4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as helpful as I'd hoped
Published on Aug. 27 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, June 30 2012
This review is from: Inconceivable: A Woman's Triumph over Despair and Statistics (Paperback)
This well written, emotional book is loaded with wisdom. For couples who are struggling within a conventional medical system to get pregnant, this book gives hope. The author goes through very specific illustrations of what she and her husband did in order to achieve fertility and, ultimately, pregnancy and a baby. When she was told there was really no hope of conceiving a baby on her own, she went forth and did just that. This book is loaded with ideas and inspiration and was just a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read!, June 28 2004
By A Customer
I started reading this book as soon as it arrived and finished it in two days. I agree that diet, mind and exercise play a vital role in infertility. This book has given me inspiration to continue to improve myself in hopes that I will eventually conceive and carry a child to term.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiration!, Jan. 14 2004
Penny (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
Far from adopting the attitude that "all infertility doctors are jerks and out to take their patients' money" as one reviewer asserts, Indichova sought alternatives when her doctors gave her no hope of conceiving with her own eggs. In conjunction with adopting a myriad of lifestyle, dietary and other changes, Indichova continued to periodically assess her medical condition with conventional Western doctors. In fact, if this reviewer had really read the book carefully, he/she would have remembered that Indichova had an appointment with yet another RE to discuss the viability of an ART procedure based her decreasing FSH levels on the day that she learned she had beat the odds and conceived her much-wanted second child!
Some of the reviewers seem to have a negative attitude about anything that doesn't fall within the strictures of conventional Western medicine and thereby assign the corrollary attitude (incorrectly!) to Indichova (that she is into "hocus pocus" and "wacko" stuff and disparages Western medicine (she does not).
I will agree with the reviewers who've noted that this may be a tough book to swallow for those infertility patients who are struggling with primary infertility *and* have never conceived any children. Indichova suffered secondary infertility, and until I emotionally reached the point where I desperately want a 2nd child (my first miracle baby was IVF 3 years ago), I too would have had little sympathy for someone in Indichova's position. My perspective now is definitely different, but women who've never conceived any children should be forewarned of Indichova's situation.
I've been diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve, and though my FSH numbers aren't high, I've been largely written off as a lost cause by Western medicine. I have found new hope and inspiration in reading Indichova's story, and I'm grateful that she wrote this wonderful account. I'm certainly willing to give some or most of her ideas a try! I've adopted many of her suggestions over the last few weeks and I already feel better, regardless of whether my body is producing a good egg this cycle. True that she has no scientific backup to support what she did ... maybe all those dietary and lifestyle changes did absolutely nothing toward her second pregnancy. But maybe they did. Maybe they did.
This review has been edited in June 2003 to say that I am now 12 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child, conceiving 3 months after I adopted many of Indichova's suggested dietary and lifestyle changes. Thanks for the inspiration!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You, Ms. Indichova!!, Nov. 24 2003
By A Customer
As a 37 year old IF woman, with high FSH, I thought all was lost. Then I found this book. With an FSH of 25, and doctors all telling me that I could never have a child of my own without an egg donor, life looked very bleak to me. But upon reading this book, I decided to make some life changes. I gave up going out to lunch (and brown bagged it instead) and going to movies (nothing wrong with renting) to be able to do my acupuncture sessions. I also bought yoga tapes and guided imagery tapes, and started drinking wheatgrass. I did not do the vegetarian diet though. From 25, my FSH is now 9. While I will still go through with my IVF, I am going into it with absolute belief that it is finally going to happen for me.
When I received the results, I was overjoyed. And my doctors were shocked. They continued to test my FSH because they were sure it was an anomaly. They've been disappointed in seeing that my tests remain within a healthy range. I would encourage any and all who believe that in their body lies the key to fertility to at least give it a shot.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much to learn here, if you suffer from IF, Sept. 9 2003
By A Customer
I bought this book because it had been recommended to me by no fewer than a dozen women who also suffer from high FSH and a concomitant diagnosis of infertility. I was incredibly disappointed.
This is nothing more than the story of a woman who adopted the common mentality of "all IF doctors are jerks and don't want to help you" and embarked on a new age adventure in hocus pocus. Yes, some of the ideas in here are valid (healthy eating habits, working through depression with yoga and other exercise techniques), but there's no definitive lesson here for IF sufferers. Worse, it sends the message that all Western medicine is bad, and all Eastern medicine is good. And that the answers to IF can be found in your local Whole Foods market.
There's never any acknowledgment that a combination of approaches can be undertaken with success--leaving the impression that all Western medicine should be abandoned and that one should contact the local witch doctor (which this author did). That's bad advice, and unfortunately, too many women are taking it.
I'm glad Ms. Indichova got lucky and had her baby. It does give me hope. But I am not persuaded at all that her regimen is to be credited. Some women just beat the odds--and maybe that's what happened here. A simple nod to this possibility would have been appreciated.
