spectrum Disorders: Don't lose hope! There is a lot that can be done! Maybe not every child can recover but every child can have a better life! In this endeavour Karyn Seroussi has been one of the pioneers. It is important to point out that Seroussi is a woman with a very clear, scientific mind - this is not new age magic. Behind the practice of the diet there is an elaborate scientific theory on peptides not broken down properly in the gut, interfering in an irregular and morphine-like way with the opiate receptors in the brain and causing all sorts of damage in the process. Unraveling these lines of reasoning is straightforward science, but at the same time also a story of suspense. A few years ago Catherine Maurice's book "Let Me Hear Your Voice" meant a breakthrough and a wider acceptance for ABA-therapy for children with autism - I am convinced Seroussis book will have the same kind of inpact for dietary and other biological interventions for children with autism. This will mean saving the lives of hundreds, maybe thousands of children. Seroussis book is both deeply personal and also very clear, with a lot of straightforward and simple advice. It's the kind of book I would love to see in an Oprah show discussing what can be done for kids afflicted with one of the most difficult handicaps there is. This book is a must for everyone trying to come to terms with one of the most devastating things that can happen to a child - regardless of whether you're a parent, a sister or brother, a grandparent or just a compassionate human being. And what's more, it is a book that gives you hope and shows you a way to go forward. This hope is dearly needed: Autism is an epidemic on the rise - statistics show an increase by several 100s %in the last few years. No one yet knows the reason - but in her book Serrousi gives us some of the instruments to start fighting back. I would recommend this book specially to those who have recently started their journey with a very special child - it is often heartbreaking and sad and extremely tiring - and you may even blame yourself at some point. But take a deep breath - soon you will walk the road of the diet together. You're both worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Give Up Until You Read This!!!, May 31 2001
A. OMalley - See all my reviews
A year ago, when my son was diagnosed, I read William Shaw's book about biological interventions. It scared me to death. I decided to bag the whole idea of changing my little one's diet. I thought this was a bunch of junk. Fortunately, I decided to investigate this intervention again with Ms. Seroussi's book. I am so thankful that I did. Not only is Karyn Seroussi a great writer, she completely sold me on the idea of trying the diet. She is so passionate, and gives wonderful, heartfelt advice. And my son is responding. It is hard to get started, but once you become used to the idea, it becomes second nature. If you have been skeptical, or worse, your child's doctor advises that this doesn't work- as mine did- give this book a chance. It is so worth it. I'm just sorry I lost a year in the process. We, as parents, would do ANYTHING to help our kids, so why not this? Try it, and READ THIS BOOK!!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72