Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 14, 2007
I love "The Golden Girls" and couldn't wait to read Rue McClanahan's autobiography. She writes in a manically bubbly style, gushing over the highs and lows of a long show-biz career and a love-life that was so hot it would make even Blanche Devereaux blush.

Eddie Rue McClanahan was born into a conservative Oklahoma family during the Depression, and from an early age wanted two things: To be an actress and to be popular. Popular, to Rue, meant being loved and adored by men, and she was always falling in love too easily and only later wondering why she didn't make better decisions. She was a struggling stage actress in New York with two quick marriages and divorces under her belt when she met Norman Lear who began casting her in TV sitcoms. Two more divorces later, she landed the role of the man-hungry Blanche on "Golden Girls," and gained world-wide fame. Breast cancer and husband number 5 bring her story up to date.

I was fascinated with Rue's unfailing optimism, her determination to succeed in show business, and her abysmally poor decisions when it came to romance. I gave up counting how many affairs she had, and was slack-jawed at the speed with which she married and then hated each husband. Some were physically and emotionally abusive, which was beyond self-destructive; her revolving-door romances were selfish and cruel to her son, who often disliked and was abused by her men. Now in her seventies, Rue still sees herself as an ageless coquette, the belle of the ball desired by every man who sees her. She's happy now, and I'm glad, but her choices in life were often childish and always self-serving. Rue's fans won't be able to put this page-turner down.
on November 11, 2015
Let me say that I am a huge fan of the Golden Girls and Blanche was one of my favourite characters. This books takes you on the see saw ride that is Rue. It goes from early childhood to her many failed marriages. It shows you just what a person Rue was from her bravery and her helpfulness to her friends.

I love how Rue was and what she did in her career as well as her life. She wasn't like most of the other Actresses you hear about where they are nothing but Glitz and Glamour. This is something completely different. Here is a lady who you know didn't just abandon her friends and she showed such low self esteem which had a lot of personal issues for her including her marriages to the wrong person.

This book was amazing to read however I did find that it lagged a little bit at the start when it talked about her early life. Everything after was just great
on April 11, 2011
The Golden Girls are one of my favourite shows and I watch the reruns over and over. Rue McClanahan's real life was very similar to Blanche's on the show....just as flamboyant and risque. Unfortunately she chose the wrong men in her life. I learned a lot about the 'real' Rue in this book as she held nothing back. I enjoyed it from cover to cover. I was very sad to hear she passed away in June 2010 but she is remembered by many...
on November 22, 2015
this book is all about her and a few other persons
on November 21, 2015