That's not what we get. This book leads IF sufferers to believe that the answer lies in witch doctors, accupuncture, yoga, high colonics, wheatgrass shots, strange fruit concoctions, positive imagery, accupressure and daily visits to your local organic grocer--and ignorance of any and all Western treatments. Unfortunately, while those approaches may help a patient deal with the emotional, and some physical, aspects of IF, there's no evidence whatsoever that they work. Ms. Indichova does IF sufferers a disservice by not presenting a more balanced case.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have ever read! A must read!, Sept. 5 2003
By A Customer
I absolutely love this book! One of my all-time favorites (and I am an avid reader). This book provided me with strength, confidence and inspiration at a very difficult time in my life - at the age of 31, I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure due to a high FSH reading and was told by my doctor that I would only be able to conceive, if at all, if I used an egg donor. Several other specialists in NYC re-affirmed this diagnosis. Then, I found Inconceivable. Not only is Julia Indichova an exceptional writer, but she was able to relay the exact feelings I was going through during this difficult time. I found her suggestions to improve your quality of life and health in a natural manner (via yoga, imagery, diet, etc. as opposed to taking medications) extremely helpful and liberating. Everything she said in her book completely appealed to me and I started working on improving my quality of life via the book's suggestions, despite what the doctors had told me. As of this date, I have lost count as to how many times I have read it - -every time I pick up the book I note new advice and tips. Several months after having first read her book and started taking steps to improve my quality of life, I found out that I was pregnant! I know that the lessons of Inconceivable were an invaluable tool that led me to my pregnancy. While Julia's story is also one of high FSH, anyone going through difficulty conceiving a child of their own will find this book immensely helpful. I cannot recommend it enough!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as helpful as I'd hoped, Aug. 27 2003
By A Customer
I agree with the other reviews that Julia's story is compelling and well-told. I expected to read an inspirational story that would be relevant to my situation (ttc 1+ yrs). I have normal FSH levels, and we will be starting AI, hoping we don't have to proceed beyond that into other techniques not covered by my insurance. Julia's FSH levels were elevated, which is why she was told she wasn't a good candidate. If you also have elevated FSH, this book may provide more inspiration to you than it did to me. If your FSH is normal, this story probably won't help you that much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally powerful!, July 11 2003
A.D. (Salem, MA United States) - See all my reviews
As soon as I read this book, it changed my way of thinking. I found Julia Indichova's book by an extraordinary coincidence while I was walking through a bookstore in Boston. After my infertility doctor told me I had no chance of conceiving, I went to that bookstore to browse for adoption books. Like many other women, I suffer from high FSH levels, the same infertility condition Julia Indichova suffered. This book came to my life at a moment of absolute despair, depression and anger at Western medicine. There are many books out there on infertility, but I hadn't seen one about high FSH levels, which made me feel like I was such an exceptional case, with no solution. I bought this book in May shortly after my FSH test revealed 25.5 level. I have followed the path she describes in the book particularly those she recommends for naturally boosting the body, believing in my mind that I could lower my FSH levels if I wanted to. Maybe just coincidence but I got pregnant in June. I strongly believe that her book made a big impact in my mind, and how my mind and body communicated. I am now 7 weeks pregnant and hoping that in February I will deliver successfully.
Julia is an exceptional writer. She communicates the exact feelings women experience when struggling with infertility. She has a natural way of giving hope, and making changes in someone's life. She made me realize that I did everything I could to conceive and if it hadn't happened, then I was emotionally ready for adoption. I recommend this book to women with high FSH levels and everyone sharing their pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary and honest, June 4 2003
Jan (New York) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful book. In a powerful and yet gentle way, it has changed my life. I read it in it entirety the evening I purchased it and have reread portions many times. This is not a how-to book with a strict regiment to follow. Instead it is one woman's heartfelt story of the pain of infertility and her personal quest to find answers and solutions beyond the fertility clinics. Julia tells her story with remarkable honesty and feeling. I strongly recommend it to anyone willing to use the book as an inspired guideline with which to begin their own journey towards enhanced fertility and overall well being.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!!!!!!!!!!, May 29 2003
By A Customer
Julia Indichova has written a book that is as much about empowerment as anything else. The fertility maze can be overwhelming, discouraging and terrifying. But Inconceivable reminds us all that our health and yes, our fertility is aas much in our hands as the "experts".
There is no magic formula or exact equation here. Instead, there is a roadmap; one that promises a sense of self, a real path to health and ultimately a knowlege that your fertility is available.
Julia had every version of "no" and "you can't" thrown at her by the "experts". With hard work and a dedication to what she knew was possible she conceived and bore her daughter.
This book is so well writen , so deeply felt and so ultimately true. Do yourself a favor and read it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Inconceivable: A Woman's Triumph over Despair and Statistics
Inconceivable: A Woman's Triumph over Despair and Statistics by Julia Indichova (Paperback - Oct. 9 2001)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24